Author Topic: Urban fantasy recommendations with no graphic sex, please?  (Read 25939 times)

Lianne

• Tool Wrangler
Urban fantasy recommendations with no graphic sex, please?
« on: February 13, 2009, 08:18:03 pm »
When I went to Patty's signing last weekend, I finally got around to buying myself a copy of On the Prowl.  I'd read Patty's story in it before, but had not read the other three stories.  I settled in to read them the other night.

I HATED them.  Or rather, I hated the last two and the first non-Patty story was okay but nothing special to my mind.  But what was really getting me was all the sex, sex, sex.  I think there was something like 20 pages of sex in the last story.  I don't know.  I ended up losing track of the story (and not caring) and skipping ahead because, well, apparently I am really turned off by supernatural sex.  I didn't like it in Charlaine Harris' Dead Until Dark, either, though that was better than the last story in On the Prowl.  Egads.  I didn't even bother finishing that story.  I felt like I needed to read something else to cleanse my head.  I went back to the beginning of the book and reread "Alpha and Omega."  That did the trick. :-)

I like the way Patty writes it.  I like when it's more implied.  I like when the plot doesn't revolve around it.  Attraction and tension, sure!  I love Adam and Mercy's interactions. :-)

I haven't read much urban fantasy.  It's not my favorite subgenre, I've got to say, but I like the well-done stuff.  I love Patty's take on it.  I recently read Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels books and like them.  I prefer third person narration, but the people who write well enough for me to like them in urban fantasy probably write well enough to for me to like them in first person.

I got suggestions from the people I was with in line for Patty's signing, but that was before I read those On the Prowl stories and I didn't think to ask about how much sex is in those books.  I didn't think I was a prude about sex in books, but... I don't know.  Maybe I am.  I know there's sometimes a thin line between paranormal romance and urban fantasy, and I guess I really dislike paranormal romance.

Since I know from the signing that Patty's fans have typically read a lot more urban fantasy than I have... does anyone have any recommendations for me that avoid sex being such a focus (though please don't suggest Twilight :>)?  I was planning to give Kim Harrison a try (because I know her alter-ego writing self and like all of those books), but beyond her I'm sort of at a loss.

I hope I haven't stepped on any toes with this.  It's been bubbling at the back of my head ever since reading those stories... and I feel bad disliking anything in a book that involves Patty.  I think that's why I was so surprised... PATTY was in the book.  I sort of automatically expected to like the other contributors just by association.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
Re: Urban fantasy recommendations with no graphic sex, please?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 08:24:36 pm »
Anything by Charles de Lint.

Mark del Franco's books.

Rob Thurman's books, although they're not quite the same as the Mercy books.  Jennifer Rardin's Jaz Parks series.  Kat Richardson's Greywalker series.  Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series (might be the rare sex scene, but whole books go by without it). 

That's top of my head.  I know there are more, but I'll have to think about it (I'll probably come up with a half-dozen as soon as I hit Post). 
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 08:56:06 pm »
Yeah, Kim Harrison is pretty safe. Lots of flirting and thinking about hot men, but not a lot of sex scenes. Oh, and believe me, we understand about not liking the last story in On the Prowl. I don't mind some fun erotica, but that was just... kinda gross, in my opinion. And, somewhere on here you can find a thread in which you will discover that many people share our opinion on that story!! :)

You might also check out Michelle Sagara's "Cast In" series. It's kind of an urban paranormal / straight fantasy combination, but there's very little (if any) sex in it.

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Lianne

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 09:36:53 pm »
I've read and love Michelle Sagara's Cast in... books. :-)  Those are reread favorites of mine.
I forgot about Dresden Files, but I've read a little of that, liked it, and do plan to read more.  Thanks for reminding me!
I've read some straight fantasy Charles de Lint.  Didn't know he did urban fantasy.
The rest I haven't heard of, but yay!  Recommendations! :-)

Thank you, and it's nice to know I'm not alone in my feelings on that story.  I'm new enough to the forum that I haven't dug through all the threads.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 09:51:57 pm »
Go to "Acronym Alley" in Patti's Place, you'll find that you're a natural member of COMFIE, Lianne.  Welcome.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 02:32:27 am »
Tanya Huffs Blood books spring instantly to mind (yeah, I know, I try to sell her to everybody :D),
Blood Prize & Blood Trail
Blood Lines & Blood Pact
Blood Debt & Blood Bank
(you can get them in handy cheap omnibus editions collected as shown above, in fact Blood Bank which collects the short stories is only out as part of the omnibus edition)
There is a short lived spin-off to those (Smoke & Mirrors?) but I haven't read any of them.

Kelley Armstrong isn't too much about sex either, I think (I know I enjoyed them which usually means no overt sex content, if we forget for a moment the fact that I also like to read Lori Handeland).

Wolfsbane & Mistletoe happens to feature very few sex scenes (two notable exceptions: Dana Stabenow and Keri Arthur seemed to be only about that), and is a fine collection of Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance stories (including one from out hostess, though I believe at least half of the authors stem from completly different fields so that may be what makes it better).
It's is, obviously, centered on the festive season.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 07:34:40 am »
Tanya Huffs Blood books spring instantly to mind (yeah, I know, I try to sell her to everybody :D),

* slaps head *  Dang!  Knew I was forgetting someone!
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

acread

• Tool Wrangler
  • the local mad scientist
    • AC Read Bookstore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 07:42:18 am »
Try C.E. Murphy. As far as I can remember not much of sex in that (quite a bit of a crush and maybe a scene with nakedness without the sex). It's mostly adventure and mystery.

Also Kat Richardson is paranormal mystery. (maybe one sex thing in there some place, but as I remember it was glossed over).

Non paranormal without sex and quite funny is Sophie Kinsella. The shopaholic boooks skip over the thing completely, but there is teasing. Just no telling.
I went through a phase...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 09:12:48 am »
There are so far 3 novels & a short story (that I know of) in the Blood spin off series by Tanya Huff.
Smoke and Shadows
Smoke and Mirrors
Smoke and Ashes
I don't remember the title of the short story, nor which collection it's in, but it's a multi-author anthology about magic and students or apprentices in magic.  It's not "Witch High" nor "Mis-spelled", but it's from January 2008 or after.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 01:48:03 pm »
Lynn Kurland's Nine Kingdom's series is good and her books are always fade to black when it comes to sex. Also, pretty much anything by Mercedes Lackey.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 02:08:05 pm »
Do my eyes betray me or noone suggested Ilona Andrews?! :o

Well then: Ilona Andrews, Magic bites and Magic Burns. ;D

Lilith Saintcrow, the Dante Valentine series and the Jill Kismet series.

*scratches head*

I see Jennifer Rardin's already been covered, so that's it.

For now.

;)
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 02:18:39 pm »
Maz,
I didn't recommend Ilona Andrews because while we haven't had any yet there is still the possibility... ;)

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 05:15:57 pm »
I would highly recommend her anyway.  With two books in I'm guessing that when "the possibilities" do get introduced they will be tasteful.  I can't see her throwing it in our faces the way some do if she hasn't already. :)  They are so good I can't help not recommending them.  :P

I know you were asking about Urban Fantasy, but I thought I would mention Doppleganger and Warrior Witch by Marie Brennan if you haven't read them.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 06:38:15 pm »
C.E. Murphy's The Walker Papers series. "Urban Shaman","Thunderbird Falls, and "Coyote dreams".
they also fall in the No sex yet catagogry
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 03:07:06 am »
Maz,
I didn't recommend Ilona Andrews because while we haven't had any yet there is still the possibility... ;)

You're right, but meanwhile she can enjoy the first 2 books in the series, that are awesome. Then, as Elef said, I can't think she'll write something a la Sunny when the time will come. ;)
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.