Author Topic: Nalini Singh - Psy/Changeling and Guild Hunter Series  (Read 168725 times)

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
Re: Nalini Singh - Psy/Changeling and Guild Hunter Series
« Reply #450 on: January 07, 2011, 11:13:43 am »
I thought he was searching for some ONE.

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #451 on: January 10, 2011, 04:18:22 pm »
Nalini has given us a title and a tiny tidbit for Dimitri's book which will be out this September!
http://nalinisingh.blogspot.com/2011/01/archangels-blade.html
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #452 on: January 11, 2011, 09:05:11 am »
I thought he was searching for some ONE.

Yes, someone. And then he catches some glimpse of them, too. At least he knows they're alive. Very curious.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #453 on: January 17, 2011, 01:39:24 pm »
I just got an email stating that Archangels Consort had been made available early and that the Book Depository would be shipping it to me soon :D
bOuNcY bOuNcY bOuNcY

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Piper

• Mechanic
« Reply #454 on: January 30, 2011, 06:41:46 pm »
ZOMG!!! Raphael!!!!  :-LOVE :-LOVE
"When children are difficult, they just need a nap.
When men are difficult, they're dubbed born leaders.
When I speak my mind, I'm considered a b**ch"
"B**ches rule!"

Pfefferminztee

• Mechanic
« Reply #455 on: January 31, 2011, 12:28:32 am »
I finished Archangel's Consort yesterday and it is really good, though not as good as the last one, but that may just be because the last one was so beyond great...

This book is obviously about mothers and our character's relationships to them and I like that, because it shows us a huge part of their past. I especially love the Hummingbird. It is so sad, but also wonderful, because even in madness she is a loving and motherly person. And I really love Aodhan. I'd like to read more of him.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #456 on: January 31, 2011, 06:10:05 am »
I wish I could say I loved this one, but it fell a little flat for me. It seemed like more of a transition book. I kept waiting for the big payoff that didn't seem to happen for me.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #457 on: January 31, 2011, 08:58:55 am »
Cerulean, I've seen echoes of your sentiments all over cyberspace.

For me, the book worked.  I liked it.  On the other hand, my reaction to these books has never been better than "good." 

With the first one, I thought it was slow to ramp up and sometimes ponderous with the world-building, and I was annoyed by the ending,
which felt abrupt to me...particularly with respect to the drip-drip-drip mystery.  The book felt a bit unresolved at the ending, and
while I liked Raphael well enough, I can't say that I felt particularly drawn to him.  He's very cold and off-putting to me.

I liked the second book a bit better, perhaps because Raphael and Elena had settled into their relationship a bit.  Raphael wasn't
such a bossy jerk -- he seemed willing to meet Elena halfway.  I liked that.  And I liked seeing Elena learn to use her wings and
train with the Seven to regain her strength.  I enjoyed seeing the interpersonal dynamics there -- although only Venom, Illium, and
Dimitri have any real uniqueness of personality in my mind.  What I didn't particularly enjoy was the Lijuan plot, and I also thought the
second book ended abruptly.

So for me, the third book was more of the same...cruise control.  Not a bad thing for me, because I DID like the first two books.  They were
solid B reads for me....just not A reads.  With the third book, I enjoyed the continued development of Elena and Raphael's relationship,
how they are still learning to come to terms with one another.  Raphael seems very willing to accommodate Elena and more than meets
her halfway, especially given his natural tendencies.  The stuff with Caliane was "meh" - but that's pretty much how I felt about Uram
and Lijuan, too.  And again, the ending was a bit of a fizzle...but that's kind of what I expect with the books in this series, so it didn't
bother me.  I did like the additional insight into Elena's past/history/origin.  More mystery there.  I'm glad to hear that the next books
are going to focus more on the Seven, because honestly, they're still kind of a mass-lump in my mind.  I don't know why I have such a
hard time picking out their individuality and holding them in my head as separate characters, but I do. 
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #458 on: February 06, 2011, 10:43:19 am »
Nifty- I just finished The Archangel's Consort and was thinking how to write what I thought of it...

I don't need to though, since you wrote it perfectly! I don't like Raphael, but I really like Elena, Sara and family, Ransom and his girlfriend, and four of the seven (your selections and Galen, he feels like a real person to me after the last book). The plots are boring and predictable, and every time I finish one of these books I wonder why I bought the new one again... but, I always want to know what happens next with the characters I like.

Oh, and now I can add Evelyn to the list of people that I like.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #459 on: February 07, 2011, 04:36:06 pm »
Kiss of Snow snippety goody!

It was posted on Goodreads so I am not sure if it can be viewed to those who don't have an account but I think it should work!
http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/949720-a-little-kiss
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #461 on: March 08, 2011, 02:12:27 pm »
We has blurbage and name for Dimitri's heroine!

ARCHANGEL'S BLADE
September 2011
Berkley Sensation

New York Times bestselling author Nalini Singh is back in the shadows of a deadly, beautiful world where angels rule, vampires serve, and one female hunter must crawl out of the darkness to survive…

The severed head marked by a distinctive tattoo on its cheek should have been a Guild case, but dark instincts honed over hundreds of years of life compel the vampire Dmitri to take control. There is something twisted about this death, something that whispers of centuries long past…but Dmitri’s need to discover the truth is nothing to the vicious strength of his response to the hunter assigned to decipher the tattoo.

Savaged in a brutal attack that almost killed her, Honor is nowhere near ready to come face to face with the seductive vampire who is an archangel’s right hand, and who wears his cruelty as boldly as his lethal sensuality…the same vampire who has been her secret obsession since the day she was old enough to understand the inexplicable, violent emotions he aroused in her.

As desire turns into a dangerous compulsion that might destroy them both, it becomes clear the past will not stay buried. Something is hunting…and it will not stop until it brings a blood-soaked nightmare to life once more…

http://nalinisingh.blogspot.com/2011/03/archangels-blade.html

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #462 on: March 08, 2011, 06:59:43 pm »
Hmm, sounds interesting!
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Pfefferminztee

• Mechanic
« Reply #463 on: March 09, 2011, 11:31:37 am »
Yes, it does. :>

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #464 on: March 09, 2011, 11:32:26 am »
Yes, very interesting.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy