Author Topic: Nalini Singh - Psy/Changeling and Guild Hunter Series  (Read 163279 times)

Nifty

• Mechanic
Re: Nalini Singh - Psy/Changeling and Guild Hunter Series
« Reply #390 on: November 03, 2010, 07:43:03 pm »
There's something very elemental about the changelings.  I guess I respond to their combination of intellect and instincts.  They're smart, but they have that balance of reason and emotion.  And there's something very sensual about them. 

As a reader, I always feel a need to be able to relate to the characters.  With the changelings, even though they are fantastical in some sense, I do feel that I can relate to them -- to their animal instincts, their need for pack, their tactile delight in the world.  Maybe it's the Taurus in me...or the dog-lover.  I dunno.  I just feel a sense of connection to the changelings.

(My exhusband was an engineer by training and occupation and was a very logical, rational, methodical, linear person.  Our brains did not relate at all.  He was very contemptuous of my emotionality, and phrases like "You're so emotional" were used as insults.  We were in therapy one day when our therapist told my ex that actually, I was the more advanced of the two of us because I was able to balance emotion AND reason, and not rely on one to the exclusion of the other.  Not that my ex gave a fig for that opinion of hers, but still...it warmed me!  It felt like vindication.)

So anyway....   The Psy, because they're more governed by logic and reason than emotion, feel unnatural and uninteresting to me.  I think it's like the "uncanny valley."  They are somewhat repellent to me.  They don't quite come across as human, and when they DO feel emotions, it still doesn't always seem genuine to me.  More like play-pretend. (Which is not intended to be a knock against Singh's writing.) 

The only psy main protagonist in the series that I like is Judd, and I often wonder if that's because of Judd...or because his story took place within the SnowDancer environs and pack, and so gave me a heaping dose of the changelings I love and feel drawn to.  But also, Judd was emotional without being emotional. I don't know how else to explain it.  In all the other books, the psy protagonists were the females, and so their emotionality translates as cloying and immature to me.  Helpless, needy.  (As I type this post, I wonder if what repels me is the age-old device of the man awakening the woman.  There's something kind of inherently sexist in that device, and maybe that's another reason I have found the non-changeling / psy-focused storylines to be offputting.)
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
« Reply #391 on: November 03, 2010, 11:16:28 pm »
I totally agree with you nifty...

I think the changelings really are the motor of the series.... I guess people's reactions would probably have been a little better if Nalini had thrown in the two books without changelings a bit more randomly in the series and not directly after each other, but what's done is done. They weren't bad books, they just didn't grab me like the changeling stories do.

I liked Play of Passion. The glimpses of Hawke and Sienna were great and I'm looking forward to Hawke's story. I hope that all this build-up will lead to a great story!
My favourite stories so far probably were Riley and Mercy and Judd and Brenna. It was nice seeing all of them again. And I liked seeing Ria again, too!!!

I really, really like Drew's playful side. He is a dominant male, but he has that boyish charm to go with it. and indigo was always one of the characters I really liked. Some of the scenes felt a bit constructed, but all in all it was  a very enjoyable read and seeing so many loved characters again makes up for a lot!!!

GW  WK  WH

lilliana

« Reply #392 on: November 04, 2010, 04:27:43 am »
I really enjoyed this story. :) I thought Indigo was overly stubborn and her expectations were over the top and Drew, being loving and playful was just the wolf to open up that hard shell she had built around herself. Love Drew.   :-LOVE

The last 2 books were okay, I liked Dev's story more than Max's but neither one had the same feel to them like the Changelings stories do.

I'm extremely excited for Hawke's book. :D Getting to see Hawke and Sienna interact together has made me antsy to see how they end up together. I'm hoping she is a little bit older by then. I'm questioning the age difference even though I know it may not be that big of deal to some but 19 seems so young to me.

I'm assuming that Lara and Walker's story will be after Hawke's book. I'm looking forward to that one too.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #393 on: November 04, 2010, 04:38:00 am »
I really enjoyed this story. :) I thought Indigo was overly stubborn and her expectations were over the top and Drew, being loving and playful was just the wolf to open up that hard shell she had built around herself. Love Drew.   :-LOVE

The last 2 books were okay, I liked Dev's story more than Max's but neither one had the same feel to them like the Changelings stories do.

I'm extremely excited for Hawke's book. :D Getting to see Hawke and Sienna interact together has made me antsy to see how they end up together. I'm hoping she is a little bit older by then. I'm questioning the age difference even though I know it may not be that big of deal to some but 19 seems so young to me.

I'm assuming that Lara and Walker's story will be after Hawke's book. I'm looking forward to that one too.

I think its going to be set several months after the events of this book. Since the last 2 books focused on the upcoming war/confrontation with the two different Psy factions and danger towards the Changelings I don't suspect it wont be long until Heny/Shoshanna make their next move. I don't think Hawke is like 15 years older than Sienna right? I think that's stretching the age difference but it can work. One of the best romances I have read was The Immortal series with Daine and Numair and it worked and they had a student/teacher relationship although it never felt like he was taking advantage of her.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

lilliana

« Reply #394 on: November 04, 2010, 04:55:18 am »
I just read a Q&A with Nalini on another forum and someone asked how long Hawke has been the Snowdancer Alpha. Answer: he's been the alpha for a decade. He became a young Alpha like Lucas. So I'm assuming the age differences isn't that large of a gap as I was assuming. He's probably around 28-29yo.  :)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #395 on: November 04, 2010, 05:00:32 am »
I just read a Q&A with Nalini on another forum and someone asked how long Hawke has been the Snowdancer Alpha. Answer: he's been the alpha for a decade. He became a young Alpha like Lucas. So I'm assuming the age differences isn't that large of a gap as I was assuming. He's probably around 28-29yo.  :)
That is actually not bad at all! I think because Hawke is an Alpha he comes across as much older than Sienna than he really is. Also Lucas became alpha at a young age so it fits. Another thing is that you can have vampires in other UF/paranormal books who are centuries but their heroines are like in their 20s but people don't get upset about that but there is still a huge age difference- makes you think its all pretty relative :D LOL
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

lilliana

« Reply #396 on: November 04, 2010, 05:06:24 am »
 LOL So true.

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
« Reply #397 on: November 04, 2010, 06:09:05 am »
hmmmm, I will have to reread, but I always thought Riley and Hawke were pretty much the same age and that Riley was in his early thirties.

GW  WK  WH

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #398 on: November 04, 2010, 07:16:03 am »
The age difference doesn't bother me at all.  "Age" is just a variable -- what would disturb me would be how they behaved toward
one another.  If Hawke treated her like a child -- like he was the parent and she was the child -- then that would bother me,
but in that case it still wouldn't be about age as much as about disparity in their relationship.  They can have a huge age difference
and still be partners in the true sense of the word...still have an equal partnership, in which each brings something that enriches
and solidifies the relationship.

Hawke is powerful; Sienna is powerful.  Hawke has experiences Sienna doesn't have -- like sexual experience -- but Sienna probably
has some experiences Hawke doesn't have, because of her upbringing in Psy. 

Even if she's 18 when they get together, 18 is an adult.  It's not like she's 12.

And besides, on a personal note, I've always liked romances that feature a man who waits for the woman to grow up.  I don't know
why.  Like...Rising Tides by Nora Roberts.  Ethan is several years older than Grace and it gave him some bad moments when he was
a young man lusting after 14-year-old Grace.   (I think he's 7-10 years older than she.  Something like that.)  But doesn't it say something
about the man's character that he had those powerful feelings and pushed them aside, because he knew they were inappropriate?
Hawke is having the same sort of hard time, for the same reason.  If Sienna's been there for 3 years, then she was about 14 when
she first came into the pack.  Hawke's whiskers probably started to quiver for her then.  But obviously he's a man of honor who's not
going to act on those urges with such a young woman.  He's giving her time to grow up -- and he may not realize it, but he's also
giving Sienna time to make up her own mind and decide what she wants. 

I'm totally on-board with pairing and have no issues with the age difference at all.
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

lilliana

« Reply #399 on: November 04, 2010, 07:39:15 am »
I'm completely on board with the pairing and I see your point. In my mind what I was thinking is that Hawke is a powerful Alpha and Sienna is just now becoming a woman. I thought about how I was when I was her age and being with an older man can be difficult because there are things I didn't understand about being a mature adult in a mature relationship - I've been there so I know this from experience. Obviously were not talking about me here, it just bothered me at first. Not so much anymore. Age doesn't define a relationship.

Hawke is a good man for waiting so long to explore his feelings for Sienna. We don't really know much about her yet so I don't have much to go on as far as who she is and how she handles Hawke. Apparently, she seems to be the only person who can handle him. ;D It will be interesting to see what both of them bring to the table in this relationship. I'm especially curious about Hawke's past and finding out what happen to him as a child, why the paintings on the walls are so important, and how he became Alpha at such a young age.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #400 on: November 04, 2010, 10:08:27 am »
I loved the Hawke/Sienna moments in Play of Passion. I'm really looking forward to their book.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #401 on: November 06, 2010, 02:55:52 pm »
I found a small Kiss of Snow snippet.

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #402 on: November 06, 2010, 03:30:37 pm »
I wonder what has him in a foul, violent, tense-to-the-max mood???  (kidding!)

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #403 on: November 06, 2010, 06:21:29 pm »
Well, I really loved the book. I so heart Drew, the way he balances his playful side with his very serious side. And as a serious strong "broad" I kind of understood Indigo's hesitation about how to balance their relationship.

As far as the "he'll only get more dominant" info... my impression was that she had made up her mind to accept the mating bond before that, based upon the realization that Drew would never treat her the way that her aunt's mate treated her. It was more of a... "huh, how do you like that?" thing to me. And I LOVED seeing more about Hawke.

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

lilliana

« Reply #404 on: November 08, 2010, 06:04:04 am »
I emailed Nalini and asked her Hawke's age...

Her response: Hawke's age is 32 as of Caressed By Ice.

Now we know.  ;)

Kate - Yes! That's the impression I got from the conversation too.  :)