Author Topic: Wannabe werewolves & forced versus voluntary changes  (Read 64516 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Wannabe werewolves & forced versus voluntary changes
« on: August 20, 2007, 10:14:28 am »
So.  Now that they're outed, what do you bet that those who are public are deluged by people demanding to be turned?  How much of a mess do you suppose that is?  Do you think there are pressures on them to change agents for the government?
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Morgaine0000

• Grease Monkey
Re: Wannabe werewolves & forced versus voluntary changes
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 12:58:27 pm »
The deluge may be tempered by the low odds of success and the steep consequence of failure.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 03:39:50 pm »
Yeah I'm sure there will be giant twits that will claim that the weres are just "trying to keep it to themselves!" :P 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 04:56:44 pm »
There are always twits like that. I can see the gov. trying to get some of their people turned, but I don't think It would be practical for them. They would lose more people than stayed alive, when it would be easier just to hire werewolves, or find weres that are already working for them and transfer them to another unit or task force or whatever. It would be a much more rational plan.
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 05:02:07 pm »
Yeah, but the government has never been known for its practicality  ;).  I think Patty said something about Ben putting the fear of weres into some snot-nosed teenagers.  I thought they would be anti-were but maybe they'll be wannabes.

Actually a scene with Adam or Sam (or especially Bran) dissuading some idiot of their ideas would be extremely funny.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 09:02:11 pm »
There's also the matter of whether the outed weres have made it clear how dangerous it is to attempt the change, how low the chances of survival, before gov't types will give the idea up.
And people who think it would be an advantage for themselves, especially any who are afraid of /disgusted by aging may be willing to risk it anyway.

Then there are less legal organizations that are already nearly werewolf/fae cold-blooded toward the underlings, & might force some of them into attempting it.
Just to throw out some more 'what ifs'. :D

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 01:33:36 pm »
Yeah, but the government has never been known for its practicality  ;).  I think Patty said something about Ben putting the fear of weres into some snot-nosed teenagers.  I thought they would be anti-were but maybe they'll be wannabes.

Actually a scene with Adam or Sam (or especially Bran) dissuading some idiot of their ideas would be extremely funny.

or better yet if it was Ben doing the dissuading.  ;D
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 11:26:56 pm »
There are always twits like that. I can see the gov. trying to get some of their people turned, but I don't think It would be practical for them. They would lose more people than stayed alive, when it would be easier just to hire werewolves, or find weres that are already working for them and transfer them to another unit or task force or whatever. It would be a much more rational plan.
Did you know, Spryte that the US had trouble absorbing the returning troops from WWII back?  The government had EXPECTED an attrition rate so much higher than happened because of first the Russian push & second, the collapse of Japanese resistance after the bombs were dropped that they weren't prepared to deal with the live young men coming home.
Do you really believe that people who think sending others out to die for 'honor' would really care if they only got back one in ten?  Or one in twenty?

On a different note, I was reading the Bran & Leah debate, & it occurred to me to wonder: if a woman was 8 months pregnant & attacked by a werewolf, what would it do to her baby?  She might die & the baby live, but would it be were?

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 06:00:12 pm »
Mmf, there's issues with both surviving the attack, and with the first change from what I gathered.  There seemed to be a lot of importance to have a dominant wolf around someone who's changing for the first time due to pain and the wolf taking over, which could lead them to running amok if they aren't reigned in. 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Pink Elephants

• Tool Wrangler
  • The Pink Elephant Mafia Rules the World
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 11:06:33 am »
Back on topic though. :) I think you hit the nail on the head about the difficulty in changing back. I think that any werewolf if they allow the wolf to have more control than their human side would run into problems in any scenario. That's the problem, I think with most new weres and why they're killed by the pack, the human can't control the wolf. So putting yourself in a situation where you relinquish the reins to wolf would be a bad thing.

I don't think when they are in wolf form the weres completely reliquish control. Remember when Sam freaked out in Mercy's van, he chilled out after awhile because Sam was back in control.
Also we seem to be forgeting the power of dominance and alphas. ;)
And now to the feast of Capulet, where Romeo is doomed to meet his Juliet. And where, in a scene of timeless romance, he tries to get into Juliet's pants.

Iris101

• Mechanic
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 01:48:06 pm »
I dont think the depression affects how long you can stay a wolf because after Mercy left, didnt Sam spend most of his time as a wolf?

(Sorry it wont let me insert the quote thingy  :-\ )

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 12:08:04 pm »
I think that's whaqt Bran says in mooncalled.
Maybe it's just a response they use to escape pain... letting the wolf take control may make it easier.
Just a thought.
It reminded me of the scenario that came up in the last short story in the On the Prowl anthology.

Phe

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 08:58:05 am »
It could be that for the animal mind, the emotions are simpler and thereby easier to deal with or ignore. Perhaps too, there is a need for escaping the ever active and admittedly paranoid human psyche. They may just need a break, and giving into the wolf, is a lot more theraputic.

Or at least, an obvious cry for help.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2007, 09:11:49 am »
plus i think that letting the wolf take control sometimes lets tham get rid of human nature and emotions and lets them slip into a sort of relaxed state of mind

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Pink Elephants

• Tool Wrangler
  • The Pink Elephant Mafia Rules the World
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 08:03:52 am »
haha It seems odd.

"How do you relax?"
"I turn into a vicious animal."
"Okay."
And now to the feast of Capulet, where Romeo is doomed to meet his Juliet. And where, in a scene of timeless romance, he tries to get into Juliet's pants.