Author Topic: Rank, dominance, Alphas, & the military  (Read 57636 times)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Rank, dominance, Alphas, & the military
« on: August 20, 2007, 09:26:22 pm »
I came across this line in Blood Bound:
Being Alpha was more than dominant. There is magic in the bindings of a pack that gives power to their leader, he can draw on their strength and give some of it back to them.

I find the whole idea of pack magic to be fascinating. We've talked a bit about how Bran in full force would be like. Could he draw on all the packs of North America? That would be a pretty drastic last resort. Would he be even able to? You have to wonder if there's a distance limit...or no limit at all to the need.

We've seen it a couple of times with Adam. The pack both healing him...and he lending his power to Warren's healing process.

I'm definitely interested in seeing more of pack magic, and I can't help but speculate that we'll see some variation of it, either Bran or Adam, in the upcoming Charles and Anna books...or the third Mercy installment.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
Re: Rank, dominance, Alphas, & the military
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 01:31:53 pm »
I really want to know what happens if Bran ever calls on his Alpha Power. The results could be amazing. With power from all the packs in the US, what could you do with that?  :o
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 09:06:03 pm »
Hmm, how much could he push it out, too?  Would it filter through the other Alphas?
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 02:32:31 pm »
I know have this odd country wide picture in my head of all the alphas in the US kind of cocking their head, and then in Montana, bran begins to glow (hey, it is a lot of power).
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Pink Elephants

• Tool Wrangler
  • The Pink Elephant Mafia Rules the World
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 11:25:11 am »
I know have this odd country wide picture in my head of all the alphas in the US kind of cocking their head, and then in Montana, bran begins to glow (hey, it is a lot of power).

he he glowing. Someone should scratch behind his ear with a foot...while human. ;D
And now to the feast of Capulet, where Romeo is doomed to meet his Juliet. And where, in a scene of timeless romance, he tries to get into Juliet's pants.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 11:40:10 am »
Ha Ha!  ;D

Iris101

• Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 01:38:34 pm »
LOL :)

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 04:40:38 pm »
thats great
hopefully we'll learn more in Iron Kissed about the dfference between alpha and dominant wolves

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 04:51:40 pm »
To paraphrase Highlander "There can be only one." ;) 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 04:52:39 pm »
ha nice, but i wonder what futre problems these differences pose for adam and samuel and mercy's decision

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 05:54:31 pm »
If it ever came to a fight between Samuel and Adam, it might make a difference. 
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 08:44:32 pm »
especially with adam being able to call from the pack, plus since he is so dominant to begin with - being right after sam

courtesy of Has

saberhack

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 01:56:20 am »
Hi all first time poster and just finished the books.
and i was struck with some thoughts about the wolves in the military.
rank and dominance and how they would conflict

a bit of history, I spent 12 years in in the Army '92-'04, and most of them as a Military Police.
in the MP corps we have to deal with rank and authority all the time, where some stuffy officer tries to pull his rank on you the patrolman, it is one of the first things a new Private has to learn and get over. but at the end of the exchange they were both human.

wolves and the military,

Branches:
Navy/Marines: no wolves in these branches, to much water and time on ships.
Army: perfered
Air Force: possible but what self respecting wolf would be in the AF... thats just silly

The majority of wolves i see as in the military are lone wolves. Now i don't see the military as being a great carrier path for a wolf, due to many factor. The first being training time and deployed time: there have been many time when i was in the field where looking at the full moon on guard duty. How would a moon called wolf cope, i have not seen them as being able to resist the call. and  if they change in the field well that could be bad, even if they didn't eat some on, the SGT of the Guard walks around and doesn't find one of his people they are gonna have a bad day once they are found, and if they are still not out of the closet well, the military takes it personal when one there guys is not guarding his brothers while they are sleeping. Also with the wolf natural need to dominate lesser, this can also lead to altercations, but i will talk about that in  min.

The military how would they act, well that is a big thoughts i believe the they would form a wolf company, take all the outed wolves and stick them in once central area, to either 1) be a show piece or 2) buried, in some back water post.

the Company: now here is where the wolf and the military really collide, if the army sets all the outed wolves in one company and tells them to play nice and sit and stay.
what would happen if the command is of lesser dominance than a subordinate, wooo that would chap some wolfs tail.
how would a bunch of lone wolves react to forced pack, and a weak alpha, but not have to ability to challenge for pack dominance, due to rank structure.

What to do with them, well that is grand question, will they pull them out as a show piece
" Look here is our tame wolf pack, see them sit  see them stay, good dog, there is nothing to be afraid of here."
that will not be a good thing for them
ok thats all for now,

discuss

EDIT: edited spelling in title, charmed, books mod
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 09:17:19 am by charmed »

OTenshi

• Mechanic
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 02:07:16 am »
I have to agree that any wolf in the Navy or Marines would have to have been Changed after passing the swim quals, but there are plenty of Marine and Navy personnel who don't go on ships on a regular basis.  The whole 'first in, last out' thing with Marines would appeal to some werewolves, though.  Marines are netorious for having rank drilled into them, if he were Changed after being through bootcamp I don't see any reason that his wolf wouldn't understand that, even if he didn't like it, just like Asil went along with his Alphas even when he was more dominant.  The full moon would be a difficult thing to get around, though, no matter what branch they were in.  I tend to agree with the AF thing, but then again what better branch for setting your own days off?
I think I'm allergic to seriousness.  I seem to break out in hives every time I try it out.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 09:14:35 am »
Welcome, Saberhack!
First, while I've got the power, would you mind if I take that 'c' out of "Ranck"? 
Second, yeah, not going to be a lot of Navy werewolves, not with the water.  Marines are iffy; if they can stay away from water, or if they wear lifejackets relitiously, they should be all right.  I don't know any statistics, but don't a lot of Marines go through their whole careers not serving aboard any ships or boats of any kind?

Third, I don't see sticking all the werewolves into one company as a good solution at all.  That's like sticking all your snipers or all your SEAL teams into one company.  They need to be spread around, where their special abilities can be shared out to those who don't have them, quicliy & efficiently.  What good is a company of werewolves, either being filmed by the press or guarding a hole in the ground, when you need 6 stealthy, low tech hostage rescue teams in South America, Iran, Iraq, Afganistan?  Why turn them into parlor poodles when they could be guarding the President, ambassadors, etc.?  And since you generally can't tell by looking who is or isn't were, how about including them on negotiation teams, to sniff out lies?  Shoot, how about doing away with torture for information, long known to lead to the victim lying, just to stop the pain?  Just get a werewolf in to question the person, and know when they are or aren't lying? 

You had other questions/points, but I don't have your post in front of me, so I'll stop now.

Good debate points!  You're fitting in!
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.