Author Topic: Patricia Briggs Cover Art Discussion  (Read 138715 times)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Patricia Briggs Cover Art Discussion
« on: July 19, 2007, 06:38:57 pm »
Discussion of the pretty.  :)

Yes, I judged the Mercy books by their covers. I'm a horrible, shallow person. Dan Dos Santos is a god. His site has full his full paintings of the Mercy covers. They're just gorgeous.

Mike, I hope to hear your theories about "cover art as science". It is true, just seeing how my collection covers have evolved over the years. It's interesting to track.

Please tell me that Dan is doing covers for the Dragon books.

DDS has also made a wallpaper from his cover of "Moon Called" it's gracing my desktop right now.

ETA: This thread has been expanded to discuss all of Patricia Briggs book covers.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 09:48:25 am by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

ksabers

• Grease Monkey
  • Knight Sabers, sanjo!
    • Vento e Fuoco
Re: Patricia Briggs Cover Art Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 01:09:09 am »
My favourite Mercy cover is the third one, "Iron Kissed".

In "Moon Called", Mercy seems younger than she really is, and I don't like very much her expression. It's clear to see that the artist had to draw her without "knowing" her.
(And I cannot think of a female mechanic who keeps long, loose hair: too dangerous!  ;))

In "Blood Bound" she has her real age, an "adult" expression, and tied hair. When I think of Mercy, this is the image I have in my mind.

In "Iron Kissed", her face is the same as in the second cover (I think that the artist has her well established in his mind by now) and her expression is just a bit harder... after her vampire experiences, it's easy to understand why...  ;D

Giorgio
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 01:17:58 am by ksabers »
Hi, I am Samus Aran, and you are history!
(ooppss, this was Buffy...)

Visit my image gallery at Renderosity!

Readsalot

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 07:47:55 am »
I agree Dan Dos Santos book covers really catch your eye. I like all the covers, but I really liked the car being up on the lift with the bat hanging off of it on Blood Bound. And you have to admit Mercy looked like she meant business with that wretch on her shoulder.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 08:23:38 am by Readsalot »
Readsalot

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night... Sarah Williams

CandyAss

• Mechanic
    • MySpace.com/librasdarkness
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 02:48:44 pm »
I have to say that when I first saw the Iron Kissed cover (on a myspace group site) I didn't really like it... I saw no suspense and no feeling of 'oh no what's gonna happen now??'  But seeing it now, I dunno, Mercy looks weary, like she can't trust whats behind her... I dunno, it's growing on me :)  lol I have to say though my fav cover is probably Moon Called.   
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 03:03:25 pm by CandyAss »
"You're my density... I mean, my Destiny" - George McFly

CandyAss

• Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 02:52:01 pm »
 ???  So we all know that Mercy, in the book, only has the arm tats and the paw print, however on the covers she is sportin different tattoos.  So I was just wanted to start a topic on that.  What do you guys think about the tats being different from cover to cover?

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 03:20:55 pm »
They show the theme of the book, you'll notice in the book that involved the vampires a lot, there were bat tattoos. 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 06:44:17 pm »
I think Moon Called is my favorite cover too, probably because I really like her pawprint tatoo and the dark/silver background.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 08:30:15 pm »
I love all of them, but I'd have to say that Moon Called is my favorite. I love the way she's standing, the attitude, the tatts...just the whole vibe of it. I looked at it and had to have it. Bonus that the story was fantastic. I regretted not buying the second when I bought the first, right about 3am in the morning after I'd read MC straight through and kicked myself for not having BB to start reading it immediately. Lesson learned, buy all Briggs books you see regardless of the cover.
Hurog Means Dragon.

ksabers

• Grease Monkey
  • Knight Sabers, sanjo!
    • Vento e Fuoco
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 01:03:46 am »
The FAQ page of the Hurog site has a good explaination about the "real" tattoos of Mercy and why they are different in each book cover. Great idea by Daniel!

Giorgio
Hi, I am Samus Aran, and you are history!
(ooppss, this was Buffy...)

Visit my image gallery at Renderosity!

CandyAss

• Mechanic
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 07:02:56 pm »
Awesome!  I love the back tat on the Iron Kissed cover.   What's your fav Mercy tat?

RahJigga02

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 07:27:08 am »
So far, I like all the covers.  Mercy's tatts are wonderful.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 09:43:27 am »
I love the idea that they're more an interpretation of the story. I think they look great and they'd suit her character but the few that she does have suit her as well. It'll be interesting to see how they change with each subsequent book. The "Iron Kissed" ones look pretty good.
Hurog Means Dragon.

SF

• Tool Wrangler
  • Lurking in the shadows
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 11:57:48 am »
my first book of hers (dragon blood) i almost didn't get because of the cover, but i love dragons too much not to at least read the back of a book which hooked me and let me know to get dragon bones first lucky i was able to get both :P

I must say I really do love the mercy covers though
"Don't laugh at live dragons" - Bilbo Baggins

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 12:10:25 pm »

DDS has also made a wallpaper from his cover of "Moon Called" it's gracing my desktop right now.

i have it too though i did get weird perverted looks from friends because of it

There is no place like /~

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 04:15:57 pm »
I love her tattoos. Both the "real" ones, and the ones on the book covers. I like the ones on Moon Called best. I did a bigger copy of them on one of my folders for school  :D. I personally think that the coyote pawprint is my favorite tattoo over the rest though...
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...