Author Topic: Urban fantasy recommendations with no graphic sex, please?  (Read 25940 times)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Re: Urban fantasy recommendations with no graphic sex, please?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 03:47:22 am »
I dont think anyone can write anything close to Sunny ;D - well LKH does but thats a whole different genre in itself ;D

Laura Anne Giman's Cosa Nostradamus series
Staying Dead,
Curse the Dark
Bring it On
Burning Bridges
Freefall

- I think in book 2 or 3 there was a sex scene but it was pretty tasteful and definitely not explicit and the latter books either fade to black or its vaguey. There is also a central romance in the series - it reminded me of a Numair and Daine vibe from the Immortals quartet by Tamora Pierce. And  its also a fantastic series and its different from the typical vamps and werewolves if you want a change of pace.

Ann Aguirre's Grimspace and Wanderlust series - although its set in space, its more urban fantasy set in space than sci fi or even space opera.

Also another Raines Beneres series by Lisa Shearin- this is more traditional but it definitely has an urban fantasy feel to it. There is no explicit sex yet although there is love triangle forming - I doubt it will go the way LKH or Sunny. And I am hoping that Raines will go for the bad boy ;D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Lianne

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 12:34:11 pm »
Woo, thank you for all of these suggestions! :D

I think most people didn't suggest Ilona Andrews because I've already read those books... said so in the original post, but easy enough to miss since I didn't say the specific titles--they are excellent and I'm impatiently waiting for Magic Strikes.  And I've also read Marie Brennan's books.  Love them.  (And I am kind of happy you list them by those names instead of the renamed Warrior and Witch.  I understand why the names got changed, but bah.)

Raines Beneres books.  I think I was looking at those and trying to decide whether to get.  I decided against at the time, but I know I've picked one up and wondered.

Cool. :-)  My question has resulted in a list of some authors I know but didn't know they had other aspects to their writing, some I've wondered about, and some I've never heard of.  That sounds like a pretty good mix to me.  Again, thank you!

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 12:38:42 pm »
Lianne- you discovered a bookpusher's haven  here lol

The Raines Beneres books have really bad covers I think - that was one of the main reasons why I didnt pick up the books sooner. But I am glad I read this review which made me decide to pick it up and its definitely one of the best series out there.
I hope you discover some treasures :D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 02:20:42 pm »
And I've also read Marie Brennan's books.  Love them.  (And I am kind of happy you list them by those names instead of the renamed Warrior and Witch.  I understand why the names got changed, but bah.)

Partially because I've had them so long I completely forgot that they had been renamed.  ;D  I like the original titles better anyway. :)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 05:23:15 pm »
A single sort of urban fantasy is the first title by L.(L.? Or A.?) Martinez, "Gil's All-Fright Diner" is hilarious, and even the sex is fairly vague and funny.  The later books are further off the 'urban fantasy' trail, but that one does take place is a ficton not too far from our world.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

IvyBRT

• Tinker
    • Book Reader Times
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 06:57:11 pm »

Stephenie Meyer (Twilight Series)
P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast (House of Night Series)

I think that both of these series are great! They don't have bad sex scenes. They do have sex involved, but they dont go in to deep details.

desertlass

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 07:50:15 am »
They are not exactly urban fantasy, but have you read any Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels?  Fun, adventurous without any descriptive snex.  I especially like the Vicky Bliss series (mysteries).  There is also an interesting series with some Native American lore by Margaret Coel.  If you like Tony Hillerman at all, I think you'd like these.

wiggles

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 10:34:11 am »
There's a young adult writer named Cassandra Clare who has a good series. Long books and very good.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 10:47:57 am »
I just got City of Glass the other day! And I agree I really enjoyed her series, I hear shes going to do a prequel set in the Victorian times and will focus on the ancestors of the characters in the main trilogy.

desertlass

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 07:47:16 am »
Thanks for all of these suggestions.  I am in the middle of reading the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld.  They are YA, so they are clean, and the stories are really very good.  There is even romance!

Anyone else have suggestions?  I'm alway looking for less profanity and graphic sex with more adventure and romance.  A little magic is good, too.

Vinity

• Mechanic
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 08:45:48 am »
Melissa Marr's YA Wicked Lovely series sex is not explicit. Also I see people have mentioned CE MUrphy's Urban Shaman but the Negotiator Series doesn't have much sex in it either. And of course, Harry Dresdan {Jim Butcher's Dresdan Files} rarely gets laid and that's just sad LOL 

desertlass

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 09:15:26 am »
Oh, I know.  Poor Harry.  Have you heard about the first line from his next book?  You just have to watch out for that unprotected nookie!

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2009, 09:17:46 am »
where did you hear about the first line is up on the website?
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

desertlass

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 09:37:31 am »

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 10:10:24 am »
A 100 pages of speculation off of a misquoted start thread. lord
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General