Author Topic: Lynne Abbey  (Read 5644 times)

slcvamp

• Tool Wrangler
    • Blogger
Lynne Abbey
« on: February 26, 2009, 06:50:37 am »
I've only read two of her books but I think she is an amazing author. The books were part of the Unicorn and Dragon series which was supposed to be a series of I think 6 short stories but after the first two the publisher decided to end the project. The books were printed in 1987 and 1988 and I believe theyre pretty hard to find (it took me 5 years to find the first book, the second book I had happened upon in a used book store). I know that it's available via e-books.

Have any of you read her otehr books?
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"My ass is twitching, you people make my ass twitch.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" - movie, French Kiss

Staplegun

• Mechanic
Re: Lynne Abbey
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 07:39:29 pm »
I remember reading Sanctuary by Abbey, and I remember liking it quite a bit. My only problem with it was that I was unfamiliar with the world and didn't pick up quick enough. :/

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 07:32:36 pm »
Daughter of the Bright Moon, the first Rifkind novel, long agone. She put out a sort of 'decade to 15 years later' sequel fairly recently.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 07:36:11 pm »
I remember reading Daughter of the Bright Moon years ago...when I saw that new Rifkind book wasn't sure if it was a sequel or a reprint. I couldn't think of the title of the first one. I'd definitely have to reread DoftheBM again before touching the sequel. I think I'd be completely lost.
Hurog Means Dragon.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 07:37:12 pm »
She also wrote Beneath the Web and Jerlayne.  I have been looking for prequals or sequals to Beneath the Web since I found it at a friends of the library sale when I was little.  I have Daughter of the Bright Moon and debated getting her new one.  Still haven't decided.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 07:43:49 pm »
There was a second Rifkind book or novella not too long after the first one came out, but I didn't find it as engaging, and Abbey kind of drifted off my automatic 'check this out, and probably buy it' list. 

wizardbear

• Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 01:59:42 pm »
A correction, pardon; it is Lynn Abbey. The final e is not correct, forgive the minor nit.

I liked Daughter of the Bright Moon and Black Flame, wanted more, and got - Thieves World, alas. Very different voice, though good in and of themselves, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser -ish in "flavor" in a way.

The third Rifkind book, Rifkind's Challenge was for me a case of "too little, too late". Time had passed, I had changed, perhaps she had changed, it just wasn't the same. I would hope that new readers, who have the chance to read them all together, would fare better.

Rifkind's books are perhaps similar to the Sianim books, which may intrigue Hurogs. FWIW

Blog here:

http://www.lynnabbey.com/html/face_of_chaos_blog.html
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:03:29 pm by wizardbear »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 03:14:10 pm »
Yeah, I couldn't get into RC; Rifkin as an "old lady"?!?