Author Topic: Rank, dominance, Alphas, & the military  (Read 39950 times)

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
Re: Rank, dominance, Alphas, & the military
« Reply #165 on: July 23, 2011, 12:27:02 pm »
Thanks, Patti
Howl more, whine less

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #166 on: July 23, 2011, 12:32:18 pm »
I just bumbled across it when I saw someone looking at/printing out the Q&A, and followed the link.
Warning:  May contain traces of unicorn. ~Kat Cotton

SilverTreeSpirit

• Tinker
« Reply #167 on: May 06, 2018, 07:56:06 am »
wolves and the military,

Branches:
Navy/Marines: no wolves in these branches, to much water and time on ships.
Army: perfered
Air Force: possible but what self respecting wolf would be in the AF... thats just silly

discuss

EDIT: edited spelling in title, charmed, books mod

Even though saberhack has been deleted from the forum, I wanted to bring back the military aspect of this discussion, and he is the first to mention the other branches of the military.
I think that weres would fit in fine with the Air Force. A were might be able to handle the G-forces that a human can't. The air force could build special fast planes only for were pilots to fly. Also, I can see a were flying a Comanche or such helicopter: he could probably survive a crash landing with rockets and bullets hitting the helicopter (much better than a normal human would). There is also the use of commando paratrooper weres; they could all morph into their wolf forms to sneak behind enemy lines, but that would present some problems for them. The best bet would be having one or two in wolf form and act as scouts.

Army: I believe that there has been enough input for here. However, I'm not sure weres would fit in as tank drivers or gun shooters. They would be wasted in that position. I can see them as being Army Rangers and snipers, probably perfect for the sniper role. They can find the target behind enemy lines, fire, and leave as a wolf (given enough distance from the target). They would not need to worry about their sight getting worse as they age, so, they could become near perfect with age and experience. This means they would be invaluable to the military.

I hope someone else with the military background can add more to this.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 08:34:05 am by SilverTreeSpirit »
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power".-Abraham Lincoln

"Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing".-Abraham Lincoln

victorymon

• Pack Member
  • It wasnt me this time... I swear!
« Reply #168 on: May 06, 2018, 08:05:40 am »
I remember in one of the books the statement was that werewolves do diving because of the thrill.
Hey everyone, watch this, I´m an Artist: http://victorymon.deviantart.com/

SilverTreeSpirit

• Tinker
« Reply #169 on: May 06, 2018, 08:22:17 am »
That would fit in with weres being paratroopers, partially. I would not want to keep jumping out of a plane at atmosphere heights. One day my shoot might not pop open and have me float down. It has happened, just rarely, but I would not want to be the rare person it happens to. But I digress, doing it for the thrill shows little to no fear of those heights which you need to be a paratrooper.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power".-Abraham Lincoln

"Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing".-Abraham Lincoln

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #170 on: May 06, 2018, 08:56:09 am »
Depending on the fall, a chute (not shoot) not opening might be fatal. That's why (I believe) in the US a reserve chute is mandatory. 

Pilots who could stand high G-forces would have an advantage, true... But as for weres not being gunners, or tank drivers, I don't know.  Some of those guns take a lot of muscle to wrestle.  Or, you get a whole tank crew of weres, that tank gets stuck, and they can muscle it out of the spot!  LOL
Sniping - I don't think eye sight is that much better, and just because you're fast or strong, it doesn't mean you'd shoot more accurately. The average werewolf needs 15-30 minutes to change shape, so getaway wouldn't be fast, and they'd either be abandoning the weapon, or carrying it in their mouths - not conducive to breathing well while running, and it spreads the profile so they can't fit through narrow spaces - or trying to find a way to get it onto a harness they can shrug into after changing shape - with all the tender skin issues they have after shifting either way.  I don't honestly think it would be that much help, unless you're thinking instead "shoot, grab gun and run at human shaped werewolf speed to an unlikely hiding place, then bundle weapon and clothing into backpack/harness, change shape and lay -heh- doggo until the change tenderness has passed, then leave in wolf shape."  I'm not sure that would be very effective.

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #171 on: May 07, 2018, 02:45:52 am »
I don't think it's a great idea to have were's in the military. Their speed, strength and rapid recovery from wounds would not offset the occasional internecine violence and the need to go furry every four weeks.
That point made, I'd like to bring back the point that it is not necessary to have a parachute to jump out of an airplane.
It's only necessary if you want to do it twice.
“Do not be so open-minded that your brains fall out.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton
    “Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.”
    ― Albert Einstein

SilverTreeSpirit

• Tinker
« Reply #172 on: May 07, 2018, 05:42:26 am »
I'm thinking that tanks are still vulnerable to missile strikes and from enemy aircraft. There is no way you would survive an explosion from inside a "box". The ability to pull your tank out of a mess would be good. But weres would better handle a missile strike, or artillery shells, from out in the open ground. There would be no compressed explosion to kill them, like in a tank.
Weres would be good for handling heavy machine guns, and they would be able to control the heavy recoil.
They might be even capable of handling a .50 caliber Gatling Gun, spewing 1,300 rounds per minute.
Back to snipers. The were's strength and speed would be an asset to handle heavy sniper rifles, like the one used to pierce tanks with. Don't forget, they could handle more ammunition, too.
Eyes change as they get older. The lenses change shape, or we ruin the nerves/receptors in our eyes, by watching tv or computer screens in poor lighting, by watching screens too close to the eyes, and by rubbing our eyes with our fingers. Weres should not have a problem healing their eyes naturally. Weres, have the advantage of quickly running to different areas to set up sniper posts to cover their military buddies.

BillG, the weres could be considered special forces with specific limitations. I'm sure the military would find a way around the weres being moon called every four weeks. Although, i'm not sure how it would be done in engagements in enemy territory that last longer than 4 weeks. However, they can use packpower magic to make themselves only noticeable as big dogs. I think Mercy was able to use packpowers to make herself less noticeable when she was in Prague in Silence Fallen.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 05:54:31 am by SilverTreeSpirit »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #173 on: May 07, 2018, 06:10:07 am »
Ain't nobody surviving explosion inside a box, that's the point of causing them.  You know, "enemy fire"?

SilverTreeSpirit

• Tinker
« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2018, 06:32:34 am »
Ain't nobody surviving explosion inside a box, that's the point of causing them.  You know, "enemy fire"?
:) I'm implying that tanks would be a poor occupation, and hazardous, for weres, even with the possibility of them being able to move their tank out of a tough spot.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 06:35:48 am by SilverTreeSpirit »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #175 on: May 07, 2018, 05:38:03 pm »
Same for non-weres, is what I'm saying.

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #176 on: May 08, 2018, 07:53:12 am »
What she said.