Author Topic: J. K. Rowling  (Read 35060 times)

thehuntress

J. K. Rowling
« on: July 20, 2007, 01:39:07 am »
With all the hype coming up to the final instalment of the Harry Potter Septology, I thought that it seemed odd that the Chief Warlock of the Wizarding World be neglected.

Very addictive stuff.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 07:38:39 pm by Mike Briggs »

ksabers

• Grease Monkey
  • Knight Sabers, sanjo!
    • Vento e Fuoco
Re: J. K. Rowling
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 02:52:02 am »
I have bought and read all the Harry Potter books both in English and in Italian language. In my other post I was ranting about terrible translations... here the situation is much better, although less than perfect (in the Italian Wikipedia there is a long enough list of translation errors in HP books).

And JK Rowling writing style is so rich, personal and full of bizarre words that surely she is a nightmare for translators...  ::)

About her books, please please PLEASE remember that not everyone will end reading #7 at one minute past midnight this evening. In other words, if you are going to talk about the seventh book, PLEASE insert a big SPOILER WARNING before it!

I have pre-ordered the Deathly Hallows through Amazon.Uk but I'll receive it only next week. If in the meantime someone will reveal the end to me, I'll kill him/her very slowly and painfully, it's a promise!  ;D

Giorgio
Hi, I am Samus Aran, and you are history!
(ooppss, this was Buffy...)

Visit my image gallery at Renderosity!

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 05:26:10 am »
::Dances:: Rowling decided to give me a birthday gift by releasing the book on my birthday!  ^_^  Bookstores are having a party at midnight for me...Well...I'll be at the party at least, so it should count.  ;) 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 09:49:00 am »
I love this series, but still haven't gotten around to reading Book #6.  I work part-time at my local Barnes & Noble, and two years ago I worked the party the night Half-Blood Prince was released.  I was up in the cafe, emptying trashcans, and this twerpy little idiot got his book, opened it up to the last chapter, and then started shrieking, "I knew it!  I KNEW such and such was going to happen!"  Except he was blurting out details left and right.  Grrrrr.  Anyway, that sort of squashed my momentum in the series, and I just haven't gotten around to reading the 6th book yet.  It's in my storage unit somewhere.  I keep meaning to go did it out.

(And no, I'm not working the party tonight...thank goodness!  But I'll be at cash-wrap bright and early tomorrow.  I expect we'll be a little busy. :D)
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 09:58:40 am »
Oh man, that kid would have gotten a swift slap upside the head from me if I had been near him!  Don't let him ruin the book for ya though, since everything's debatable.  ;)
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Mandy

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 10:14:07 am »
I think it's really embarrassing to America how the NEW YORK TIMES published a reveiw about the last book that included spoilers before it was released to the public. Come on, Rowling even made a comment saying somthing like she was very disappointed that American newspapers would do something like that and ruin it for kids. jeez, thank you very much New York Times :P

AnemicOak

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 08:52:11 am »
I haven't read the NYT review, but from what a dozen or so people have told me it really doesn't have any spoilers.  Not sure about the Baltimore Sun one.

~Brian

amanda

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 03:29:50 pm »
I read Deathly Hallows in 5 hours...without a break! It was really good, there were things I wish were explained more or added to, but all in all a FANTASTIC read ;D And I can't believe who dies...I was heartbroken!

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 08:22:27 pm »
I finished reading it, and all I can say is..."I knew it I knew it!" :does a little dance:

thehuntress

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 08:07:17 pm »
Well, I finished it in about 14 1/2 hrs.  Yeah, slack I know.

Loved it though.  It'll be great when a few more people have read it and I can actually start discussing it properly.

Would now also love to know who it was that was going to die and didn't and who did die who wasn't going to.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 05:23:13 am »
Spoiler: (highlight the area after this)  I'm pretty sure Mr. Weasly was supposed to die, and she just couldn't do it.

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 09:49:11 am »
srry but i think books are mostly just fluff thats why i dont like them

There is no place like /~

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 04:38:56 pm »
Mostly fluff?  Do you mean that the book subject matter is not serious, or that Rowling fills them with useless stuff?  (useless stuff is why I have an undying hatred for The Wheel of Time books, you couldn't drag those out more if you wanted to)

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 08:49:37 pm »
both have useless stuff i saw the fifth movie and that was the worst5 of them all but that is probablhy it was also a bad interpatation of the book

There is no place like /~

thehuntress

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 04:32:31 pm »
I guess that's one of those personal opinion things.  But I started reading the series expecting nothing spectacular - fluff, if you will - which was fine.  But with the twist in the first book (I presume enough people have read/seen the first story that no spoiler warning is necessary) where Snape is in fact not the bad guy - and I was quite happy to believe that at the time - I had to start thinking there was more to the story than I'd first expected.

Okay, so it's not Lord of the Rings epic stuff, but it does generally have a much younger age group it's aiming at.

Besides - you can't always be reading the heavy stuff. 

Bring back the quality fluff!