Author Topic: The Spirit Tides  (Read 20057 times)

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
Re: Silver Bullets?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 12:51:42 pm »
Second thing is, the leaving out of at least one key element.  They did that on the Magyver tv show, for much the same reason.  Keep people from doing it out in the real world & maiming or killing themselves because they weren't competent enough to pull it off.

LOL!  I've seen a lot of sources take that approach to things.  I've done quite a bit of chemistry (I used to work as an analytical chemist, many moons ago), and I LOVE all the encyclopedia articles that try to take that approach with building explosives.  What cracks me up is that, quite often, the omitted element won't prevent you from making the explosive, it just guarantees that you'll kill yourself seconds later.  The classic are recipes for nitroglycerin that don't include the need for COOLING the mixture, which is fairly exothermic as well as unstable.   Thats like including a treatise on demon summoning, and "forgetting" to explain protective circles!   ;D
Where's my super-suit?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 02:53:04 pm »
Oh, yes, indeed.  Or, as I've been groaning about, sending emails as response to the complaint that the email can't be accessed.  Catch-22 is alive and well.  You'd think that someone involved would vet it with somebody who knows the subject, saying "what's the worst thing that will happen if we leave this like this, and someone tries it?"  Murphy is also alive and well.  Flourishing, even.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 03:11:44 pm »
wow, really great explainations thats for all the trouble

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 03:57:59 pm »
Har, except a bride I'll n'eer be! 

Gee, I think I have hoof-in-mouth disorder again.  I'm sorry, I know there are many romantic arrangements outside of marriage, and that it's not P.C. to assume all couples are married.  I'm just a backwards bumpkin, don't hold it against me.
Where's my super-suit?

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 04:01:54 pm »
*Hugs Mike* You'd need to do more then that to make us hold it against you. :D

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 05:10:02 pm »
Har, except a bride I'll n'eer be! 

Gee, I think I have hoof-in-mouth disorder again.  I'm sorry, I know there are many romantic arrangements outside of marriage, and that it's not P.C. to assume all couples are married.  I'm just a backwards bumpkin, don't hold it against me.

Oh don't get upset about it, I was just teasing. ;)  P.C. drives me crazy, no need to lawyerize every word you say, or super analyze what everyone else says.
   By the way, I don't think anyone would start a flame war about anyone else's religion unless they came in and said "Hi, I'm a (whatever) and because I'm one and you're not, you're all going to be tortured for eternity!  Ta ta!"  Well, either that or they eat babies or something.  Cult of Saturn and whatnot. 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 07:58:46 pm »
By the way, I don't think anyone would start a flame war about anyone else's religion unless they came in and said "Hi, I'm a (whatever) and because I'm one and you're not, you're all going to be tortured for eternity!  Ta ta!"  Well, either that or they eat babies or something.  Cult of Saturn and whatnot. 

I should hope not, you have to be tolerant (to a degree) to read fantasy and the sort anyways.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 09:39:17 pm »
I always remember the joke about how only 2 things matter, and it all boils down to not actually mattering anyway, and let it go.  I doubt, personally that the Deity really cares how we observe in detail, just so we do.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2007, 02:32:26 pm »
lately its actually really hard to be P.C. with everything that has changed.  same sex couples, gay marriages, etc. . .

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

jenglows

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2007, 03:13:15 pm »
lately its actually really hard to be P.C. with everything that has changed.  same sex couples, gay marriages, etc. . .

I don't know that modern times are much different than the past. I'm very liberal, but sometimes I make mental assumptions based on my own experiences and desires. It's hard not to, I think it's really impossible to speak to everyone like you are familiar with their personal situation. All I can strive for is keeping an open mind and correcting myself when needed.  Or at least trying too :)

I think most everyone that reads fantasy/SF has the ability to be tolerant, but that's just my assumptions based on my own experiences ;)

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2007, 03:41:55 pm »
i believe that is pretty true also.  fantasy/sf books usually make you more open to possibilities

courtesy of Has

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
The Spirit Tides
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2009, 01:12:30 pm »
The Silver Bullet thread started by Grey Drakkon quickly moved on to the matter of how the Spirit Tide worked.  Mr. Mike actually started it with an addendum to his answer about the casting of silver bullets.  It is quoted here below.

This reminds me of when Patty was writing "When Demons Walk", and she wanted to have a "spirit tide", a once-a-month super-tide.  It was important to the story, but she wasn't sure it could really happen.  She also didn't want to use multiple moons etc. unless it was absolutely necessary, because that opens another can of worms.  So, being an aquatic biologist, I broke out my fluid dynamics texts and spent numerous hours crunching numbers and finally found that, given a particular underwater geography and a specific arrangement of currents, it WAS possible to have a regular, localized supertidal event.  Maybe it was a wasted effort -- you'll notice that the pages of calculations don't appear in the book, and most readers probably don't care.  But it made the world more real to me, because it COULD happen.   It wouldn't require Gods, or magic or extra moons, just a simple accident of geography.  Fiction is a funny thing -- you can fabricate worlds, civilizations, cultures, weapons or whatever and the reader will believe it.  Screw up on something as simple as a glass of water, and the whole illusion collapses.   

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
Re: The Spirit Tides
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2009, 03:36:17 pm »
That is awesome! I thought it was magic, but this is way cooler.

pence

• Grease Monkey
Re: The Spirit Tides
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2009, 10:41:44 am »
Books that introduce multiple moons have always given me a mild intellectual headache, as I keep trying to figure out how one would get tide tables out of them !  Then one might introduce a twin sun into the mix..........instant migraine!