Author Topic: Nalini Singh - Psy/Changeling and Guild Hunter Series  (Read 163443 times)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
Re: Nalini Singh - Psy/Changeling and Guild Hunter Series
« Reply #510 on: May 31, 2012, 06:48:11 am »
A selection from the first chapter of Archangel's Storm is here. It's really nice :)
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #511 on: June 07, 2012, 04:03:10 am »
I read Tangle of Need, and was a smidge disappointed with it. I was happy that it was different, in a sense that Riaz and Adria didn't suddenly develop a mating bond at the last second. In the series it's been said that not all couples are mated, or become mated, so it makes it more real by adhering to the rules of the world. But I can see how the sudden change would annoy people without the ultimate HEA at the end.

What really disappointed me though was that the main romance felt like a subplot in this book. I know that the overall story arc has to start coming together in order to rap it up, but there was a lot of different elements going on at the same time that took over the story.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #512 on: June 13, 2012, 11:48:22 am »
I just finished Tangle of Need and liked it. I did also feel like a lot of the book dealt with things other than the romance between Riaz and Adria, but that didn't bother me. I really wanted to know how the plot progressed with the other topics. And I really liked seeing Hawke and Sienna progress in their relationship. I was also happy about the end in that Riaz and Adria didn't have a mating bond. It was more realistic this way. And it was written such that it left open the prospect of them eventually getting one. If Singh had Riaz & Adria have one at the moment they were attacked by the Pure Psy, it would've been way too reminiscent of Mercy & Riley and Hawke & Sienna. This way it wasn't as predictable, which I liked.

As for the identity of the Ghost Grr! I was thinking it really might've been Aden or maybe Vasic, but Singh ruled those two out. I'm still only left with Kaleb as an option that I can see. And it looks like Kaleb did find the person he was looking for. I'm not sure if he likes or hates this person, though. Very interesting.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #513 on: January 24, 2013, 06:32:28 pm »
So, I've just reread the series (skipping Play of Passion 'cause it was already checked out and reading Tangle of Need for the first time) and I still haven't the wildest guess over who the Ghost is.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #514 on: February 11, 2013, 04:06:03 pm »

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #515 on: February 12, 2013, 05:05:34 am »
Thanks Zee  :)

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #516 on: May 16, 2013, 12:07:50 am »
Just a headsup! Nalini is going to have a tour in the US and she has a signing date in the UK London as well! Full details here.
http://nalinisingh.blogspot.co.nz/2013/05/usa-london-tour.html
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Tambayo

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #517 on: May 19, 2013, 02:42:56 pm »
More news : expert from Heart of Obsidian (chapters 1 & 2) wil be on the website late evening on monday.

http://www.nalinisingh.blogspot.nl/2013/05/excerpt-upcoming-heart-of-obsidian.html

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #518 on: June 06, 2013, 03:11:33 pm »
I finished Heart of Obsidian and loved how Singh made Kaleb so approachable, yet kept his character. A few things I was "huh?" on, but generally really liked it.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #519 on: June 06, 2013, 03:21:49 pm »
I'm looking forward to reading this so much.

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #520 on: June 06, 2013, 04:11:38 pm »
For me it was merely "meh," but that's mostly how I feel about this series in general these days.  There are only two that I have really enjoyed: Slave to Sensation and Caressed by Ice.

I think Singh is a good writer and I enjoy very much her general concept, but for whatever reason, my enjoyment of her books deteriorates as the series go on. 
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #521 on: June 07, 2013, 01:00:30 pm »
They do get kinda repetitive after awhile. I think I liked this one overall because Singh didn't back off Kaleb's lack of empathy, yet he was still a compelling figure. I don't like characters like Kaleb in general, but she made me like him - mostly. I say mostly because I really do dislike it when a character is only good because of a woman. Or "she's a good influence on him." Can't he be a good person on his own? I mean, it's the trope of a good girl reforming a bad boy. So what happens if Sahara dies before he does - in the long run? Does he go back to being what he is? Probably. So that was one "meh/huh" for me.

I did like the progression of the overall plot about Silence, although like the characters in the book, I thought the actions of Pure Psy made no sense. Why the mass terrorism? How is that supposed to bring people over to their side? I get the whole "kill everyone off and leave the strong" idea - I see that as a more pure rationalization - but it makes no logical sense.

And I did like how she revealed the Ghost's identity.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #522 on: June 09, 2013, 10:57:21 am »
 I mostly liked it.

As for the thing about Pure Psy, I don't think they were really trying to sway people to their side as much as they were "cleansing the psy" sort according to their new religion. Terrorism or the idea that you need to clean your people never really makes logical sense. To me the Pure Psy fanatics seemed to be victims of the illness caused by Silence. They believed themselves to be rational but were really quite insane.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

pjschnyder

• Grease Monkey
    • PJ Schnyder
« Reply #523 on: June 23, 2013, 03:32:37 pm »
I enjoyed Heart of Obsidian overall, but I think the thing that I loved the most was the insertion of little Easter Eggs - little references back to other stories, even the short stories, to tie up loose ends.
So with every light, there is a dark and every happiness, there is a sadness. It is the contrast that makes every moment something experienced so vividly and so deeply.

http://pjschnyder.com

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #524 on: June 27, 2013, 11:46:52 am »
I agree pjschnyder. We finally found out who saved Annie, (even though I already knew the answer!), it was nice to have it confirmed. I hadn't quite realised how big a role Enrique would have in this book. *shudder*

So who's story is next? Who do you want to read next?

I'm intrigued by Alice. Or the love/hate relationship between Kenji and Jem.