Author Topic: Nalini Singh - Psy/Changeling and Guild Hunter Series  (Read 163274 times)

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
Re: Nalini Singh - Psy/Changeling and Guild Hunter Series
« Reply #135 on: March 04, 2009, 05:40:56 am »
Man, I am exhausted.  So much for going to bed early last night.  Angel's Blood was great!!!!  I think I lost the world for several hours until I finished the book and realized that one of my legs had gone to sleep thanks to the sleeping cat and my not moving except to turn pages  ;D

Gwendolynn

• Tinker
« Reply #136 on: March 04, 2009, 11:03:03 am »
Angels' Blood is one of the best books I've read in the recent past.  It really fit my mood and was fun.  I've been in a book rut and this seems to have pulled me out!

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #137 on: March 04, 2009, 11:15:23 am »
I'm ALMOST finished.  I think I have about 35 pages to go.

I have to say that for me, it's not as good as all that.  Don't get me wrong, I like it.  But, I guess I wanted MORE of something.  (More passion between Raphael and Elena, I have to say.  All the reviews had me thinking that the physical side of their relationship was going to be downright incidiary, but I didn't find that to be the case.  I think her Psy/Changeling books are "hotter" in that respect.  Although don't get me wrong...I'm glad that Singh is not one of those authors who allows that aspect of the story to dominate.  Overall, I'm more interested the STORY than I am in the other stuff.)

So far, it's a strong B read for me. 
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #138 on: March 05, 2009, 08:07:28 am »
You have a good point, Nifty. I seemed like it would've been better to have the book as two instead of just the one. Expanded more on the characters and the growth of their relationship which did come across to me as a bit choppy. I know the next book will focus on these two again, so in that respect, we'll see more development.

I just really wanted to read about Michaela's reaction when she realized that Elena was an angel. So hopefully, we'll be able to see that in the second book.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #139 on: March 05, 2009, 08:29:09 am »
Okay...gonna spoiler my whole post.  Don't read it if you don't want to read my impressions of the story or if you're easily influenced by such things.  (Nothing I'm writing is particularly spoilerish with regard to plot or development or the big things that happen, though.)

I finished ANGEL'S BLOOD yesterday. It was good, but ultimately it was also a disappointment for me.

I really like her Psy/Changeling series. I like the worldbuilding and characterization and the amount of sexual tension and "sizzle" she includes in her books. So that was kind of my jumping-off point going into the book. Then...there've been a TON of pre-reviews (from the ARCs) all over cyberspace, and I've searched them out and devoured them. All of them have been positively glowing, and that ratcheted up my expectations as well.

Which is why the book was a disappointment for me. It didn't live up to my expectations.

So many of the pre-reviews have talked about Raphael as being a big anti-hero, but I just didn't see that. He didn't strike me as being any more anti-hero than any other alpha-male romance novel hero out there. He's hard-edged and secretive, but he's also got his eye on the "big picture" and as such he's protective of anyone who belongs to him (be they angel, vampire, or mere mortal living in his territory). I think he's supposed to impress the reader as being "ruthless," but I just didn't get that impression. When I think "anti-hero," I think Bastien from Anne Stuart's Ice series. Raphael is powerful, but he's not an anti-hero the way, say, Bastien is. Not in my opinion, at least.

Another problem I had was the sexual content...or lack thereof!  I'm a fairly old-school romance reader. I like some sex in my stories, but I don't want the sex to overshadow the plot or the characterization. I like it when I find authors who get the balance right, who ramp up the sexual tension from page one, but don't write their characters into bed right off the bat. For me, Nalini Singh -- like, say, Linda Howard -- has always been one of those romance authors who gets it right. (As an example, Lora Leigh is someone who generally gets it wrong for me.  Her books are usually too full of sexual content.)  So I go into a Singh book with certain expectations in that area, you know?  It seemed like a lot of the pre-reviews really talked up the sexual tension between Raphael and Elena, but I just didn't see it. To me, this book had LESS sexual tension and "sizzle" than the Psy/Changeling books. There was ONE sex scene -- I think just one -- and it just didn't impress me. Judd and Brenna's big scene (from Carressed by Ice) was WAY hotter, in my opinion...and Judd was a virgin!  (And I think there was more than just the one scene in that book, also.)

Also, all the pre-reviews talked up the worldbuilding, etc. I have to say that I thought her worldbuilding here was MUCH less complex than that of the Psy/Changeling novels. The worldbuilding in Angel's Blood seemed very...surface. While the worldbuilding in the Psy/Changeling series strikes me as being more layered...deeper. And there seems to be more built-in tension in the Psy/Changeling series, not just among the three races (human/changeling/psy) but also within the ranks of those races. Like how the Psy are fracturing as a group.  The premise of Angel's Blood is certainly interesting, but I wasn't necessarily blown away by the ingenuity of it.

Don't get me wrong.  I definitely liked the book. I did. I'll keep it and re-read it and I'll buy the next one in the series. If I had never read Nalini Singh and she were a brand-new-to-me author, I would have LOVED this book, I think. There's a lot about it that's great: the premise is fresh, the characters are interesting and likeable, the writing is terrific. But I AM already a fan of Singh's work, and this book just didn't live up to my expectations of a Nalini Singh romance. It certainly didn't live up to my expectations after I'd read all the glowing pre-reviews.  Which is probably a lesson to me!
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #140 on: March 05, 2009, 10:01:00 am »
I took a chance on this and bought it a couple days ago. I'm only a few chapters in, though, so I'm not reading the spoilers. I love Singh, but the preview of the first chapter or so didn't thrill me. But I saw Patty's endorsement and saw that others really liked it, so I'm giving it a go.

Does anyone know if Patty's endorsement was actually for this book or for her Psi-Changeling series? Sometimes they'll be tricky and do that.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #141 on: March 05, 2009, 10:03:54 am »
I think its for this book- because Nalini at her blog mentioned it I think.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #142 on: March 05, 2009, 10:50:00 pm »
Wow - it's 1:50 am and I just finished Angels' Blood. I loved it! I'm sooo glad I bought it! And now it's waay past my bedtime ...
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2009, 08:01:56 pm »
I picked up the little novella, Angel's Pawn. Not a bad story...didn't really set up the background for Angel's Blood though but an interesting little read.
Hurog Means Dragon.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2009, 02:23:47 pm »
The cover is up for her November Psy/Changeling book Blaze of Memory  Check it out, http://nalinisingh.blogspot.com/  I think it looks great!

CandyAss

• Mechanic
    • MySpace.com/librasdarkness
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2009, 08:57:55 pm »
The cover is up for her November Psy/Changeling book Blaze of Memory  Check it out, http://nalinisingh.blogspot.com/  I think it looks great!

umm, it's okay, not my fav.  I like those covers being more animalistic, this would not intrigue me if I was book browsing
"You're my density... I mean, my Destiny" - George McFly

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #146 on: March 29, 2009, 01:55:54 pm »
Maybe it's less "animalistic" because the hero (depicted on the cover) is part psy/part human (I think...if I remember correctly).

I never really love any of her covers, honestly.  They're okay, but they don't grab me, necessarily.

CandyAss

• Mechanic
    • MySpace.com/librasdarkness
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2009, 08:38:34 pm »
Maybe it's less "animalistic" because the hero (depicted on the cover) is part psy/part human (I think...if I remember correctly).

Yeah I think you're right, he is like a cop or something...
"You're my density... I mean, my Destiny" - George McFly

Jenn

« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2009, 05:12:28 am »
I love the Psy/Changling books and I am halfway through Angel's Blood. Is it just me or do the angels reminded anyone else of the Goa'ulds in the Stargate series?

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2009, 08:54:29 pm »
I think that's just you :) Seriously though, how do you mean? I don't see it.