Author Topic: Rank, dominance, Alphas, & the military  (Read 74051 times)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Re: Rank, dominance, Alphas, & the military
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2010, 08:12:28 pm »

But do we honestly believe this unhealthy samuel of today is likely to find a reason to stabilize himself and go on living if something in his life doesn't significantly change? 

I think we've all agreed for quite a while that Samuel has needed a change in his life in order to get healthy.

I don't currently see an alternative way of stabilizing him from his suicidal self, and given his chauvenistic personality

I don't see Samuel as being any more or less chauvenistic than any of the male wolves that we've encountered in the series. I've never thought it was as simple as finding a woman for Samuel that would be the magic wand to make him whole again. Like Mercy said, he needed to find something to live for just as Asil needed to find something to live for. 

I think any further Samuel discussion we can move over to his thread.

Ellyll, I agree that with the events of Silver Borne we've seen a significant shift in what it means for the female pack members in terms of dominance.

Hurog Means Dragon.

The Deposed King

« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2010, 10:56:07 pm »
TDK - "little woman" - really?   9)

I must beg to differ with you.  As it regards 'Dominance' pack females are officially outside of pack dominance issues. 

Not anymore.  Events in Silver Borne have changed that, don't you think?

Charmed started using the little woman analogy first, I was just happily speaking to her in her own chosen terminology  8)

But isn't Silver Bourne quite simply the exception that proves the rule was rock solid and broad sweeping across the entirety of north america up until that very moment?  A rule that stood the test of several centuries?

Now I'd agree that that things have changed ever so slightly and thus opened the door for a total revolution.  But first the door's only been opened a crack so far and for certain the door hasn't been thrown wide open.  Meaning in short that in every pack but (now) Adam's dominance and ranking are still entirely separate issues as it regards females.  Now in reality nothing has changed for females regarding their pack ranking since Honey lost her fight.  But in the realm of what is possible, unless adam or bran decide this was an unfortunate and never to be repeated mistake, this has opened the door for women to get involved in dominance fights. 

Which brings me back to the patriarchs who enforced this women are outside of dominance fights.  Bran, Charles and.... Samuel?  Can a person do such a thing for several centuries and not believe that some significant portions of what they are doing is correct?

The Deposed King

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2010, 02:48:59 am »

Charmed started using the little woman analogy first, I was just happily speaking to her in her own chosen terminology  8)

Looking back at Charmed's comment, it came across as a sarcastic, one off usage of the term. TDK, the repetitive usage of it in your upthread post, which I think you were trying for as arch came across as condescending, as does using terms like "fae broad". Let's move on from this please. Keep it respectful and when we know a character's name, let's use it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 02:53:53 am by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

The Deposed King

« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2010, 03:46:41 am »

Looking back at Charmed's comment, it came across as a sarcastic, one off usage of the term. TDK, the repetitive usage of it in your upthread post, which I think you were trying for as arch came across as condescending, as does using terms like "fae broad". Let's move on from this please. Keep it respectful and when we know a character's name, let's use it.

I fear that I cannot move on from this.  I agree that fae 'broad' can perhaps be viewed by reasonable people as an unnecessarily negative word choice.  And for that comment I am willing to take direction.  Although I could not at the time nor can I at this moment recall the name of Samuel's rediscovered lady love, nor are my books readily available to search for her name.

I however feel that when someone else uses a word choice which puts an unnecessarily negative slant on what I myself have just said and when I then, advancing my argument by ocsillation, use their own word choice to continue the thrust of my argument, that this occurrence should be entirely unremarkable and specifically unremarked upon.  Excepting perhaps in a back and forth manner which continues to grind away at the point under disputation.

However, this is the second time in which I have been told to straighten up.  The first was in the female pack thread and I can accept that I may have been the one in the wrong there, the once.  But upon this second time I cannot in good conscience acceed to your request.

The Deposed King can be called to task for the word choices or arguments which he himself introduces into a thread, but he must never be the sole individual censured when he himself did not introduce a term.  Not and remain The Deposed King.

However as you are an administrator and senior pack member and I merely a mechanic.  I shall delete my account post haste and make my speedy departure.

I would like to take this moment before I go to thank everyone who has worked so hard to make this site so very enjoyable.  This is a wonderful community of people who love the works of Patricia Briggs as much as I and I shall miss all of you.  This has been one of my two favorite sites to visit and just about every day I've found myself checking through here for the gems of conversation which have brightened my day ever so much.  I've literally spent hours upon hours here and enjoyed almost every minute of it.  Thank you all for the wonderful conversations and discerning looks into the characters we are so fortunate to have available for our reading pleasure.  I thank you once again and wish you all nothing but the best.  Rest assured if I find other readers who love these books as much as I do I shall be sure to point them in this direction.

Until the end,

The Deposed King

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2010, 03:52:38 am »
An interesting response to the issue, TDK. Sorry you feel insulted. Take care.
Hurog Means Dragon.

kody2by4

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2010, 05:04:17 pm »
Elle, I was thinking of Moon Called when Mercy went down the Top 5 of the Pack that her stepfather made her memorize. Or was that only for the Alphas?

Alphas and im not too sure that sam is less dominant than charles since dominance is one's capability too lead and if i had too choose between charles and sam i would follow sam into battle before charles. sorry but sam has never lost a fight yet so he has my confidence

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2010, 09:04:10 pm »
i would follow sam into battle before charles.

Into battle, I'm not sure I would care which one I was following.  Both of them are super-dominant and lethal, though they have completely different styles of leadership.  In everyday life, I'd rather have Sam in charge than Charles, simply because Sam is more of a 'people person' if you will.  Charles isn't inclined to express himself to the general public.

and I think the Top 5 Mercy went through were the top 5 wolves in North America; not just Alphas and not just a single pack.  Bran at the top, and his sons, who are not alphas but are in his Marrok Pack; then Adam, and then another Alpha.  It's probably safest for everyone if the top-ranked wolves be either in Bran's pack (and it doesn't hurt that they're related), or alphas of their own packs. 

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2010, 06:51:36 am »
It was the top 5 in North America
Howl more, whine less

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2010, 01:05:28 pm »
It was the top 5 in North America

the top 5 what? alphas? dominants? sexiest?
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2010, 03:32:55 pm »
Top five dominants, although sexiest would apply as well.  :-whistle At least for the top four.  We haven't met Everett yet, so no idea if he's as yummy as the others.  I cannot believe I just said that.
WAKE THE SANTAMIND. -Eric James Stone

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2010, 08:21:11 pm »
Top five dominants, although sexiest would apply as well.  :-whistle At least for the top four.  We haven't met Everett yet, so no idea if he's as yummy as the others.  I cannot believe I just said that.

Yeah but I'm not sure they're properly ranked for sexiness.  I mean, Bran rocks and is the top dog, but compared to Sam, Adam, and Charles on the sexy scale... I gotta go with Sam, Adam, Charles, Bran.  and then we have to consider the other wolves we know... all pretty sexy, not necessarily rank-correlated. 

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2010, 09:58:43 am »
Where does Everett live? I can't find the page in MC where it lists the 5 most dominant wolves.  Maybe we'll see him in the upcomming books.
Howl more, whine less

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2010, 12:25:50 pm »
Emerald Pack - I think its the Seattle. Check the ID Cards - there is info on side characters and werewolf structure. Its all in there :D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2010, 04:04:11 pm »
Everett is the Alpha of the Houston pack, according to his ID card.  Angus is the Alpha of the Emerald pack (Seattle).
WAKE THE SANTAMIND. -Eric James Stone

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2010, 02:43:58 am »
Thanks! :P

I think I got Everett confused with the Emerald pack - it was the E's LOL
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D