Author Topic: J. K. Rowling  (Read 31277 times)

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
Re: J. K. Rowling
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2007, 10:43:32 pm »
no

There is no place like /~

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 07:29:04 am »
no
   Way to debate. :/  Might want to add a few more words to that, clarify your position and such. 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 09:28:00 am »
fluff annoy fluff make wait longer to get to the climax of the book fluff is not needed

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 09:45:38 am »
fluff brings suspense.... and in my most humble *cough* opinion I think the little details most people think of as fluff add to the story.... sometimes if you pay attention "fluff" gives you clues about more important issues. And as for the movie, I thought that the fifth was the best so far.... sure it wasn't as actiony and stuff, but I think it showed the characters..er... character better than any of the others. I was really sorry that they didn't have more Tonks though... :'(. Well anyway, that's my opinion, and when I am writing something, sometimes I need a little fluff so I don't get.... to bogged down.
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 09:57:15 am »
little detials are not fluff it is all the sidetracks and useless side quests

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2007, 11:19:14 am »
Ahhh.... but even those have a purpose.... they help establish characters, though you are right.... Rowling has a bunch of fluff... not that I particularly mind.
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 08:03:51 am »
mmhm

Mandy

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2007, 12:32:39 pm »
no

haha. Well I think, regardless of the fluff, the HP series is probably one of the most read series ever. Way to get kids excited to read!

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2007, 01:13:23 pm »
Yeah... I know several people who after reading HP are now devouring books, I just wish my eldest brother would pick up on it... he refuses to pick up any book...  :-\

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2007, 02:29:39 pm »
My sister used to be like that, turns out she had ADD, and (I think anyway) a touch of dyslexia.  For some reason she wound up getting hooked on Animal Farm though, and couldn't put it down.  I'd say keep encouraging him to try reading something, sometimes you just have to hit on the right book.
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 10:46:41 am »
I read this series along with my son who was 10-11 when we first started reading.  I liked that the complexity, especially at first, seemed to keep up with my son's ability to understand it.  The reading level remains well within the original audience, but each demands more of the reader.  The kids grow up.  Their perceptions of the adults in the series develops as well as the characters themselves.  Good work.

And yes I really got into the books for myself.  I'm going to have to get a second set when my son moves out.

But I would like to comment on the fluff comment.  One of the things that drove me nutty in 3,4 &5 was the recaps of what went before.  I was looking for a red pen a lot for that stuff.  A spoiler you might like is that 7 has very little of that.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 12:32:36 pm »
Yeah, and My darling brother ( the eldest in that he is older than the other one, not me  ;D) has Major ADD and ADHD.... and I find it funny that your sis picked it up with Animal Farm of all books.... that's almost as bad as my friend who developed his love of reading when he read Lord of the Flies. I'm a little ADD too, and reading has actually helped me... I just wish my Brother would give it a chance, I know he would enjoy it.  :P

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 12:39:26 pm »
Urk, Lord of the Flies...I remember reading that in sixth grade and thinking "Boys are retarded!" ;)  Yeah focusing yourself and just working at it every day does help shore up your weaknesses.  I know I'm far better at retaining numbers in my head than I used to since my job has me doing that all day.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2007, 01:47:41 pm »
I read it in the ninth grade for english and I shudder at the memory..... Needless to say the boys in my class thought it was great.... the rest of us wanted to take the characters and bang their heads together a few times.... But you are right, practice helps, now that I have started playing the penny whistle my ear for pitch, and my music reading skills have improved. (big Alleluia for that one)

jenglows

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2007, 08:53:16 pm »
Love this Series!  I really didn't like the last movie though, Order of the Phenix,  I wonder if the screen writer had actually read the books - or maybe just the topic sentence in a few paragraphs as they flipped through.  I was thinking about starting a seperate spoiler thread about #7 - anyone interested?