Author Topic: G.A. Aiken  (Read 8281 times)

SMichelle

• Tool Wrangler
G.A. Aiken
« on: May 13, 2009, 03:53:22 pm »
Just wondering if anyone else has read the "dragon kin" series.  (I was unsure if I should put this in the romance or speculative fiction section)

The books are sort of medieval fantasy romances' where the women are tough and the alpha-males are dragons that can take human form.  I originally discovered this series at http://www.mrsgiggles.com/

I don't know if I would rate the books as highly as she did, but I did find them to be a lot of fun!

http://gaaiken.com/index.php
1. Dragon Actually
2. About a Dragon
3. What a Dragon Should Know (out in Sept. 2009)

(back cover of what a dragon should know...)

Only for those I love would I traipse into the merciless Northlands to risk life, limb, and my exquisite beauty. But do they appreciate it? Do they say, "Gwenvael the Handsome, you are the best among us-the most loved of all dragons?" No! For centuries my family has refused to acknowledge my magnificence as well as my innate humility. Yet for them, and because I am so chivalrous, I will brave the worst this land has to offer.

So here I stand, waiting to broker an alliance with the one the Northlanders call The Beast. A being so fearful, the greatest warriors will only whisper its name. Yet I, Gwenvael, will courageously face down this terrifying…woman? It turns out the Beast, a.k.a. Dagmar Reinholdt, is a woman-one with steel-gray eyes and a shocking disregard for my good looks. Beneath her plain robes and prim spectacles lies a sensual creature waiting to be unleashed. Who better than a dragon to thaw out that icy demeanor?

And who better than a beast to finally tame a mighty dragon's heart?
Yes, but she's like 'Ooh! Pretty colors!' then 'Muahahaha! I am princess stabbity, stab, kill, kill!' -Alistair DA:O

berryblu

• Grease Monkey
Re: G.A. Aiken
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 09:30:38 pm »
:D  I have these in the original form as e-books under her other pseudonym of Shelly Laurenston.  I like all of her stuff.  They are fun to read.  I love the bit about the queen being chained up.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 09:39:18 pm by berryblu »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 09:33:08 pm »
I think I've read one of them.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 05:53:10 am »
I have the first two and found them to be an entertaining read.  I will get the third when it comes out later this year too.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 08:08:35 am »
ohhh is there a 3rd one? Woot!!! :D thanks for the heads up!
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

SMichelle

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 03:11:48 pm »
I really enjoy the humor, and the fact that the heroines are strong, smart and don't take any crap from the sexy alpha males.

I would say the one "issue" I have with these books is that Aiken uses one of the words that makes me cringe in sex scences-the "p" word. 

Honestly, I really prefer a good euphemism-thank you very much!  ;)
Yes, but she's like 'Ooh! Pretty colors!' then 'Muahahaha! I am princess stabbity, stab, kill, kill!' -Alistair DA:O

Demi

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 07:26:47 am »

I have read the first two, but i think it is the same plot in new colours.
It´s nice but if she don´t come up with something new, i won´t buy the third.
Addicted to the tales from the Bard of Hurog

Addicted Gamer

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 02:39:28 am »
I really love What a dragon should know, Gwenvael is cute, funny and absolutely clueless, while Dagmar is "looks harmless, but might kill you when swallowed after chewing"
IMO it is the best book of the three and now I am patiently waiting for book 4# Last Dragon Standing, which focuses on Keita the Red Viper and one of the lightning dragons from the north (to be honest I forgot his name >__< )

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 09:50:41 am »
I enjoyed them as well, and will keep buying them. They can be a little same-y, same-y, but the humor makes me laugh and I generally like the heroines. It's like a favorite dish at a chain restaurant. You know it's going to be the same as the last time you got it, but you still like it. :P Don't know if I've read any of the Shelly Laurentson stuff. I should maybe check those out.

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Addicted Gamer

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 11:47:48 pm »
I enjoyed them as well, and will keep buying them. They can be a little same-y, same-y, but the humor makes me laugh and I generally like the heroines. It's like a favorite dish at a chain restaurant. You know it's going to be the same as the last time you got it, but you still like it. :P Don't know if I've read any of the Shelly Laurentson stuff. I should maybe check those out.

Kate, you should definitely read the other Shelly Laurenston stuff. More humor, lots of shifter vs non-shifter logics, family dynamics (a non-shifter had a baby with her shifter husband and all those things you have to get used to when raising a shifter baby), normal shifters vs hybrids, you just gotta love 'em all.