Author Topic: Will there ever be a Mercy Thompson movie?  (Read 50487 times)

EagleWA1

Re: Possible movie?
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2009, 11:38:40 am »
I would love to see the series in movie form, as long as they actually keep it true to the books.  Also, keep it in the Tri-Cities.  Those of us from the Tri-cities, which I am, will definately be able to tell the difference, and the setting alone adds to it.

Lamb

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2009, 11:32:20 pm »
Has any recent news about a possible movie come up anywhere?  I was not able to come across any information about it this year.

primalSCREAM

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2009, 08:03:11 am »
If you were to do a movie about Mercy, I think that Steven Strait would make a good Were. Saw him in The Covenant, and 10,000 bc...he's good looking and a good actor. Also it would be great to somewhat follow the books (as you may have heard I'm kind of anal about this..LOL) , and to have the great costumes and scenery like the HP movies. I hope Patty has lots of input and doesn't comprimise a great series of books just for a movie deal.

Fairyland92

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2009, 11:02:31 am »
The only thing I'm worried about are the characters. If there will be a movie they NEED to get the characters right or it just won't be the same. I went over this with my self a couple of times thinking who would be a good actress for Mercy but no one I've seen is perfect. Since Mercy is supposed to be part Indian, they can just put a white girl and name her Mercy, that's just wrong.  :P
"You try to move trees when a wiser man would go around them."

I've been love struck by Charles. ♥.♥

twobatfans

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2009, 01:02:06 pm »
Patty mentioned at one of her signing that she had insisted that a Native American woman be cast as Mercy.

Midangel

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
    • The Book Pushers
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2009, 03:05:12 pm »
With movies, the only set where they have stayed true to form is the Harry Potter series.

If they ever do a Mercy one, then I hope they will indeed go by the characters in the books.

Fairyland92

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2009, 05:20:29 pm »
I read in an interview that the director who directed
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is the same director
that Patricia signed the contract for.
So If there was a movie involving
Mercy and her adventures it would most probably
be true to the book.

LOL
"You try to move trees when a wiser man would go around them."

I've been love struck by Charles. ♥.♥

MomaMia

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2009, 06:11:03 pm »
Hey does anyone have an update on that movie contract? Geez I wish there was something us fans could do to convince the big wigs to make the movie beside buying the books...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2009, 08:31:29 pm »
Not that we've heard do far.  Mr. Mike will let us know when they hear.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Aaron25

• Tool Wrangler
Moon called movie or tv show.
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2009, 10:28:53 pm »
Does anyone know if it has been optioned for a movie or tv show is so please let me know.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Re: Moon called movie or tv show.
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2009, 10:42:50 pm »
Hi Aaron,

You can find the current info about a possible movie set in the Mercy'verse here in the FAQ.

Movie Options
Hurog Means Dragon.

Lord_Raken

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2010, 08:52:38 am »
I would love to see a Mercy Thompson movie, but my support come with cautionary advice.

I have seen too many good books be butchered in movie form. (Need I mention the Eragon movie? *shudders*)
Before a book becomes a movie one HAS to be absolutely sure that they have what then need to do the book justice. The budget needs to be adequate, the team needs to be creative and willing to work closely with the author, and the studio needs to be VERY supportive.

SciFi/Fantasy movies tend to require lager budget than other movies (CGI costs)... you don't want to have to cut corners because the budget is inadequate.

Also, the script needs to remain faithful too core spirit of the book without giving into the desire to become a exposition of fandome (see Twilight movie). A movie is not a book and changes will need to be made to make it work. This part is tricky what do you take out and leave in? What do you combine? What new parts are necessary.  I think Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince did a fairly good job of this (barring some unnecessary actions sequences).

When making a move from a book you also gain the visual medium as a way to communicate with the audience, but you also lose the inner thoughts and monologue (monologues are best used rarely in movies). Instead of the protagonist telling the the audience what he/she feels or thinks the protagonist has to show it in their emotions, actions, or dialogue. This is both a liberation and a limitation. Instead of having reflective monologues a character might have to talk to another about it, do a flashback (avoid unless done right), or somehow demonstrate their thoughts. Some of the descriptive duologue can be removed, a character does not have to comment on the characteristics of a character if the audience has seen those characteristics in action.

Of course this is only my opinion and I'm not the most qualified person to give advice in this area.

But please... if it doesn't feel right.... don't do it. No movie is better than a bad movie.

boogieshoes

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2010, 02:33:26 pm »
so.... i was waltzing around IMDB today on a lark, and thought that i'd check here, too.  anyone heard anything recently about a potential mercy-verse movie?

like i said, just curious about any news.

-bs

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2010, 09:54:48 pm »
Nothing definite, although they ARE actually moving on it.  They've put together a proposal, attached a script writer, and are talking to several movie studios about producing it.  They're apparently looking at possibly doing a series of moderately-priced movies, and they've got several studios interested in hearing more.  This is still a long way from production, but it's not longer sitting forgotten on the shelf either.   I'll let you know what I can when/if there are contracts signed.   :)
Where's my super-suit?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2010, 10:47:22 pm »
Exciting!  (Hi, Boogieshoes, long time no see!)
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.