Author Topic: Jenna Black  (Read 15381 times)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Jenna Black
« on: February 16, 2009, 07:00:40 pm »
These are books based on an exorcist Morgan Kingsley who is possessed by a demon. I'm reading the first one:

The Devil Inside

Anyone read her at all? It's good so far.
Hurog Means Dragon.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
Re: Jenna Black
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 07:01:38 pm »
I liked the first one. I read it last spring and don't recall a whole lot but I have the sequel, The Devil You Know sitting at home, waiting to be read.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 07:41:11 pm »
I think there are three now (?) and I've enjoyed them all. Smexy but original and fun.

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 08:02:46 pm »
Heh. Smexy. :D I'm enjoying this first one...enough to pick up the second the next time I'm in the bookstore.

charmed if you get around to reading it let me know how it is! I have a few books like that on my TBR pile that I keep putting off. I'll get to them someday.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Ducky

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 08:31:25 pm »
I've read them and loved them.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 09:50:07 am »
They are good.  Some interesting twists thrown in there.  She has written another series too that I haven't checked out yet. 

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 09:52:18 am »
I have the first book of the other series- its more focused on vampires, but this demon series sounds more explicit.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 09:55:20 am »
Has - there's definitely some explicit sex in these books, both homosexual and heterosexual. So be aware of that before getting into them!

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 09:55:31 am »
I read the first one and I spent most of the time with my hands hitching from want of slapping the heroine. :P

The idea behind the story is good, but I couldn't for the life of me force myself to like the main character: she mostly came out to me as a hormone-driven teenager with the mental response-patterns (to everything that wasn't sexual) of a 10-years-old. O_o And given that she should be a 28-years-old exorcist, the thing isn't good at all. :-\ Not to mention that I'm not a fan of gratuitous sex scenes (that's not to say I don't like sex scenes, but they need to have a reason behind them, IMHO) and there were more than a few that could have been avoided. ::)
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 09:59:21 am »
I dont mind sex scenes- but I am with Maz- if there is no need for them and its just added there for titlation then its off putting. I think LKH's latter books have made me sensitive to that :P

It sounds like I wont pick up this series then - the heroine sounds pretty annoying. I can live with sex scenes :D but annoying heroines :S
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 10:07:04 am »
Well, I didn't find her particularly annoying, so your mileage may vary on that one. <shrug>

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 10:10:50 am »
Well, everyone have their tastes: what I like isn't necessarily what you like and vice versa. ;)

It's just that Morgan really really rubbed me the wrong way, so I had a very hard time getting to the end. :P
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 10:14:51 am »
The Smex to me was meh.  Morgan's character gets better as the series develops, so does the idea behind it.  I  like them because of the overall plot I guess you could say.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 10:25:03 am »
I find I'm most skipping over the sex scenes to get to the story. Sad but true. It's an interesting idea. The main comes across as very young and rebellious to her staid family. She has reasons for some of it...the rest I'm hoping she'll grow out of as the books go on. I've only just met the "Lugh" character so I'm curious to his orgins and how he and Morgan will work together.
Hurog Means Dragon.

esiders

• Tinker
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 08:00:23 am »
I've read all three Morgan Kingsley book (think a new one comes out this summer).  Yes she can be very annoying, but her character improves (matures?) by the third book.  I really like the premise of the book...along with the 5 main male characters.