Author Topic: Patricia Briggs Cover Art Discussion  (Read 217419 times)

Cole

• Grease Monkey
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
Re: Patricia Briggs Cover Art Discussion
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2007, 10:53:18 pm »
even the arm tats change hun

There is no place like /~

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 11:04:27 am »
Alas, my roomy didn't like the Moon Called background (we share *grrrr*) and so I went picture trolling and found a great pic of a coyote instead. hehe. I like like Moon Called's cover for it's back ground, but I like that on Blood Bound and Iron Kissed Mercy looks....more. More experienced, tired, wise, stronger, wary, but like she's a better person for all of it. I do like the body language on both Moon Called and Blood Bound.
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 11:50:47 am »
Cole, why the weird looks?

I must say that if I hadn't have read the Mercy books I may not have bought "Dragon Bones" and "Dragon Blood" because of their covers...so cheesetastic. They remind me of the covers of my Tarzan books. Heh. I'm sooo glad that I looked past the covers because they are definitely my favorite Briggs books. I'm sure that I'm missing so many fantastic fantasy authors because I can't get past the cover.  :P
Hurog Means Dragon.

Cole

• Grease Monkey
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 02:54:06 pm »
Elle you have NOT met some of my friends thats all there is too it.

There is no place like /~

jenglows

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 07:41:57 pm »
I really like Dan Santos's work, his website is fantastic and he art is beautiful. But... I don't like the Mercy book covers.  At least MC and BB made the books look like they were about sex and they are not.  I read a lot around my little kids and I always feel weird about it if the covers are suggestive.  Fielding questions like "I can see that girl's boobies" is not so much fun.  The covers aren’t as provocative as some in the genre, but I'm a little more conservative I guess.  I almost didn't buy Moon Called because of the cover.

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 09:59:47 pm »
Cole, why the weird looks?

I must say that if I hadn't have read the Mercy books I may not have bought "Dragon Bones" and "Dragon Blood" because of their covers...so cheesetastic. They remind me of the covers of my Tarzan books. Heh. I'm sooo glad that I looked past the covers because they are definitely my favorite Briggs books. I'm sure that I'm missing so many fantastic fantasy authors because I can't get past the cover.  :P

If you think those are "cheesetastic" you should see the covers of her earliest work.  They look almost like bodice-rippers, all of the women are half-naked!!  Don't let that stop you from looking for them though, they're all great!

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2007, 04:52:20 am »
If you think those are "cheesetastic" you should see the covers of her earliest work.  They look almost like bodice-rippers, all of the women are half-naked!!  Don't let that stop you from looking for them though, they're all great!

Hey...what's fantasy without half-naked warrior women with the bulging thighs and the bodacious ta-tas?
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Confused

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 01:59:40 am »
I'm a big Luis Roy Fan, so I had to buy "When Demons Walk" and "Steal The Dragon". Since I liked the books so much I bought the Mercy books too. The artwork is good too but I like Royo better, sorry  :P

deva

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2007, 11:52:40 am »
It was the Blood Bound cover that got me into Patricia Briggs in the first place.  It was an ad on some random website, I like it so I clicked it to see what it was.  It lead to an excerpt from the first chapter and I was hooked.  Though I made myself read Moon Called first, Blood Bound was my favorite.  And I like that cover best.  Iron Kissed cover is still growing on me.  It feels like there isn't as much danger and intrigue in that cover as there are in the others.  But I like the logo and want a shirt.   ;)

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2007, 02:14:41 pm »
I really like the covers of the Sookie Stackhouse series.  No half-naked people, no cheesy fantasy background.  I think covers like that fit modern stories very well.

I love those covers too!! And also the covers of the Lily Bard and Harper Connelly series  :) Also Stephenie Meyer's covers are cool, especially the Twilight one: it was half the reasons why I ended up buying it...the other half was the story  ;D
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2007, 09:15:38 am »
I noticed that Mercy's tats on the cover of Blood Bound are bats. And there are wolves on her arms on the cover of Moon Called. And although I can't see it very clearly, the cover of Iron Kissed looks almost Celtic in design and if you step back some, it looks like it could be in the shape of a wolf's head. So, since Moon Called's title, cover art, and topic is wolves and Blood Bound's title, cover art, and topic deals with vampires, I'm guessing that Iron Kissed's title and maybe the cover art are evocative of the topic of the Fae. Certainly they're the group that hasn't yet been covered in detail.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2007, 09:21:01 am »
They show the theme of the book, you'll notice in the book that involved the vampires a lot, there were bat tattoos. 

I just posted this theory in the cover art thread  ::) Well, it's nice to know I wasn't off base!

I like the fact that her tats are different for each book. I like a character graphics to look like the character in the book (you know, have the same hair color and all that :)), but I've discovered that I like this representation of Mercy as accurate, but still abstract. So I'm a big fan of the covers and the tattoos. Although ... I remember when I bought Blood Bound, the immature bleep clerk made a comment about it. Something like "ooh, look at her tattoos! Sexy woman!" in a smarmy tone of voice and then gave me a speculative look. Geez.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Iris101

• Mechanic
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2007, 11:08:28 am »
What tattoos does she have in Iron Kissed?  I cant tell what they are.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2007, 11:36:24 am »
What tattoos does she have in Iron Kissed?  I cant tell what they are.

From what I can tell, her back looks like a stylized wolf's head, with details wrapping 'round her hips. I can't tell anything about the arms, though. They mostly look like a series of bands around her arms.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2007, 07:00:30 pm »
Just a quick repost about DDS' book cover. I had it over in the Merchandise site but it should really be here as well:

Just was over at DDS' site. His "Moon Called" painting just won the Chelsey Award for Best for Best Illustration for a Paperback. Congrats to Dan! Fabulous PR for Moon Called as well. :)
Hurog Means Dragon.