Author Topic: Nalini Singh - Psy/Changeling and Guild Hunter Series  (Read 163262 times)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
Re: Nalini Singh - Psy/Changeling and Guild Hunter Series
« Reply #480 on: September 24, 2011, 07:48:58 pm »
Huh. I'm not feeling it. He looks sweaty and dirty and a little like he has the beginnings of a black eye. Leaning up against a overwrought tapestry.  I much prefer the old style of the covers.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #481 on: September 25, 2011, 01:43:18 am »
overwrought tapestry  !  LOL
A very good description.
At first I had a similar reaction to you Cerulean, but is growing on me, as unstable as things are becoming, somehow someone who looks like they have had a rough time is fitting imo. The tapestry is still overwrought though, I can't think of anything that can save it from itself.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #482 on: October 18, 2011, 04:46:26 pm »
As much as I enjoyed Archangel's Blade, I was also disappointed. I found there was too much romantic angst and not enough plot and action.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #483 on: October 21, 2011, 10:58:59 am »
As much as I enjoyed Archangel's Blade, I was also disappointed. I found there was too much romantic angst and not enough plot and action.

Didn't love it, either, Art.  I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars, I guess.  I had several issues:

1) The cover. Yeah, yeah, don't judge a book by its cover, but that cover was awful!!

2) Honor reminded me of Katya from the Psy-changeling series, and I just never really cared for her.  It was difficult for me to buy into her story -- horribly tortured/raped for 2 months, and yet she seemed quick to recover.

3) The two plotlines -- searching for Honor's abductors AND searching for the guy who was making the baby-vamps -- kept getting mixed up in my mind.  At some point in the story, I started thinking that they were related somehow:  as if the person in charge of her abduction was the same person who was making the baby vamps.  The plot was just too muddied.

4) I would have liked to have had more Raphael and Elena.

5) These names!!  *roll eyes* Ransom, Honor, Sorrow, Venom.  It’s like a bunch of BDB names only without the Hs.  (Rhansom, Hohnor, Sorrhow, Vhenohm.)
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer

Varg

• Pack Member
« Reply #485 on: November 09, 2011, 01:56:34 pm »
Whee! :D

-Leo Tolstoy

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #486 on: January 06, 2012, 03:17:50 pm »

Varg

• Pack Member
« Reply #487 on: January 07, 2012, 09:32:54 am »
:D

-Leo Tolstoy

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #488 on: January 08, 2012, 12:21:04 pm »
Judd & Brenna short. :D

LOL. Clearly they're watching Syfy creature features.  :D
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #489 on: March 01, 2012, 02:11:43 am »
Angel's Flight is a new anthology with all the Guild hunter novellas and one extra about Jessamy and Galen. Their story is interesting but it really made me impatient for Illium and Jason's stories.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #490 on: March 01, 2012, 04:40:19 pm »
Angel's Flight is a new anthology with all the Guild hunter novellas and one extra about Jessamy and Galen. Their story is interesting but it really made me impatient for Illium and Jason's stories.

I read Galen and Jessamy's story last night.  It's timed 400 years before the Raphael/Elena timeline.  I didn't remember from the main books that Jess and Galen were together.
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Varg

• Pack Member
« Reply #491 on: March 02, 2012, 06:38:08 am »
It is mentioned only once in passing. I think it was one time when Elena was leaving the childrens school with Jessamy and Galen came to pick her up.

-Leo Tolstoy

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #492 on: March 24, 2012, 06:21:13 am »
When Blaze of Memory was released I wasn't able to get past the first chapter, not sure why, I don't remember what bugged me about it. Anyway, last night I was looking at the rest of the psy/changeling books I missed and since I can't read a series out of order I decided to suck it up and read Blaze of Memory so I can move on in the series... I devoured it and stayed up way too late to finish it. Now I'm really curious about why I had disliked it so much in the first place  ???

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #493 on: March 24, 2012, 08:24:19 am »
Probably in the wrong mood when you tried the first time.

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #494 on: March 24, 2012, 02:30:26 pm »
Probably in the wrong mood when you tried the first time.

Yes, that happens to me, too.  I disliked the Black Jewels Trilogy the first time I read it, but then fell in love with it later.

I didn't like Blaze of Memory, either, but I haven't tried to re-read it yet.