Author Topic: Mary Janice Davidson  (Read 18181 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Mary Janice Davidson
« on: August 17, 2007, 11:53:47 pm »
You're most likely to have seen her books about Betsy Taylor, reluctant Queen of the Vampires.  Allied with those are the Wyndham Wolf Pact stories of the werewolves.   (Ah, got your attention there, didn't I, Mercy Thompson fans?)
There are generous dollops of humor in all her writing, including 2 titles involving a bionic woman produced using nanites. 

My favorites, & the ones that brought her to my attention, are the 'Royal' trio.  The premise is that the US never bought Alaska, so it's a seperate kingdom.  The royal family is full of loonies, headed off by big Al.  That's King Alexander the II (or maybe III), who likes to sneak off & captain a charter fishing boat.  He wears a t-shirt that says 'I'm the king, who the hell are you?'

She & her husband are collaborating on a teen series about a were-dragon (Gotcha again!  ;D) named Jennifer Scales.
Being a 14 year old isn't bad enough?  I'm going to turn into a dragon at the crescent moon, too?  Thanks, dad.  And whadda ya mean I've got to learn how to handle dragonslayer talents from mom?  Oy...
Oh yeah, some good reading here.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

jenglows

Re: Mary Janice Davidson
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 08:27:12 am »
Love Betsy,  love the shoes...

this is one of the only real "romance" series that i enjoy ( I consider Sookie more mystery and Rachel Morgan more action).

I picked up an short story book of her royal men stories and never read it,  I guess I'll look back into it.  I did really enjoy her book of short stories " Dead and Loving it", it has a few were-wolf stories in it, but I haven't read any of the Wyndham books.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 10:17:02 am »
A BOOK of short stories about the Royals?!  What's the title? (Slaver, slaver, swallow drool.)
I'm not sure there's more than 1 werewolf book, Derik's Bane.  There's a multi-author collection that has a short about a 'wolf who doesn't know of any others, moving into a town that's full of eccentric magical beings.  Not going to tell you more so I don't commit spoiler...  You could try her website.  That's where I found out there are only supposed to be 3 'Royal' novels :'( .  Well, maybe she WILL do some short stories set there later.

jenglows

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 08:08:45 pm »
Really unusual bad boys
    Davidson, MaryJanice

I didn't even crack it open, checked it out from the library and then returned it...  I'm still 2 books behind on the Betsy series because I decided to stop buying them after the third one because I never re-read them so now I have to wait on the the library copies - yuck.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 08:17:41 pm »
I'm not certain that's the right collection, she's in several, Jenglow.  I think either magic or moonlight is in the title of the 1 with the werewolf.  She's also got a short in a different collection about an albino woman who hunts vampires.  Thanks for trying, though.

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 05:55:19 pm »
Ok, went to the MJD website.  There is an anthology Really Unusual Bad Boys, but, alas, it is not about the Alaskan Royal Family.  Oh, well. 

SF

• Tool Wrangler
  • Lurking in the shadows
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 12:25:18 pm »
yea but Really Unusual Bad Boys does have something to do with were's and royalty
"Don't laugh at live dragons" - Bilbo Baggins

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 01:24:54 pm »
I'll have to see if I can't get my hands on it.  The third in the Alaskan Royals trio is out now, & the young woman is just as ornery as any of her Baranoff relatives.

jenglows

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 09:40:45 pm »
Finally caught up on Betsy!  Whoot! Really liked the last one :)

Mary

• Grease Monkey
    • blog
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 11:28:51 am »
I've read hello gorgeuos, and the first books of Betsy, the protagonistes of these books remind me a lot the protaginist of Sophy Kinsella book. Very funny.
Of Davidson I love the whindam werevolves series, and Slepping with fish (I' have the splash syndrom love every book with mermaid, I also love Soul song the last Marjotrie Liu book, Soul Song, with a gorgeous merman)!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 11:32:11 am by Mary »
to read is to change

white_unicorn

• Mechanic
  • The stories are written at Wattpad - Wolf_Lady :)
    • Wattpad - Stories
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 08:35:43 am »
Read Undead and Unwed and got hooked, those books are just hilarious,everytime i try to express that word in greek Hilarious is right on the tip of my tongue so I just stop trying to explain the books (plus they are not translated in greek yet - the Anita Blake ones are translated up to the 3rd and I am not sure if they will continue after the 6th we are really good at cursing anything with sex and then just watch it straight in the news) I am up to the 5th book right now, I love Sink Lair.... How could Betsy only have him twice in two books? And hearing his thoughts? I'd pay (not that I could pay) to be able to do it....

I read Really Unusual Bad Boys and they were as funny... I adored the werewolves but the first story.... was a bit crude....

well that's all.... :D

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 06:58:42 pm »
white_unicorn, just a quick note: Sink Lair is actually Sinclair. Did it translate into Sink Lair? How funny. Lair is  a hiding place or bait and sink is a noun, a wash basin or a verb, to to fall or lower down. :D
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 07:29:23 pm »
white_unicorn, just a quick note: Sink Lair is actually Sinclair. Did it translate into Sink Lair? How funny. Lair is  a hiding place or bait  :D
Um, I don't think a lair is a type of bait, twin, that would be "Lure".

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
  • To live is to dance, to dance is to live.
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 09:16:52 pm »
The funny thing here is, the sexy vamp's name is Eric Sinclair, but he pisses Betsy off a lot, so she calls him Sink Lair to annoy him back - which works wonderfully!!  ;)

I also love the way Betsy can't talk properly when her fangs are out!!! Waahaaaa!! She gets a lisp, so she says things like 'I've tho had enough of thith' and everybody keeps asking her what's wrong with her voice. :D You'd think the vampire queen should be able to speak properly with her fangs out... It cracks me up every time.
Check out my aspiring-writer's blog: http://mylinesmylife.blogspot.com/

white_unicorn

• Mechanic
  • The stories are written at Wattpad - Wolf_Lady :)
    • Wattpad - Stories
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 10:17:53 pm »
Funny, I always thought Lair to be the 'center of operation' for the bad guys (never really checked it in a lexicon..... like in Lord of the Rings Shelob's Lair it was the nest of the spider. if talking about normal bad guys though I take it to be their place of hiding or the place of 'beginning' of operation.

I know his name is Sinclair, I just loved the way Betsy used it in the first books to torment him....

And the way she is outgrossed on the whole blood-drinking need.... Queen of Vampires Doesn't Want to Drink Blood.... Nice title for an article... don't you think?