Author Topic: Calling All Book Pushers, Looking for Recommendations.  (Read 27917 times)

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
Re: Calling All Book Pushers, Looking for Recommendations.
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 06:17:11 pm »
Pretty much for anyone Terry Brooks Shannara series, Got me into fantasy as an adult but nothing a young teen can't read.

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2009, 06:19:03 pm »
I was a teen when the first books came out and had no problem with them. I enjoyed them, but the later ones not so much.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

marley

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2009, 04:40:41 pm »
i've always been bugged by "weird" covers. no offense or anything mrs briggs. some of my favorite books have covers like that but i've been hesitant to read them in the first place for fear of some trashy sex filled romance. but i must say, and i dont know if my comment should go to dan dos santos or patricia  briggs but i really like the tire iron (i believe) over her shoulder. but overly revealing covers, like some of the alternate lilith saintcrow ones make me hesitant to read them around conservative people who's opinion i value. but i'm sorry, that just me.
and try anything by Terry Pratchett
anything by Simon R Green
and the Danny Valentine series by lilith saintcrow

white_unicorn

• Mechanic
  • The stories are written at Wattpad - Wolf_Lady :)
    • Wattpad - Stories
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2009, 08:37:54 am »
How about some PC and Kristin Cast (not sure if someone had already recomended it.... I still have to read the House Of night series....

CT ADAMS and Cathy Clamp (especially the first 2 books on their Sazi series) Weres in many different species with some smex but not... too much I think

If you are into Historical fiction.... Jeanne Kalogridis has a trilogy with the Family Dracul that i enjoyed and some other books....

How could I forget!!!! The Urban Werewolf tales by  Karen MacInerney I am currently waiting the 3rd book... It's quite funny and it's the story of a female werewolf with a witch for a mother who tries to live a normal life...

also the Caitlin Kittredge series though it didn't hold me for too long.... it's just... not up to the level of other stories....

desertlass

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2009, 08:19:19 am »
Two books which I've read recently which I REALLLY enjoyed are:

Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games .  A child from each village is sent to a gaming area where they must fight to the death.  Only the last one standing survives.  It sounds gruesome, but is a wonderful read.

Patrick Rothfuss (sp?), The Name of the Wind

Both of these are excellently written and are very compelling stories.  Warning, however, The Name of the Wind is over 900 pages long and it took me a good 200 pages to really get into the story.  I'd definately recommend sticking with it, however.

Other urban fantasy authors (I don't think they've been named yet):

Scott Westerfeld, the Uglies Series.  Tanya Huff's vampire series.

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2009, 11:35:05 pm »
Steven Erikson with his series Malazan Book of the Fallen. It is a very LONG series. 8 books so far, each one averaging between 800-1200 pages. It is a very dark fantasy book series. A very good world is built in here though, lots of stuff going on.

David Weber, pretty much any of his Science Fiction works. The Honor Harrington series if you like military space opera. The Safehold series for Science Fiction mixed with old technology. Or his Hell's Gate series for magic vs technology multiverse traveling military tale.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C Clarke

turtlezipp

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2009, 06:44:24 am »
my book buddy is forever trying to get me to read the honor harrington series.  (really not my style of book sry)  :D

(assuming youve read the patricia briggs books here are some suggestions)

anyways the sci fi book collections are good... esp in my opinion "the years best science fiction second annual collection".  they have several good short stories in it.  personal favorites include "press enter" (page 153), "salvador" (page 27), and "blood child" (page 63).  especially recomend "press enter" (science fiction)

also the sword of truth series by terry goodkind is awesome.  first book in the series "wizards first rule" (DO NOT WATCH THE TV SERIES! PLEASE! uhh actually if you do watch it just dont think that the books have anything to do with it other than the same names of the people) (fantasty fiction)

"black lightning" by john saul is also another really good book as well.  (ghost/mystery/crime style)

"skin trader" by richard bachman (stephen king) is a great short story about werewolves.  however its pretty hard to find.  i acidently ran across the book with it in it years ago in a library of a city i no longer live in. :(  good luck finding it though.  if you can find the book that this story is in i would be VERY greatful. (fan fic mostly)

"Door to December" by dean koontz is an awesome book.  (with dean koontz for me its hit or miss.  really really good or not so good)  however this book rocked. (murder/ghost/mystery/mild romance)

i have tons more i loved but i think im gonna stop there for now :P

~zipp

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2009, 07:27:12 am »
"skin trader" by richard bachman (stephen king) is a great short story about werewolves.  however its pretty hard to find.  i acidently ran across the book with it in it years ago in a library of a city i no longer live in. :(  good luck finding it though.  if you can find the book that this story is in i would be VERY greatful.
"The Skin Trade" was written by George R. R. Martin, it's part of the story collection Night Visions 5
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 07:28:50 am by Gerd D. »
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

turtlezipp

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2009, 05:01:26 pm »
"skin trader" by richard bachman (stephen king) is a great short story about werewolves.  however its pretty hard to find.  i acidently ran across the book with it in it years ago in a library of a city i no longer live in. :(  good luck finding it though.  if you can find the book that this story is in i would be VERY greatful.
"The Skin Trade" was written by George R. R. Martin, it's part of the story collection Night Visions 5

actually in my research i found that one too. not exactly my style but still not bad.  also not the same book though. :(

~zipp

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2011, 01:57:33 pm »
So, do you need some suggestions of what to read next?  What style thing do you want?
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

wizardbear

• Mechanic
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2011, 12:27:29 am »
P.N. Elrod - Barrett, historical vampire series; Vampire Files, private investigator vampire series, The Adventures of Myhr

"His name is Myhr, he's half-man, half-cat and all adventure. He travels the Multiverse with Terrin, a twisted wizard whose bungled spell hurled them many dimensions away from Earth. Now they're hopping from one bizarre planet after another, trying to get home."

L. E. Modesitt - writes lots, both Sf and F. The fantasy is always very good, the science fiction is hit-or-miss. The biggest  fantasy series is Recluse- The Magic of Recluce is the first one, give it a try, maybe from the library?

Robin McKinley - Sunshine is urban fantasy, with vamps; The Blue Sword, The Hero and the Crown, and Beauty are fantasy.Very good, very enjoyable. She's written lots of other stuff, too, but try these first if you can.

Steven Brust - try the Vlad Taltos series, Vlad is a crime lord and assassin in the Elvish Mafia, these are great! Also "To Reign in Hell" which might be hard to find, kind of similar in a odd way to the flavor of "Good Omens". It's really an outstanding read, I  :-LOVE :-LOVE it.

gingkogirl

• Tinker
Anthologies
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 10:52:54 pm »
In the spirit of the lurker contest, I am trying to post.

Recently, I bought an anthology that contained a short story that I really wanted to read by an author I love.
The short story was great and I am so glad I read it. BUT, the rest of the anthology has not been so fantastic.
This often happens with anthologies: I get one story I really enjoy, find one new author to explore and then never finish
the rest of the stories. Many I times I wish that I could just pay $2.99 for a digital copy of what I REALLY want and not
bother with the rest.

How do you all feel about anthologies? Do you love 'em or hate 'em?

highcountryrider

Re: Anthologies
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 11:06:08 pm »
Mostly I like them; there have only been a couple that I didn't finish.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2011, 12:32:13 am »
I like them. It's a good way to check out new authors. So if I don't like the author, at least I didn't spend the money to buy one of their novels.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2011, 09:34:37 am »
I'm with Art.  It can be a disappointment if, like the one you just found, there's only one good story for the full novel price, that's true.
But, as Art said, it's better than buying 3-20 novels by the different authors & wasting a LOT more!
Also, one of my reasons for liking anthologies, especially the ones of honest short stories, as opposed to 3 to 6 novellas, is that you can read a story on the bus, in line at the bank or DMV, doctor's waiting room, etc. 
Something to keep in mind on the "If I don't like the short story, I'm not buying a novel by this person" thing, though is that some people don't shine in a short format, but the longer stuff could be just your cup of tea.  I'm more inclined to be cautious about a longer work by the person whose short I didn't like; buy it used, borrow from the library, then, if it's okay, make them "I need to look this over before buying, it might work, or not" authors, rather than a "buy on sight" ones.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 02:19:47 pm by Patti L. »
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.