Author Topic: Nalini Singh - Psy/Changeling and Guild Hunter Series  (Read 163258 times)

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
Re: Nalini Singh - Psy/Changeling and Guild Hunter Series
« Reply #195 on: October 08, 2009, 08:15:11 pm »
It should be working.  We changed the template today so that might have caused a few glitches.  Here is the link to the home page http://www.thebookpushers.com/ and just to get back on topic ;)  here is the link to the meet up with Nalini Singh http://www.thebookpushers.com/2009/10/wheeeeeeeeee-bookpushers-had-meetup.html.  Hope that works.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #196 on: October 09, 2009, 12:16:04 pm »
Really sorry about that guys :(
But everything is back up with a better shiny layout and to get back on track :P

Who cant wait for Blaze of Memory? :D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #197 on: October 20, 2009, 09:27:01 am »
Just two more weeks until the next Psy/Changeling story!  I'm not particularly stoked about this character or his story, but I ejoy the overall storyline, so I'm happy for another dose of wolves and leopards.
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
« Reply #198 on: October 20, 2009, 09:48:02 am »
I'm happy for another dose of wolves and leopards.

bOuNcY   me too, me too  bOuNcY

GW  WK  WH

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #199 on: October 20, 2009, 11:15:12 am »
Is Dev Santos the leader of the non-psy group? I'm trying to remember who he is?  ???

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #200 on: October 20, 2009, 11:47:42 am »
He heads up the Shine (? I think that's what it's called) Foundation...that foundation that tracks all those kids who are the "Forgotten."  Most of the kids have psy somewhere in their family tree.
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #201 on: October 20, 2009, 12:34:45 pm »
Yeah, that's the one I was talking about. Well, yeah, he's not my fave, but I have faith in Nalini. ;)

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #202 on: October 20, 2009, 08:07:58 pm »
Ohh Ohh 2 weeks! *excited*

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #203 on: November 01, 2009, 01:47:57 pm »
Excerpt from Archangel's Kiss is up!  WOW!!! http://www.nalinisingh.com/archangel.html

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #204 on: November 01, 2009, 02:13:14 pm »
This series is not "Wow!" for me, but I AM looking forward to the next book.  Thanks for the link to the excerpt.  :)  It'll be interesting to see how Elena and Raphael's relationship develops.  I can understand his statement that she's not his equal, despite her wings, and that she is his...his possession.  But considering that they have an emotional connection, there needs to be some parity between them.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #205 on: November 01, 2009, 02:24:41 pm »
Wow was the excerpt ;).  I agree with you that there needs to be some parity and I am very curious to see how Nalini will handle it. 

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #206 on: November 01, 2009, 02:33:35 pm »
Wow was the excerpt ;).  I agree with you that there needs to be some parity and I am very curious to see how Nalini will handle it. 

Me, too.  I have faith that there will be some progress toward that parity in the upcoming book, even if they don't really achieve it. (After all, there's one more book planned after this one, right?)

Reminds me a little of the Tiger and Del series by Jennifer Roberson, except that in that series, the characters weren't STARTING from place of such great disparity as Raphael and Elena.  But sexism and male/female disparity was a main theme of the Tiger and Del series, and especially during the first three books, we watched their relationship slowly come to meet on equal ground.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #207 on: November 01, 2009, 06:05:59 pm »
There are more books planned.  I don't remember if they will all center around Raphael and Elena or if other characters come to the front.  It is interesting with the disparity even though Elena was the best at her profession.

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #208 on: November 06, 2009, 12:28:39 pm »
I'm about 116 pages into Blaze of Memory. I  AM liking it...but nothing has happened. It's slow-going.  I read a couple pages...then put the book down and go do something else.  Then read a couple more...then walk away again.

One observation I've made to myself as I've been reading is that I think that the Psy heroines feel the same to me.   It's not that they're interchangeable.  They do seem disctinct.  But there's also a broad streak of "common" where they're concered.  Sascha, Faith, Shaya, Katya...there's something kind of needy and uber-vulnerable about them. Something childlike in a way. It feels a little icky to me, to be honest. Not "in your face" icky, but like...an undertone of icky.

(And an additional observation is that they grow out of that neediness and vulnerability as they spend time with their changeling mates.)

I was thinking about why they would all seem this way to me, and I think it has to do with the "rebirth" they experience as each of them is introduced to emotions for the first time. That's probably what gives them that childlike quality. But all that wide-eyed wonder and the veneer of "Ooooh....shiny!" grates on my nerves just a bit.

I like the changeling women better:  Mercy, Indigo, Brenna.... They feel like WOMEN. Fully formed...fully functional. I am woman; hear me ROAR!!   Sienna is the only psy-woman who felt like that to me from the very beginning.  Maybe it's because of how young she was when she was brought into the pack?  Except even from the beginning, Sienna seemed to lack the childlike demeanor of the other psy heroines.

But at the moment, Katya is just so effing helpless and innocent and vulnerable and wounded that it's annoying me.  There's something pathetic about her.  (I understand it.  I'd be pretty pathetic, too, if I'd spent the last several months being mentally and physically tortured, and then suddenly let loose into a world of sensory and emotional stimulation.  But still...it's grating on my nerves.)  Does she grow a backbone any time soon?

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #209 on: November 06, 2009, 02:06:54 pm »
I'm reading on the Kindle, so I have a hard time equating to page numbers. I think I'm probably farther than 116, though. She does gain a certain amount of backbone.

But I see what you're saying about the female Psy. I'd be curious to see if that trend continues.