Author Topic: My fantasy literature research paper  (Read 4904 times)

Kiomey

My fantasy literature research paper
« on: May 03, 2009, 04:37:17 pm »
Hey, I am currently working on a research paper, linking feminist theories and various shape-shifting female characters/stories. I'm currently looking at The Mercy Thompson novels as well as two other author's series, Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville series and Rachel Vincent's Werecat series.
I was interested to see the reaction of modern fantasy works to feminist theory and if it was intentional that many female-shifters have issues with the pack/pecking orders conflicting with their ideals as women.

Any interest in the topic of discussion? Thoughts? Or am I just spewing broth in order to pass my class?

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
Re: My fantasy literature research paper
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 08:40:12 am »
Are you looking to ask Patty a question or start a discussion?

Kiomey

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 05:11:48 pm »
Either/or. I just thought to toss my topic out there  :-\ I suppose I should've put it somewhere else but I was interested in seeing if Mrs. Briggs had anything to say on it.  ^-^;

charmed

• Mechanic
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 05:16:15 pm »
In that case Kiomey, I'm going to move this over to Ask Patty as this forum is for messages, not questions or discussions. You could also try PM'ing her though she's not often on the board.

charmed, mod
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 06:09:12 pm by charmed »
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 05:17:15 pm »
It usually takes her a while to reply to these, so she may not reply in time for you to turn in your paper, but I would love to see a discussion on this!

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 01:39:42 pm »
Oh, oh this is cool.

I know why I do it.  I'm not sure about other writers.  To me the issue of dominance/ men vrs women happens because of several things I knew about the werewolves --

Most Alphas are older wolves who don't accept change really well -- and to them women's lib is a recent event.  Take Adam, who grew up in the 50's for instance.  To them, men's jobs are to protect the women and children, and to provide for them.  And the men who survive the Change are mostly stubborn, Type-A personalities.  Not always the nicest people to deal with -- and they tend to want to control everyone around them.

Also, I decided that women don't make the Change very well.  Why?  I don't know.  It sounded like something that would cause tension. Mike spent a couple of years in Venezuela, where more women survive to adulthood than men -- and that causes some interesting social things in a culture where most women are not allowed to work in real jobs (this was 25 yrs ago, I hope that things have changed since then).   Many of my world building decisions are spur of the moment things -- and this one I've had some fun with.

Finally, in a pack of wolves (the real ones) males and females have definite roles and heirarchy is very clear.  Throw that mindset into a werewolf pack of dominant, old males and see what happens.
Best,
Patty