Author Topic: Calling All Book Pushers, Looking for Recommendations.  (Read 27918 times)

purplecatfish

Calling All Book Pushers, Looking for Recommendations.
« on: April 14, 2009, 01:00:49 pm »
OK,  so I've always been a big reader but over the past 4 month I've done pretty much nothing but read.  I work a call center and in between calls I read, during lunch I read and then when I'm home I read.  Just can't get enough.

So since Christmas I have gone though about 30 plus books (some of those have been reread).

Authors I've read in that time:

Patricia Briggs
Charlaine Harris (Sookie and Araura)
Alexandra Ivey
MaryJanice Davidson
Katie MacAlister
Anne Rice

2 Authors I haven't read but orderd books from and should be waiting for me when I get home.
Rachel Caine
Tanya Huff

I'm sure there are a couple of other authors I've left off but I'm not looking at my book shelf at home.

Any thoughs of anything else.

Just a note I'm a little hesitant on getting covers that show revealing women.  I have a 9 year old daughter and I'm trying to teach that dressing as a Bratts doll is not cool.  If you know what I mean, but that is a completely different topic all together.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Re: Calling All Book Pushers, Looking for Recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 01:36:57 pm »
LOL
You know you are going to get deluged with recs!!! :D

But these are recs-
Ann Aguirre's Grimspace series- Sci Fi UF series- if you enjoyed shows like Farscape and Firefly then you will adore this series.
She also has a new series about a woman who touches objects and knows their pasts and gets caught up with trouble. The first book is called Blue Diablo and it came out last week.
http://www.annaguirre.com/books/

The Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews- This series is written by a husband and wife team and its about a mercenary called Kate Daniels who lives in a world where magic and technology war with each other. Fantastic humour/action and a hint of romance. This series is a huge fave among Hurogians :D
http://ilona-andrews.com/

The Warprize trilogy by Elizabeth Vaughan- fantasy romance about a Princess who sacrifices herself to a conquering warlord- I know it sounds like a typical hokey harlequin romance but its more than that as the worldbuilding is really vivid and its about a clash of cultures. The romance between the hero and heroine is really well drawn out with vivid characters.
www.warprize.com

CL Wilson's Tairen Soul series - JRR Tolkien meets Anne Bishop. Its another fantasy romance series but its very epic and again the worldbuilding is really thought out with great characters.
www.clwilson.com

Talking about Anne Bishop - anything by her including the Black Jewels trilogy is made of win!!! You definitely cant go wrong with that!
www.annebishop.com

Jeanine Frost's Night Huntress series - Cat is a dhampir and hunts rogue vamps. Her love interest Bones is yummy! Think of Spike from Buffy but x100s ;D
http://www.jeanienefrost.com/

Karen Chance's Cassie Palmer series- Cassie is a clairvoyant who finds herself chosen the pythia (a priestess who can travel through time) Not everyone including dark and light mages, vampires and even gods dont like that shes one. Very funny and action packed.
www.karenchance.com

There are loads more but those are from some of my favorite authors and I think most of the covers arent explicit ;D

-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 01:58:59 pm »
The elemental logic seies by Laurie J. Marks is excellent. Wonderful worldbuilding. People solving problems by other means than violence. Very well written.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 02:03:09 pm »
Has you beat me!

*Ahem* to add to her wonderful recommendations here are a few of mine

Mark del Franco - Different take on druids, fae, trolls all interacting with humans.  Has a male protagonist who doesn't fit the typical UF person.  First book is called Unshapely Things (he currently has 3 in that series) and a spinoff with a female protagonist coming soon.

Lois McMaster Bujold - she has done some space opera (Vorkosigan series) and her most recent series is The Sharing Knife.  The first book in that series is called Beguilement.  Not really UF.

Kelley Armstrong - three different series the first is Otherworld which has rotating POVs in different books deals with werewolves, witches (good and bad), mediums, demons.  The first book in that series is Bitten.  She has a series about a female hitman(woman) who is an ex-cop the first one is Exit Strategy and she has a YA series which I haven't read so I really can't say anything about it.  

Lisa Shearin - Raine Benares series, funny has elves, hot goblins, magic and despite the covers really are complex stories.  The first one is Magic Lost, Trouble Found (I just pushed recommended it to my 60 yr old mother and she loved it).

J.D. Robb (Nora Roberts)- More futuristic mystery romance then UF.  The first one is Naked in Death.  They have the same female lead Eve Dallas Detective in the NYPD as her life changes with meeting, marrying a former suspect and gathering friends.  Each book shows growth in the characters.

That is all I can come up with while I am sitting at work but I will make notes of any others I can think of.  If you have tried any of these or as you try them if you give feedback then we can narrow or target our recommendations some more.  Enjoy or should I say Happy Reading! :D

Ha! Take that Maz and ninja cat army ;)

purplecatfish

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 02:42:15 pm »
LOL
You know you are going to get deluged with recs!!! :D

LOL I don't mind being deluged, it will keep me busy.  My husband keeps telling me to get a library card.  I keep telling him to keep flipping the channels, HA.

emmad

• Tinker
    • JDK Lodge
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 03:15:57 pm »
Ohh I can see I will use the responses to this thread as well.  Always on the lookout for new stuff.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 03:23:53 pm »
LMAO :D

Only with words like spill and ardeur. But dont scare away the newbie although if you dont mind alot of sex (there is lots of it in the latter books and hardly no plot the older books are fun).
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

purplecatfish

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 04:16:30 pm »
Laurel K Hamilton is FUN to read (though it might not be as fun since you cant play the drinking game at work) ::) ::)
OK do tell what the drinking game is.  I'm sure I figure out a way to play...LOL

LMAO :D

Only with words like spill and ardeur. But dont scare away the newbie although if you dont mind alot of sex (there is lots of it in the latter books and hardly no plot the older books are fun).
I do not mind sex at all.  It's just the cover of the books that bug me.  LOL, they need stelth covers.

acread

• Tool Wrangler
  • the local mad scientist
    • AC Read Bookstore
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 04:22:03 pm »
Try CE Murphy. She is great. Paranormal advanture. Her Walker Papers are very original, interesting. There is humor action and mystery. Covers are nice too. :D

Also give Kat Richardson a try. She is a new writer. She writes paranormal mystery. Very interesting stuff. if you like detective stories and fantasy it is a great blend of the two.

I went through a phase...

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 05:14:43 pm »
The JD Robb In death books are great but I recall HAS the book pusher led me to Sherrilyn Kenyon abd the Dark Hunter books. I now own both complete series, helped me make it to the next Patty Briggs book....

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

purplecatfish

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 06:22:38 pm »
hmmm guess I'll be busy on Amazon tomorrow looking at everything. ;D

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 06:52:12 pm »
Oh, so glad I've found this thread; I've been adding to my Amazon wish-list too. :D

purplecatfish, I second the recommendation for almost all of these. For CE Murphy, I prefer the Walker Papers series over the Negotiator series that I had read, but your results may vary. :P

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

berryblu

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 07:17:11 pm »
Take a look at these authors, too:   ;D

Carrie Vaughn
Kerrelyn Sparks
Laura Ann Gilman
Maggie Shayne
Rebecca York
Sherrilyn Kenyon
Christine Feehan
J. R. Ward
Eileen Wilks
Lilith SaintCrow
Christine Warren
Sunny
Lynn Viehl
Keri Arthur
Marjorie M. Liu
Susan Sizemore
Angela Knight
Lynsay Sands
Michelle Bardsley

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 07:25:05 pm »
Can not believe you all left Jim Butcher off the list. don't forget Kim Harrison.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 07:51:13 pm »
berryblu, it would be awesome if you could give short bits of info about each author. For example, I happen to know that Sunny writes extremely explicit sex scenes -- frankly a little too much for me -- but there are a couple of other authors on that list that I don't know as much about. (Sigh, only a couple, because I am that big of a nerd...)

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!