Author Topic: Nalini Singh - Psy/Changeling and Guild Hunter Series  (Read 163256 times)

lunasea

• Grease Monkey
Re: Nalini Singh - Psy/Changeling Series
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2009, 05:41:04 pm »
I won one of the ARCs and will be doing my review in the next few days. It is the first ARC I won. When it came, I explained it to my kids (age 8 and 12) what it was and said "this is the coolest thing ever." Their response: "I thought we were the coolest thing ever."

Until BC came out, Nalini's Angel's Blood was the only book that I read since Jan 1 that the urge to reread was overwhelming (I've read 30 books so far this year).

Should I start a new thread, since The Guild Hunter's series is brand new or can someone change the subject line?

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Re: Nalini Singh - Psy/Changeling Series
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2009, 05:43:28 pm »
Congrats on winning the arc!!! :D

I think its best to stick it in this thread for now- there are several authors here which shares 2 or 3 series. And I will change the title heading, I was actually thinking of doing that earlier. I am really looking forward to reading this it looks fantastic!
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
Re: Nalini Singh - Psy/Changeling and Guild Hunter Series
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2009, 10:28:33 am »
Congrats lunasea!
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2009, 11:59:05 am »
Congrats!  Enjoy the early read.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2009, 04:18:45 pm »
Nalini has a HUGE giveaway at her blog- check here for details but you get the chance to win arcs and more goodies ;D

http://nalinisingh.blogspot.com/
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2009, 02:41:52 am »
*hops up and down like a loon* me entered

GW  WK  WH

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2009, 03:41:34 pm »
Good luck Cheese!

Lyranda

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2009, 09:55:05 pm »
My store got Angels' Blood today!  I immediately took it home and read it instead of doing homework.  It was a great book and I really loved the characters and world Nalini created.  She does a great job of dropping tidbits of the characters' pasts, abilities, and the histories of the races throughout the story without overloading you with information or bogging down the plot.  The ending was interesting and now I really want the next book in the series (although probably not quite as much as I want Riley and Mercy's book...).  Time to go download and read the ebook novella in the series for another Nalini Singh fix.

On a side note, one thing that did make me laugh was that on the spine of the book on the top where it lists what subgenre of romance the book is, Angels' Blood is apparently considered an 'Urban Fantasy Romance.'  It's the first time I've seen that listed instead of oh say, Paranormal Romance.

lunasea

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2009, 11:24:02 am »
I first heard about Nalini Singh's Angel's Blood (book one of the new Guild Hunter series) on one of the livejournal blogs mid January. The premise had me hooked. What's better than vampires, vampire hunters and archangels. I love the tag line "When archangel's play, mortals break." I couldn't wait for it to come out. It immediately went on the list I gave my local indie bookstore of books for them to get me.

A week went by and Nalini announced a contest. The prize, one of the ARC's (Advanced Reader Copies). I put my name into the hat. On Jan 20, I found out I was one of the winners. It arrived two days later. It doesn't have the pretty artwork. It's bright yellow and sticks out on my bookshelf.

When it came, I told my kids "This is the neatest thing ever." Their response, "I thought we were the neatest things ever." After I assured them that Mommy loves them, I went upstairs and devoured the book. I've been trying to figure out my review of it ever since.

I told myself that it was because I wanted to read it again. It was the first book I've read this year, where the urge to immediately reread it was overwhelming. I did have to read the ending several times immediately. I reread it and still wasn't able to write my review. Last night, I figured  out my problem.

Writing this without being spoilery is next to impossible. The writing is superb, the characters are interesting, the pacing is dead on and everything else that makes a book great is there in droves. I can picture every detail from gleaming Angel's Tower with the angels taking off and landing right down to the beauty of the angels' wings. This book is truly beautiful. I want to see it made into a movie, just to see the various angels' wings. She creates a world that both makes the angels fit into our world, yet at the same time keeps them elevated. Oh, and these aren't cherubs with harps.

That isn't what I want to talk about. No, strike that, that isn't what I need to talk about. It is the relationship between the vampires and angels that has me emailing her to ask her how she came up with the idea. It is the ending that has me needing to know where the series will go. This is one of the most creative ideas I've ever seen.

I wanted to win that ARC very badly. Well, be careful what you wish for. Since I got an ARC, I can't go online and talk about this. Never since Buffy the Vampire Slayer went off the air has the need to talk about something been so great.

So here's what I want you guys to do (see me on my knees), please please go out and buy this book. It's available officially March 3, but I saw it in Waldenbooks Wednesday, so you may be lucky. Please, read it so I have someone to talk about it with. Then come back here and talk to me.

If you don't, I'll explode.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2009, 12:26:23 pm »
Sounds interesting :D

When it came, I told my kids "This is the neatest thing ever." Their response, "I thought we were the neatest things ever." After I assured them that Mommy loves them, I went upstairs and devoured the book. I've been trying to figure out my review of it ever since.

LOL!!!!!!
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2009, 02:00:01 pm »
I just ordered it off the Book Depository!!! And Amazon UK also states its in stock as well and it does look interesting. Has anyone had the chance to read the prequel ebook yet?

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2009, 02:08:32 pm »
I just ordered it off the Book Depository!!! And Amazon UK also states its in stock as well and it does look interesting. Has anyone had the chance to read the prequel ebook yet?

They were talking about the prequel (novella) over on AAR and talk was not complementary.  The primary complaint was that the novella infodumped.  But Nalini says you don't have to read the novella before Angel's Blood.  I don't do e-books, so I won't be reading it.  I AM looking forward to Angel's Blood, though.

(Although I just gotta complain:  I understand the purpose of strict-on-sale release dates, but I hate that they now apply to paperbacks as well.  Grrrrr.  Hate it.)
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2009, 02:11:05 pm »
Well I dont think the strict on sale dates really comply with Europe- especially since most books are shipped out before the date they are officially released. I think Amazon UK use to release them on the date they were suppose to come out but their recent service has been really iffy in that regard. But it looks like I wont get the book until Tuesday anyway :D

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2009, 02:22:43 pm »
I called BAM today to see if they had it in stock. They said they do, but then she put me on hold and when she came back, she said it was an SOS.   Grrrrr.   But when I was at B&N the other night, they did NOT have it marked as an SOS.  Maybe that's changed in the few days since.  (They didn't have it at Border's last night.)

SOS on paperbacks is relatively new...like, within the last couple years, I think.  The first time I ever noticed it was on one of the earlier BDB books by Ward.  Then I saw it showing up on Nora Roberts' paperbacks. 

I know the point of it is to concentrate sales in order to make a big debut...preferably as high on the bestseller lists as possible.  Especially with the new Singh book, I get the feeling that the publisher is pushing hard for this to be Singh's moneymaker.  That's been my thinking, anyway, based on the huge number of ARCs and early reviews that are out in Romancelandia. 

I used to wait for the release date, but I guess I'm too old and selfish for that nowadays.  I want it to be available the moment it hits the stores...not held back to concentrate sales.  Like I said, I understand the purpose of it and I'm sympathetic.  But I want it NOW!  Ha!
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2009, 02:25:35 pm »
I totally sympathize with you about that- I know the Psy/changling series is popular but I have a funny feeling that this one is going to surpass that. And from the early reviews and reactions it seems to have a fantastic reception. This series is going to concentrate on the one couple I think unlike the Psy/Changeling where it focuses on different characters/couples in each book.