Author Topic: What Authors Do YOU recommend?  (Read 3679 times)

libbymaureen

What Authors Do YOU recommend?
« on: August 19, 2007, 06:48:39 pm »
I am an avid fan and have scoured the libraries and book stores to read as much as I can (limited budget). I'm trying to find other authors that capture more information and worlds of the werewolves, faeries and vampires.  What have you read and by whom?  I swear I've re-read your Mercedes Thompson Series four or five times and each time catch something different. 

You rock!  Thanks for finding the world you created...It's awesome!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 07:13:44 pm by Elle »

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
Re: What Authors Do YOU recommend?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 12:48:53 pm »
I'm keeping this about werewolves and vampires and I'll divide my list into Urban Fantasy and Paranormal.  With this caveat -- I read a lot, but I don't read it everything.  And sometimes I'm grumpy when I pick up a book and the very best author in the world couldn't make me enjoy it.   I'm doing this off the top of my head, so I might stop back and add a few -- or I might forget some.   Also -- I like a lot of books.

Fae Urban Fantasy

Charles de Lindt
Terry Brooks (Running with Demons)
Emma Bull's War of the Oaks
Nicholas Stuart Grey (British author, if you can find his stuff, pounce on it!)  Grimbold's Other World, is perhaps the easiest to find.  Might not really qualify as Urban Fantasy, but he knows his Fae
Nina Kiriki Hoffman
and there are two others who are trying to beat me about the head and shoulders but I'll be darned if I can remember either title or author.  EDITED:  I remembered!
One of the two is Wen Spencer's Tinker novels  which are actually a cross between UF and The Philadelphia Experiment (good movie)
The other is The Perilous Gard, by Elisabeth Pope, which has sort of a Young Adult feel to it, but is still one of my favorite reads.

Urban fantasy:  (In no particular order)
Laurell K. Hamilton (warning or invitation:  after Obsidian Butterfly her books get more erotic)
Jim Butcher's Dresden books
Rob Thurman
Charlaine Harris
Kelly Armstrong
Kim Harrison
Lynn Viehl
Iona Andrews
Laura Anne Gilman
Anne Bishop (who belongs here with her Jewel and Belladonna books, even though her people aren't (quite) vampires)
Robin McKinley's Sunshine
Karen Chance
Rachel Vincent (published under romance -- but it feels more like UF to me)
Rachel Caine's Weatherwarden
Tanya Huff
P R Frost
(and a slew of others coming soon :)  one of the nice things about being a writer is that I get to read books before they come out)

Paranormal Romance

Christine Feehan
Christina Dodd (Scent of Darkness/Touch of Darkness)
JR Ward (Black Dagger Brotherhood)
Lora Leigh's genetically altered Breed series
Susan Squires (here's another romance author who would fit better as UF to me)
Melanie Jackson
Kresley Cole
Alexis Morgan
Nalini Singh

I actually read more Paranormal romances than UF (there are more of them published), but romance doesn't stay with me the way fantasy does.  And a lot of the paranormal romance writers are publishing their first books -- I've read a lot that I'll buy their next book because I think they're going to really set the world on fire as soon as they get a better handle on their craft.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 02:26:52 pm by Patty Briggs »

Matilda

• Tool Wrangler
Book Suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 08:27:55 am »
Hi Patty :)

I was wondering if you happen to have any good book suggestions.  I live in the Pacific Northwest like you (in the Seattle area), and all this rain and cloud cover has made me run for the indoors.  Since I can't fly to Hawaii, losing myself in a story would be a great escape! (although I'm sure if I drove east over the mountains I'd have a better chance at catching some sun).  Please help me forget that I'm wearing an extra large down jacket near the end of June!

My friends and family would thank you. I'm sure they're tired of hearing me mope about the weather...

Thanks!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Book Suggestions?
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 07:21:00 am »
I believe this is the information you're looking for:
http://www.hurog.com/forum/index.php?topic=229.0

--or at least where it's found. 
We'll merge this question with that topic about July 4, after you've had a chance to check here.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
Re: Book Suggestions?
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 07:39:33 pm »
I can add a few more to the list :)

Benedict Jacka is a new author and I really liked his Fated and Cursed.  They are UF with a male protagonist and set in England.  Emphasis is on the fantasy and less on the urban (real) components.  His protagonist is smart, which I really like.

Nalini Singh's newest Psy-Changling novel is supurb, as always.  As is Rob Thurman's Doubletake, the latest Cal novel.

So, lots and lots of good stories out there :)
Patty Briggs