Author Topic: HBO's George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones  (Read 25142 times)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
Re: HBO's George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2012, 10:07:19 am »
We got Season one on DVD last weekend and watched the first episode!! Finally :)
I do know many of the spoilers, but I think I'll still be good. I just know some of the major ones, not the minor ones.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2012, 01:10:49 pm »
The peasants need to revolet.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

kimluvs2read

• Tinker
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2012, 08:21:23 am »
LOVE LOVE LOVE this show! I am so addicted! But I won't read the books until after each season is done. I don't want to spend the whole time watching the show comparing it to the books.

YES JOEFFRY MUST DIE! And yes it needs to Sansa! And so loved when she finally stood up to him.

Most of the Starks seem pretty hardcore on the White side of the scale, where as there doesn't seem to as many characters firmly on the Black other than Joeffry.

Loved the Dragons!

Season 2 has been great so far too, just have to make sure I have plenty of fast forward time, since my teenage kids are watching it with me! Awkward!  ??? :o ;)

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2012, 08:00:35 pm »
Can someone help me understand one scene in the show?  The young boy who was thrown out of the window is dreaming, I think.  Suddenly, the wolf is standing on his bed looking down at him and in the next scene, there is a man in the doorway and the wolf is gone.

Was he dreaming?  Or not?

He also thinks he's becoming the wolf.  Is this possible?

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #124 on: May 28, 2012, 01:15:59 pm »
Can someone help me understand one scene in the show?  The young boy who was thrown out of the window is dreaming, I think.  Suddenly, the wolf is standing on his bed looking down at him and in the next scene, there is a man in the doorway and the wolf is gone.

Was he dreaming?  Or not?

He also thinks he's becoming the wolf.  Is this possible?

I'm sure there are people who know more than I do, as I've not read the books, but it looks to me as if Bran - and possibly his little brother - are able to have "true" dreams of the future through the eyes of their wolves. I suspect there's more to it than that, given the presence of the three-eyed raven that the female wilding (can't remember her name either) reacts to that image. The white-haired maester who's been teaching the boys says that such things were legends and stories in the old days, but he dismisses them as "fairy tales", essentially. I don't know anything about him becoming the wolf, but that's a possibility, too.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2012, 07:34:20 pm »
Thanks for your insight.  I suppose if I had read the books, it would make sense.  Maybe I'll read them someday.  Or not.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2012, 05:04:12 pm »
Downloaded the first couple of episodes on iTunes.  There's an awful lot more nudity than I expected. 

ppbwashu

• Tinker
  • God, thank you for moving me to wine country!
« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2012, 12:06:54 pm »
I've only seen the first two episodes (so far, lack of opportunity since we don't have HBO), and it had about as much nudity as I expected.
Find what you love and do it!

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2012, 04:22:12 pm »
The first full-frontal-male caught me off guard. 
But admittedly... I didn't really check the rating before I started watching.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2012, 12:09:09 pm »

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2012, 07:14:18 pm »
In the case of this show I have to say I'm on the fence as to whether I think "whatever" or "seriously, now that's just way too much" when it comes to nudity.

On the one hand... sex happens.  naked happens.  As long as you're not trying to get me to participate and I have the option to shut off the TV should I decide it goes overboard... I really don't care one way or the other. 
But, I was raised relatively conservatively.  I mean, not super-conservative "don't ever watch anything that so much as shows a boob!" but in a "there is an age at which this is appropriate, and when you reach that age you may watch it" sort of way.  Certain plots require a certain amount of sex, nudity, cursing, violence, etc. and when well chosen/directed/arranged/done, no problem.

However, there comes a point when a show or movie or whatever shifts over to "OK, now we're losing the plot in favor of just showing people naked" (or gratuitous, overdone violence; cussing every other word; whatever).  While I appreciate that sex is a driving force in this storyline... there have been a few times when I've thought, "couldn't they have said this with just as much impact... with clothes? Or at least without showing quite so much skin?"

And, I'd really hate to get to a point where I feel that the sex/nudity is getting in the way of an otherwise good show, and that I don't want to watch it anymore. 

White roses

• Mechanic
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2012, 09:23:39 pm »
I agree, if its part of the story then i'm okay with the nudity, sex scenes etc but if its just to get the ratings up and to keep peoples attention away from the fact that the story line is weak i 'll pass.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2019, 07:49:23 pm »
https://entertainment.ie/tv/tv-news/game-of-thrones-monty-python-mash-up-401553/
#1 best response stolen from a friend on Facebook:

"Can’t wait for tomorrow’s episode when Jon has to fetch a shrubbery."

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #134 on: May 15, 2019, 07:06:53 am »
 LOL