Author Topic: Naomi Novik  (Read 18948 times)

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
Naomi Novik
« on: August 24, 2007, 08:34:45 am »
Okay, so it might be a little too early for me to start a thread about Naomi Novik's Temeraire series -I'm only about two thirds into the first book- but it has gripped me already, and I can't put it down.

For those who don't know what it's about: it takes place in our world during the Napoleonic Wars, only that the armies have aerial corps- dragons. I love how the dragons are described and how well it plays together with the historic feel of the background, and best of all- there are at least another 3 books to look forward to.

So, if you haven't read these yet I recommend you check them out, and if you have, what did you think about them??
* If there's no dancing at the revolution, I'm not coming. *

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
Re: Naomi Novik
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 12:07:11 pm »
I loved these books. The fourth one comes out on Sept. 25th: Empire of Ivory. I wasn't sure about this series at first, but it's one of those great scifi/fantasy books that delve into greater issues than smash-bang 'em-up stuff. It's an alternate history series that has shades of McCaffery's Dragonriders of Pern in that the dragons are hatched and impress upon the best candidates. But this all occurs during the Napoleonic wars in England. The hero is a captain in the navy who accidentally joins with a dragon when it hatches on board his ship. Basically, in this world, dragons are the ultimate form of calvary called the Aerial Corps, so the hero Will Laurence and his dragon, Termeraire, go to train. It's revealed that Termeraire is a smarter-than-average dragon and some difficulties arise because of this. One of the issues the books deal with is what is considered "human". The dragons are sentient - independent and intelligent (for the most part). So who's in charge in the dragon/human relationship? What rights do the dragons have beyond being flown in aerial charges in the war? Especially since the country is currently at war with Napoleon.

I found a cute short story Novik posted online about Termeraire: http://www.temeraire.org/stories/Feast_or_Famine.shtml
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 04:03:52 am »
Yay, another Temeraire fan!

I think the question of who's in charge is addressed mostly in the second book, right? I haven't read it yet (but at least I have it here already) but that's what I gather from its synopsis.

Thanks for posting that link, that's a nice one! I love Temeraire and Maximus together, and how they're always puzzled by human stuff. I think Novik has done a great job showing that despite their size and power (and Temeraire's intelligence) they're still just adolescents.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 12:52:32 pm »
Yay, another Temeraire fan!

I think the question of who's in charge is addressed mostly in the second book, right? I haven't read it yet (but at least I have it here already) but that's what I gather from its synopsis.

Thanks for posting that link, that's a nice one! I love Temeraire and Maximus together, and how they're always puzzled by human stuff. I think Novik has done a great job showing that despite their size and power (and Temeraire's intelligence) they're still just adolescents.

Oh yes, the second book spends a lot of time dealing with that issue. It's been a while since I've read the fourth book, so I can't recall the main themes of it. I have to admit it wasn't my favorite - pretty much because there were a lot of battle scenes and I'm not so into that. But it's a must read for the series, b/c the ending is terrific.

And I have to agree with you, one of the great draws of the series is the way Novik writes the dragons. They're not just humans in dragonskin, but she does give them an accessible voice and neat personalities.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 01:04:01 pm »
I just saw that Novik won the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer, given out by the World Science Fiction Society (same group that gives out the Hugo awards).

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 09:21:58 pm »
Whoot! Thanks for the info! Totally deserved, too.

Kmarie

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 06:06:10 pm »
Started in on His Majesty's Dragon today, what a delightful read!  I adore Temeraire.  I will certainly read the full series.  Thanks for introducing me to her through this thread!
"A happy life is one which is in accordance with its own nature." -
  --  Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 11:01:28 pm »
Yay, a convert! :D Have fun and let us know what you think!

Kmarie

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 07:01:06 pm »
I finished His Majesty's Dragon this evening and will be getting the next one in the series tomorrow.  What a great read!  It's wonderful the way Naomi writes, the dragons come to life and you end up even feeling sorry for the enemy's dragons that get hurt. I'm sure I'll get many hours of pleasure from reading the full series.
"A happy life is one which is in accordance with its own nature." -
  --  Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 11:07:03 am »
Scifi.com has an interview with Novik, which includes .... wait for it .... news that she sold the rights to her books to Peter Jackson!!!! Woot!!

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/interviews/sfw16947.html

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 03:05:36 am »
Wow! That's terrific news!! Although 'optioned' means that anything on the screen might still be far off, if it's ever happening at all. Like she said, Jackson, Boyen and Walsh are working on another project (at least) right now... but still, it's good news.

Anyway, thanks for posting this!

And, could it be you've been watching -wait for it- How I Met Your Mother? (I'm just asking because I've only just discovered it recently and my love for it is still fresh and strong)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 08:04:44 am »
I got caught through the link to the short that you posted.  I read the first book.  I was at B&N, went to see if maybe I could pick up #2.  They only had boxes of the first 3! :P  I already onw #1, why do I need a 2nd copy?  I'm going to have to wait & read them through the libraries, or trade off with my sister if I hook her with the first one, she might buy #2 & lend it to me, then I can buy #3, etc. 
I like calling worlds that fiction is written in 'fictons', it's easier to say than 'alternate universes/worlds' or 'this world except the. . .'

Remember how disappointed we sometimes are by movie adaptations, even done with love, gang.  They could go through 20 screenwriters trying to get this into shape that will make it onto film. . . in 2013. 
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 11:39:33 am »
It might never happen ... but it's Peter Jackson :) I'm sure it would take forever, too, given that Jackson et al. are working on other projects for a while. Still, they did option the first three books. I won't hold my breath, but I'll give this more credence than a lot of other "optioned" news of other books because of who optioned it. Sometimes it *can* be good news, Patti ;) If it works, it's in good hands.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 05:46:55 pm »
I'll keep happy thoughts going.  Was it Lazarus Long who said "Prepare like a pessimist, then sit back & ride it like an optimist"?  That last isn't exact, but it's the spirit of the thing.  Just be sure you have your dragonrider's harness on, right? Downdrafts, my children, downdrafts & thermals.

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 01:25:40 pm »
If nothing else, I'm sure a lot of people pricked up their ears when they heard of Jackson's latest aquisition. Whether he's actually going to make a movie (or movies) out of it or not, either way it's good news for this franchise.

Sofy

• Tinker
  • I'm a lurker.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2007, 02:12:25 pm »
I enjoy reading the first three books and can't wait to read the fourth.

I like how she introduced dragons in European History. And it was pretty funny to read the comments of Lawrence about Napoleon and French people in general :)

And the battle scenes were pretty well pictured.

So far I'm not really fond of the Dragons in movies (meaning the special effects to create them), but with Peter Jackson as a director it could be good....
First Worshipper of the Goddess Caffeine !!!!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2007, 06:13:50 pm »
I'm beginning to wonder what kind of F/SF background, as fan &/or writer/editor Jackson has.  He does seem to get it better than most.

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 09:19:57 am »
I think he's like a kid with a very vivid, visual imagination, and he has a talent of being able to transmit this vision to others. However, I'm not a 100-% unconditional Peter Jackson supporter. Of course what he did with LOTR is outstanding, and for that I'll ever be grateful, but I haven't seen King Kong because really everyone told me they didn't like it because it seems to have lots and lots of flaws. Also, his earlier work isn't really all that (Braindead, anyone?). But, he does seem to care a lot for fantasy, and his LOTR experience would come in extremely handy.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 05:05:31 pm »
Just finished 'Throne of Jade'.  I liked it enough that I'll look for the third, but it left me feeling unsatisfied.  Not a heck of a lot of resolution.  And Laurence sincerely lacks a love life!

Morgaine0000

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 10:49:09 pm »
I just finished the last four, and I think they are steadily getting better.  I enjoyed  each one more than the last.  I have high hopes for the fifth one to be released this year.  Wow, what a cliff-hanger.

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
  • To live is to dance, to dance is to live.
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 03:13:25 am »

Wow, what a cliff-hanger.

Yeah, OMG, I was so into the book I never realised the end was near, until all of a sudden the page was blank... and this was one of the few times where I didn't read the last few pages of the book first like I usually do, so that taught me to stick to my be-prepared policy  ;)
Check out my aspiring-writer's blog: http://mylinesmylife.blogspot.com/

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 09:24:33 pm »
Just got the newest Temeraire-newsletter complete with first chapter excerpt for the new book and tourdates!!! The excerpt is very exciting and promising!
Yippe-dee-doo-daa!!!

Here's the really beautiful PDF version:
http://temeraire.org/books/victoryofeagles/excerpt.pdf

and an HTML version is available on the website as well:
http://temeraire.org/

Here are the current tour-dates (a few more places may be added):

7/9 New York, NY
Barnes & Noble (Greenwich Village)

7/15 Philadelphia, PA
Free Library of Philadelphia

7/16 Washington, DC
Borders Books & Music (Bailey’s Crossroads)

7/17 Richmond, VA
Creatures ‘n Crooks

7/22 San Francisco, CA
Borderlands Books

7/23 Berkeley, CA
Dark Carnival

7/24, 7/25, 7/26 San Diego, CA
San Diego Comic Con \o/

7/28 Seattle, WA
University Bookstore

7/29 Portland, OR
Powell’s Books at Cedar Hills Crossing

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 12:18:26 am »
Gah!! Victory of Eagles is out, but it's in Hardback and f***ing expensive, of course!!!! *wail*
I don't think I have the patience to wait for it in paperback, which will be out in MARCH 2009!!!!!!
Torture!!
Nope, I think i'm going to have to splurge... sounds like it's worth it from the review on amazon.de... I guess I'll make it my graduation present for myself.  ::)

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 06:55:13 pm »
VOE is very good.

life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 08:57:59 pm »
I read this, I wish the system would believe it.

dini

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 08:12:26 am »
Well, there goes my book budget. No way I'm gonna be able to wait for paperback!

Venus

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2008, 10:30:46 am »
I started reading her series when there was just the first book and have had to wait impatiently for each new book to come out. She is one of my favorite authors. I love history but don't really read much historical fiction (go figure eh?) but really like the feel of the books. Most of the characters are true to the period and I like how each book seems to center around a different continent and culture.

Any time I meet someone who has not read her books I feel sorry for them and then send them off to buy them. No one has reported back that they did not enjoy the books.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2010, 06:54:52 am »
Sample Chapter is up for book 6, Tonque Of Serpants
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2010, 07:20:23 am »
Finally read VOE and was surprised that my interest was rekindled.  Enjoyed it enough that I think I'll have to start looking for the next book.

Oh wait!  It's not out yet!  Crap! >:(

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2010, 05:37:13 pm »
Next year sometime.
life is terminal

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 06:35:40 am »
Maybe that's a good thing.  I think I lost interest because I read the first 4 of her books back to back and it was too much.  Temeraire is like cotton candy.  A little can go a long way.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2010, 11:29:02 am »
Has anyone readTongue of Seprants yet?
life is terminal

wolvin.mm

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
    • My blog (mostly in Dutch)
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2013, 10:04:41 am »
I have just started reading these books, and I can't seem to stop :D
I followed the link posted years ago by Cerulean, its broken, but I found another page with links to short stories and deleted scenes http://www.temeraire.org/short-stories/
My blog (mostly in Dutch, a few posts in English): https://weerwolfblog.wordpress.com/

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2015, 07:10:56 am »
New novel, Uprooted is out. Not a Temeraire novel. I kind of want to buy everyone in the world a copy of this book. It's a very powerful fable for mature audiences. I've read it through once with the story dragginng me along and now have to read it again to work through everything she was saying.

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2016, 01:51:12 pm »
I just read the final Temeraire novel, LEAGUE OF DRAGONS. It is a worthy end to the series.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2016, 05:16:33 pm »
I'm two behind on the Temeraire novels, and I agree with you about Uprooted. :)