Author Topic: Calling All Book Pushers, Looking for Recommendations.  (Read 28838 times)

berryblu

• Grease Monkey
Re: Calling All Book Pushers, Looking for Recommendations.
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 07:56:44 pm »
Can not believe you all left Jim Butcher off the list. don't forget Kim Harrison.
:o  Oops, I thought someone else had already mentioned them.   :-[

berryblu

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 08:06:08 pm »
berryblu, it would be awesome if you could give short bits of info about each author. For example, I happen to know that Sunny writes extremely explicit sex scenes -- frankly a little too much for me -- but there are a couple of other authors on that list that I don't know as much about. (Sigh, only a couple, because I am that big of a nerd...)
:)  Alright.

Carrie Vaughn - not too sexy - werewolf series with some vampire characters
Kerrelyn Sparks - sexy - vampire series
Laura Ann Gilman - not too sexy - paranormal series
Maggie Shayne - sexy - vampire series and witch series
Rebecca York - not too sexy - werewolf series with several other types of characters
Sherrilyn Kenyon - sexy - vampire/shifter series, kinda!
Christine Feehan - sexy - vampire series with shifter characters, too
J. R. Ward - very sexy - vampire series
Eileen Wilks - sexy - shifter series with paranormal, too
Lilith SaintCrow - not too sexy - paranormal series
Christine Warren - sexy - mixed series with vampires and shifters and paranormals
Sunny - very sexy - vampire series, but not your normal vampires
Lynn Viehl - sexy - vampire series with paranormals
Keri Arthur - sexy - vampire/shifter series
Marjorie M. Liu - sexy - paranormal series with many different types of others
Susan Sizemore - sexy -vampire/shifter series
Angela Knight - very sexy - vampire/paranormal/shifter series
Lynsay Sands - sexy - vampire series
Michelle Bardsley - not too sexy - vampire series (but I haven't read the last couple so the sexy part may have changed

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 08:41:44 pm »
Purplecatfish, are you looking explicitly for Urban Fantasy?  Are you even insisting on fantasy?  I have ridiculous loads of recommendations if you're going beyond UF.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

purplecatfish

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 03:00:20 am »
I'm looking for anything.  Pretty much just started reading series.  In the past the cloest I've come to a series was Anne Rice Witching Hour and the first three Vampire books.  Horror does't have much for series.  Also for the most part just started reading Romance books, I have a hard time thinking of some of the books as romance as there seems to be so much going on in the books.  To me both the Mercy books and Sookie books were much more mystery than romance but I can see how they can be considered romance as well.

The funniest part is if I just read the back of some of these books prior to getting recommendations I would have been like oh gag.  I read the Twilight books only because a co-worker said they were really good then brought them in for me to read.  I had seen them in the store several times always picked it up read the back because I kept forgetting what it was about.  Everytime I did I was like Oh Brother I don't think so and would put it down.  Ended up really liking the book. 

The Sookie books read them because of the show, have to say I enjoyed the books so much more.  Love the show don't get me wrong but the books just sucked me in.  After reading those started looking around and then found Mercy, so glad I did.  I love Mercy and this is the reason I'm looking for more. 

OK now that we've gone via France to get to the answer Anything is good.

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 03:43:03 am »
No mention of Lori Handeland so far?
The Nightcreature novels are fun to read, evil Werewolves hunted down by so called Jager-Suchers (Hunter-Searchers; that name alone is prizeless).
The first two books Blue Moon & Hunter's Moon are highly recommendable, after that they lose a bit but are still fun to read (well, in Crescent Moon, the fourth, the main characters annoyed me). Her sex scenes tend to make my giggle, but overall they are romance books first and paranormal second, especially the later books.
Eight books in the series so far which are loosely related, with each book featuring a different main character.

And yeah, early Laurell K. is a great read. Be warned, lot's of violence in the early books (before the sex takes over and spoils all the fun)!
But if you don't mind violence and like Vamp-Fiction I would also recommend to look for the Sonja Blue books by Nancy A. Collins. Midnight Blue, the omnibus edition containing the first three books (Sunglasses after Dark, In the Blood, Paint it black) is no longer in print but shouldn't be to hard to find.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 06:01:44 am »
Has you beat me!

*Ahem* to add to her wonderful recommendations here are a few of mine

Mark del Franco - Different take on druids, fae, trolls all interacting with humans.  Has a male protagonist who doesn't fit the typical UF person.  First book is called Unshapely Things (he currently has 3 in that series) and a spinoff with a female protagonist coming soon.

Lois McMaster Bujold - she has done some space opera (Vorkosigan series) and her most recent series is The Sharing Knife.  The first book in that series is called Beguilement.  Not really UF.

Kelley Armstrong - three different series the first is Otherworld which has rotating POVs in different books deals with werewolves, witches (good and bad), mediums, demons.  The first book in that series is Bitten.  She has a series about a female hitman(woman) who is an ex-cop the first one is Exit Strategy and she has a YA series which I haven't read so I really can't say anything about it.  

Lisa Shearin - Raine Benares series, funny has elves, hot goblins, magic and despite the covers really are complex stories.  The first one is Magic Lost, Trouble Found (I just pushed recommended it to my 60 yr old mother and she loved it).

J.D. Robb (Nora Roberts)- More futuristic mystery romance then UF.  The first one is Naked in Death.  They have the same female lead Eve Dallas Detective in the NYPD as her life changes with meeting, marrying a former suspect and gathering friends.  Each book shows growth in the characters.

That is all I can come up with while I am sitting at work but I will make notes of any others I can think of.  If you have tried any of these or as you try them if you give feedback then we can narrow or target our recommendations some more.  Enjoy or should I say Happy Reading! :D

Ha! Take that Maz and ninja cat army ;)

Richelle Mead!!!

;D ;D ;D

Beat you to her. ;)

And let's not forget Colleen Gleason. >:D Not to mention Diana Gabaldon

MUH AHAHAHAH!!! MUH AHAHAHAH!!! MUH AHAHAHAH!!!
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 06:10:00 am »
Forgot to describe their novels.... :P

Richelle Mead - Succubus series (about a succubus living in Seattle. There's some smex but not too much.), Vampire Academy series (haven't read this one yet, but they tell me it's good ;) ), and Dark Swan series (about a shaman who's the center of a prophecy and deals in sending faes back to where they came from).

Colleen Gleason - Gardella Vampire Chronicles. Take Buffy, send her to the Victorian era and more or less you have this. ;D

Diana Gabaldon - Outlander series. It's about a time-traveling english nurse that finds herself hurled back in time in 1743.

That's it, in a nut. ;D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 07:06:02 am »
Well, given the ages of some of the kids in the house, and that you've read Twilight,

The Young Wizards  series by Diane Duane, 13 year olds discover wizard's manuals, take the Oath and save worlds, with humor.
spin off series, Feline wizards have 2 books, "The Book of Night with Moon" and "On Her Majesties Service"

Anything, pretty much, from young readers, YA, or adult, by Dianna Wynne Jones.  She often has what seem normal people in normal situations that just . . . go odd.  Funny, usually.

Pretty much anything by Patricia C. Wrede.  The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, the Lyra books, the alternate England in Regency years, both the co-written ones starting with "Sourcery and Cecilia", and the off-shoot ones about Kim & Marelion, whose name I have trouble getting right.

Covenants  and The King's Own by Lorna Freeman, awaiting the third book about farmboy/horse trooper/mage/king's cousin/heir vegetarian (loved that touch!) Rabbit.

Horror - try F. Paul Wilson's "Repairman Jack" series.  Jack's erased himself from records, and he's the guy you want if somebody's taking advantage of the fact that you've got a cousin who's in the country illegally working at your cleaning company to not pay you for your services.  No violence, if avoidable, but you'll get your money.  Except Jack keeps running into things. . .

The "Mageworld" series by Debra Doyle & her husband, James MacDonald.  Sort of "Star Wars meets Firefly".  Two sides of the galaxy; on one side, the Adepts read what's coming and flow with it, carrying what amount to quarterstaffs, that are broken/discarded when they die.  On the other, I've forgotten what they call them, but they deliberately manipulate the threads of life and luck, wear masks to see them better, carry short staffs, the size of court swords, elaborately bound in silver, and when you kill an opponent (which the Adepts don't tend to do), you take his stick, which could be hundreds of years old. 

Jill Churchill's "Jane Jeffries" mysteries, light and fun, but realistic.  My mom was reading the first I found, put it down to make coffee, and when she sat with the coffee, saw the time.  She thought "Oh, I should turn on the news and see if they've caught that guy."  The first is "Grime and Punishment."  The first I found was "A Farewell to Yarns", a christmastime mystery.

Donna Andrews' "Meg Lanslow" mysteries, beginning with "Murder with Peacocks".  The characters, some of them, shouldn't be wandering around without keepers, which explains how Meg's life gets so complicated.  She's a blacksmith.

Dana Stabenow's mysteries, I like the Kate Shugak ones, they're all set in Alaska, but I almost cracked up when Kate was searching someone's trailer and got side tracked into reading what I recognized as "Helm", by Stephen Gould - also a good read, although it took me a few tries before I got into it. 
Which brings us to his first published book, "Jumper", which I liked much better than the movie.  Wasn't wild about the follow up, but haven't read "Griffin's Story" based on the movie version.  Love "Wildside".

Terry Pratchett's ANYTHING, if you enjoy British humor.

Sharon Lee & Steve Miller's Liaden universe novels, sort of Georgette Heyer in outer space, with some 'magic' thrown in.  Good plots, characters you can feel strongly for/about, some humor.

Most anything by Spider Robinson, I suggest starting with the first collection of his short stories, "Callahan's Crosstime Saloon."  But!  Only if you can stand/like puns.

From the children's section, Timothy Zahn's "Dragonback" series, an orphaned teen (age, as I recall, not too specific) accidentally bonds symbiotically with a 'dragon' who has to be against his skin several hours a day, when he looks like an amazing tattoo, but he comes out 3 dimensions.  He, the dragon, is a warrior poet.

Mercedes Lackey is fairly obvious, I mostly stick to the Vandar books, the various Valdemar novels and the "Oath" ones, which intersect various places, oh, and the 'Gryphon' trilogy set back when their worldscape was being shaped, 1500 years earlier.  (Didn't actually read Silver Gryphon, but liked the first two.)

I think that's enough for now.

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 08:40:43 am »
Oh! And I thought of a couple more. On the Terry Pratchett front, I pretty much ALWAYS recommend Good Omens, which was co-written by Terry and Neil Gaiman. It's a hilarious look at... the end of the world.

I actually really like Neil Gaiman's work in general, but he can be kind of dark. He first came to "fame," as it were, for The Sandman graphic novels.

I love Guy Gavriel Kay's earlier works. His last couple have lost a little something for me, but his first trilogy, The Fionavar Tapestry is incredible Tolkien-esque fantasy, in my opinion. In fact, i like him better than Tolkien because he spends more time on character development and less time describing the forest...  ;) After Fionavar, he started writing fantasy novels based a great deal on periods from Earth's past... A Song for Arbonne is based on medieval France (I think), Tigana is based in roughly Renaissance Italy, and The Lions of Al-Rassan seems to be based in Moorish Spain. I love all of those and would recommend them unreservedly.

Finally, there's Phillip Pullman, who wrote the His Dark Materials trilogy -- beginning with The Golden Compass, which was recently made into a movie. These books can be controversial because (especially in the final one, I think) Pullman tends to go off on a tear that could be considered anti-Catholic (or anti-Christian). I personally didn't see it as that offensive, but some people do.

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 08:59:59 am »
Annette Kurtis Klaus, Blood and chocolate. ;D

About Phillip Pullmann, his Sally Lockhart's trilogy is good too (The ruby in the smoke, The Shadow in the North, The tiger in the well). :)

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 09:43:17 am »
About Phillip Pullmann, his Sally Lockhart's trilogy is good too (The ruby in the smoke, The Shadow in the North, The tiger in the well). :)

Oh, hadn't read that one!

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Carradee

• writers
  • Mechanic
    • Misti Wolanski's home page
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 09:53:27 am »
If you want a lighter read, I love returning to Shanna Swendson's Enchanted, Inc. series.  The main character Kate is special because she's a magical immune.

And, despite the serious plot, a lot of funny things happen.  Like two wizards competiting to ruin Kate's date in... Once Upon Stilettos, I think it is, but it might be Damsel Under Stress.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2009, 11:23:50 pm »
Lol. I came looking for this thread since I could not for the life of me think of an author I hadn't read... and am now so inundated with ideas that I'm not sure where to start!
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2009, 02:23:26 am »
Two other authors (though they YA cataory) Robert Muchmore and John Flaganan
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2009, 10:18:51 am »
Rick Riordan, from Children's area, the Percy Jackson series about demi-gods and a prophecy regarding the end of the Olympian gods, their parents.