Author Topic: Will there ever be a Mercy Thompson movie?  (Read 48499 times)

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
Will there ever be a Mercy Thompson movie?
« on: December 07, 2008, 10:40:12 pm »
Quote from: lhasser
I noticed on Amazon, a user by the name of CarlyEdwards, mentions that Moon Called has been optioned for a movie deal. I would absolutely love it if these books were made into movies (hopefully with the omnipresent eyes of Patty) -- but this is the first and only I have seen or heard of it being a possibility. I realize some things have to be kept hush-hush... No cart before the horse... But, is it true? Yes? No? Maybe so?

Myth confirmed.  I put something up on the home page at Hurog.com a few weeks ago, it should be visible on the "News Archive" tab now.  The Mercy Thompson books have all been optioned to 50 Cannon Entertainment.  Frankly, the contract was rendered obscenely complex by the existence of the "Alpha and Omega" series, and it took a long while to get it all sorted out.

So, the real question is whether or not the option will ever be exercised.  I would LOVE to see a Mercy Thompson Movie, but the ball is in the producer's court now.  Because the contract was such a pain to negotiate, I'd like to think they're serious about going ahead and making a movie, but that may just be wishful thinking.

Anyway, you're correct that a movie OPTION was signed, but there's a lot more options signed than movies produced, so we'll just have to wait and see.   ;D

« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 09:19:31 am by Elle »
Where's my super-suit?

Letitia

• Mechanic
Re: Possible movie?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 06:06:53 am »
Ah, note to self: Check the News page. Thanks for answering anyway! That is very exciting news to hear - especially since it includes all the Mercy books. I would imagine they would be a complex series to adapt... I hope they are serious about it too! And, even more, I hope they take the time to do it right:)
..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-        "MS. THOMPSON, it said in heavy block letters, PLEASE KEEP YOUR FELINE OFF MY PROPERTY. IF I SEE IT AGAIN, I WILL EAT IT."
    ¸.·´   .·´¨¨))     Adam Hauptman, Moon Called
  ((¸¸.·´  ¸.·´ -:¦:-                                               -:¦:-

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 01:48:26 pm »
thats sooooo awesome!!!!   i'm definitely keeping an eye onthe wheather horizon for this one ;)

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 10:55:32 pm »
What Mike said.  And this is actually a fairly serious contract -- more than the usual "option" agreement.  It doesn't mean the movie will be made.  It does mean that 50 Cannon, my terrific literary agent (Linn Prentis), her film& TV agent Bill Conti, and our very expensive (and worth it) NYC Hollywood contract lawyer spent months trying to work out how to give 50 Cannon the rights to the Mercy series without locking down the Anna and Charles series.  I have what Linn calls possibly the most complicated contract in Hollywood.  So we're all serious at this point <grin>
Patty

Letitia

• Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 10:22:26 am »
That is still very exciting news! I think it bodes well that they went through such tough negotiations. Does it mean that 50 Cannon will produce or do companies "sublet" movie rights?
..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-        "MS. THOMPSON, it said in heavy block letters, PLEASE KEEP YOUR FELINE OFF MY PROPERTY. IF I SEE IT AGAIN, I WILL EAT IT."

Gabriel

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 11:27:55 am »
Does anyone want to see this series as a movie series?

Letitia

• Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 12:08:14 pm »
Yes, of course. This is a wonderfully imaginative series and I love the characters and stories. There is a post already about the prospect of the books becoming movies... And I'm not sure this falls under the category of "Ask Patty".

danie_SF

• Tool Wrangler
  • This was in my local Scottish pub in Paris
    • This is my myspace URL
Mercy TV show
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 03:14:10 pm »
Hi, I'm sure this has probably been discussed before, but I think that the Mercy Thompson series would make a great TV show. Kinda like buffy, but way cooler. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

alan

Re: Mercy TV show
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 05:04:28 pm »
id watch that
not sure how they'd keep to the books if they would at all but id watch to see how that went

danie_SF

• Tool Wrangler
    • This is my myspace URL
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 05:41:42 pm »
I think that if they made each show just 1/2 hour, they could make the first book stretch a whole season

alan

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 01:47:40 pm »
true,.. hmm, i didn't think of that, but then id be driven mad by the shows being so sort! ahh im doomed!!

danie_SF

• Tool Wrangler
    • This is my myspace URL
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 02:13:58 pm »
true, but then we'd get Mercy on a weekly basis and not once a year.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 02:22:33 pm »
Patty signed a deal for a movie recently- I think it was originally going to be a tv series but the producers decided to go the movie route. And with the success of Twilight and True Blood - I think there might be a good chance that it will be greenlit.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

alan

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 02:26:10 pm »
YES!!!!! that's what i want to hear!!!!! YES!!!!

danie_SF

• Tool Wrangler
    • This is my myspace URL
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 02:30:55 pm »
But with a movie, wouldn't they have to cut a lot of material to fit the two hour time frame? Unless they do a series like Potter