Author Topic: Lilith Saintcrow  (Read 54059 times)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
Lilith Saintcrow
« on: August 21, 2007, 08:30:26 am »
I absolutely adore Lili's Danny Valentine books. She writes with such lush description and emotion that you get completely sucked into her world. And her world building is beyond amazing. She has entire stories and "papers" written out about the world that she's either put in the back of her books or posted on her site. The world is a little strange, because it's like a very fuzzy version of our world. It's like you take the real world and step to the side a bit. The heroine is very strong, but also vulnerable (a pairing I like). In Working for the Devil, Dante (aka Danny) is a necromance who is called upon by the Devil to hunt down a demon and return an object it stole. Lucifer (not exactly like the Lucifer in our history) assigns the demon Japhrimel to assist her. Her second book, Dead Man Rising is even better, but definitely darker. If you read the first book, you'll definitely want the second one on hand to find out what happens. The third book, The Devil's Right Hand, is currently shipping from Amazon (even though it's officially published on 9/1). Lili's blog is great fun to read, as well. She's got a great dry, slightly sarcastic wit and she manages to find the funniest Youtube videos to post on her site.  http://www.lilithsaintcrow.net/journal/
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
Re: Lilith Saintcrow
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 02:49:27 am »
Dang!! You got me interested with this post, so I went to look upon these books on amazon and now...there are 3 more books on my online order: my wallet gets emptier and emptier... -__- but they sounded too cool to resist the temptation! ;)
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 12:24:56 pm »
Oh Mazoku, you won't regret it! IMO, she's the best in urban fantasy. A 3-D world with 3-D characters, lush descriptions and kick-ass action.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 11:49:07 am »
Lili wrote about reading Moon Called in her blog today. Here's the excerpt:

On to Moon Called, which I read mostly in one chunk. It was smooth and engaging, and the heroine–Mercy Thompson–is, thank God, not TSTL. She’s a coyote in a werewolf’s world, making up for her lack of strength and ferociousness with cunning, smarts, and loyalty. I really enjoyed a kickass female character who has to use her brains to overpower the dangerous situations she finds herself in. I like characters who are not endlessly competent, who have flaws and limitations. It’s why I love the Harry Dresden series.

There are some uneven things in the book–for example, the manipulative behavior of the alpha werewolves really starts to grate after a while, and the “Mercy is everyone’s friend” thing gets a little old. I would have liked more exploration of her having to leave her home as a teenager and more of a reaction to the idea that Sam was “using” her, but those quibbles were overpowered by narrative drive and the sheer fun of the wisecracking heroine, done very, very well.

celeber

• Tool Wrangler
    • Cerulean Siren
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 01:27:19 pm »
I want to say I love Lilith's Dante series as well. The characters are well rounded, you love `em you hate `em, and if you're me you cry.
I would highly recommend this series. I adore it.
Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. ~ Anonymous

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 07:23:44 am »
Hmm... judging on this thread and Amazon reviews... there goes my next Amazon order. ;D When will I ever read all these books I've already ordered/bought since I've been on this forum?? Wait... is Amazon secretly sponsoring this?? It would make perfect sense.  :D

And only a few months ago I was complaining there aren't enough interesting fantasy books out there- looks like I was horribly wrong.
* If there's no dancing at the revolution, I'm not coming. *

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 01:04:44 pm »
My hands are itching: I only have to resist 2 more days and then I can read all my new books, Lilith's among them!!!  ;D They are there on my bookshelf, all 23 of them, trying to get me to ignore the last exam and read them...aaaaww, it's so hard!!! >_<

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 08:33:42 pm »
My hands are itching: I only have to resist 2 more days and then I can read all my new books, Lilith's among them!!!  ;D They are there on my bookshelf, all 23 of them, trying to get me to ignore the last exam and read them...aaaaww, it's so hard!!! >_<

Oh good! I've been dying to know if you liked them. Just a few more days!

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 07:29:32 am »
Only 24 hours now...only 24 hours to go... *mazoku with a possessed look on her face*

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 06:24:31 am »
I started Working for the Devil yesterday, and despite I spent almost all day waiting to wrap up my last exam, I somehow managed to read half the book already...loving it!!! :-* Thanks for the tip Cerulean!! ;)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 09:45:42 am »
I'm doing the happy dance!! Woo-hoo! You really need to check out her blog, too. IMO, she definitely writes the best ones. She posted a hilarious video clip on "5 easy steps to writing a perfect romance!" by Meljean Brook.

Be sure to watch it where snorting with laughter isn't a problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD0z1hSXTJM

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 10:49:49 pm »
I've gotten my hands on a copy as well. Will be the next book I'll read, I'll let you know what I think.
* If there's no dancing at the revolution, I'm not coming. *

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 01:09:02 pm »
I've already started reading her blog for some time, she definitely is one of a kind!! :D Today I sank my pointy mazoku teeth in Dead Man Rising: at last I can read for hours without worrying about anything!!! Heaven!!! Heaven!!! HEAV...aw, heck, I'm supposed to hate Heaven, I'm a mazoku...dang!! Ok, so, Hell sweet Hell!!! ;)

Collaroy, you'll love it, I read the first one in a day and a bunch of hours (mostly because there was an exam in the middle that slowed me down...) ;D

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 08:16:59 pm »
I've already started reading her blog for some time, she definitely is one of a kind!! :D Today I sank my pointy mazoku teeth in Dead Man Rising: at last I can read for hours without worrying about anything!!! Heaven!!! Heaven!!! HEAV...aw, heck, I'm supposed to hate Heaven, I'm a mazoku...dang!! Ok, so, Hell sweet Hell!!! ;)

Collaroy, you'll love it, I read the first one in a day and a bunch of hours (mostly because there was an exam in the middle that slowed me down...) ;D

I hereby dub thee a Lili Saintcrow disciple! Now go forth and announce the wonders of Danny & Japh!

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 07:54:20 am »
Cool, yay!!! So, can I have a katana too? ;D