Author Topic: Help!  (Read 5104 times)

midnight

• Tinker
Help!
« on: March 15, 2009, 01:08:15 pm »
At the risk of sounding stupid, could anyone tell me how you pronounce the name Aurielle?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 01:11:42 pm »
My guess:  "Au" like "Australia" "re"  like 'regarding' "Elle" like the french 'she', "L".  I'd put the emphasis on the first syllable, AUrielle.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 01:25:25 pm »
Any way you want?  It's you doing the reading, after all.  :D

I'm almost like Patti, but I pronounce it with the emphasis on the last syllable, oddly enough.  AuriELLE.  You'll probably get as many opinions as there are readers.  :D
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 04:27:25 am »
Don't we have some French speakers here?
Canadians where are you? :D

But I would think that Patti is right, saying it Auri'elle makes it just to much of a tongue breaker.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 07:00:27 am »
That's a name that got borrowed from my time in Latin America.   I was friends with a guy whose wife was named Aurielle, and met a couple other girls with that name in my travels.  I suspect that the name originated somewhere else, however, because although it's spelled with two L's, it's pronounced as if it had only one.  Spanish being not only a beautiful, but an orderly language,  words that don't follow the proper rules have usually been hijacked from somewhere else.

So, the Latinos say it something like:  Ow-ree-ALE-ay

By the way, the Aurielle I knew had spent some time in the states, and was very flustered because nobody could pronounce her name correctly.  Apparently they gave up and just called her "Jelly" the whole time she was here. ;D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:02:06 am by Mike Briggs »
Where's my super-suit?