Author Topic: Combined musings on ebooks and publishing  (Read 84998 times)

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
Re: Piracy of E-books
« Reply #255 on: April 06, 2011, 09:17:14 pm »
One of the mods might weigh in on this, but I think Patty signed away rights to the paperback, hardcover, audio, movie, and ebook rights with her contract.

It is standard these days for publishing companies to want all of the rights.

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #256 on: April 07, 2011, 07:46:34 am »
I for one would jump on the opportunity to be able to have both the Hardcover for my physical library and the eBook for my virtual library of all of Patty's current works, especially if I knew the funds would go direct to hurog.com. Something just rubs me the wrong way about paying and additional $13 to amazon or b&n on top of the $20 I just paid for the hardcover (all while never knowing how much of those purchases actually makes it to Patty's bank account).

Yeah, I always thought that a model would make sense, that gives us dead tree buyers (we are a dying race anyways, I feel) an opportunity to get the eBook version at a discount price. I don't actually read eBooks, but I find them to be handy to quickly look up single passages in a book.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:49:17 am by Gerd D. »
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #257 on: April 07, 2011, 08:04:57 am »
It's going to take someone with more knowledge of the publishing world than I have to give a definitive answer on this, but I think that Avarel has covered the basics.
First - Emphasis on this, FIRST - rights for visual production (meaning dead tree or e-book) of the material, in the "home territory" of the publishing house are probably automatically included in the contract these days.  Audio, graphic novel, movie/TV rights, RPG rights, they would be specified as well, if the publishing house has any connections with any of those media, I think.  As in, Time-Life books I believe are in the same mega-corporation as Paramount or one of the other big studios, which may have bought Marvel or DC comics, for example... I have no idea what audio facilities they may have.
Moving to different "home territories", as for British rights, or Australian, European, bits of Asia or Africa, the publishers in that territory would negotiate the rights for what is allowed in those zones. 

The author would need several things to do as suggested regarding making the e-book version available through their own web site, starting with a way to scan or type it into an electronic version that was essentially error free and had coding to work with various e-reader devices, which does cost some money.  They would have to have some way of collecting the payment, and of making the ... software? ... accept variable payment for the same product.  They would have to have (I suspect) some human to keep watch over it to transfer payments to main corporate account and set up collections for bounced payment, resolve issues of corrupted files, etc.
I don't think that's likely to happen for a "mid list" author as easily as it will for rock stars, the amounts of money they get aren't enough to support it, and in a Catch-22 fashion, they can't get there until they ARE there, that is, until they have the money to set it up, they can't get the money to set it up.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
Re: Combined musings on ebooks and publishing
« Reply #259 on: December 11, 2012, 10:47:56 am »
http://rolanni.livejournal.com/  Important for other authors than this pair; All Baen e-books will be affected by Baen's new deal with Amazon & other ebook publishers/device proprietors.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #260 on: September 05, 2014, 07:36:50 pm »
I thought they were talking about the cafes, but it's a (printer) machine brand:  http://publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/digital/retailing/article/63863-b-n-testing-espresso-book-machines.html

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #261 on: September 06, 2014, 07:10:52 am »
Strange, but interesting.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

ironkitten

• Mechanic
  • it all started with chocolate! - Mercy
« Reply #262 on: January 01, 2015, 06:18:59 am »
I still like a good traditional book. I buy the series that I love in book form so I can read anywhere power or not. But church on Sunday I like my ebook bible it's not so bulky. I mean ebooks save space but power dies on the device or you can't get the device anymore your stuck. Although I have seen a lot of companies like Kindle have put out a free reading app so not completely stuck unless power outage.
Qualified hairdresser now - watch out here I come and I have scissors & hair dye!