Author Topic: Peter V. Brett  (Read 13741 times)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Peter V. Brett
« on: January 09, 2009, 11:08:01 am »
I ran across a blurb about his debut book The Warded Man when I was looking at the Mysterious Galaxy book store where Patty is doing a Feb book signing. This book isn't yet released, it comes out in March. Looks really good, I've put in my list.

The book has an alternate UK title The Painted Man and I guess it's already out there? Has been since September if I'm reading it right. A bit confusing. I'm always curious as to why they'd change a title for a different regional market.

The time has come to stand against the night.

As darkness falls each night, the corelings rise–demons who well up from the ground like hellish steam, taking on fearsome form and substance. Sand demons. Wood demons. Wind demons. Flame demons. And gigantic rock demons, the deadliest of all. They possess supernatural strength and powers and burn with a consuming hatred of humanity. For hundreds of years the demons have terrorized the night, slowly culling the human herd that shelters behind magical wards–symbols of power whose origins are lost in myth and mystery, and whose protection is terrifyingly fragile.

It was not always this way. Once, men and women battled the corelings on equal terms. Once, under the leadership of the legendary Deliverer, and armed with powerful wards that were not merely shields but weapons, they took the battle to the demons . . . and stopped their advance.

But those days are gone. The fighting wards are lost. Night by night the demons grow stronger, while human numbers dwindle under their relentless assault.
Now, with hope for the future fading, three young survivors of vicious demon attacks will dare the impossible, stepping beyond the crumbling safety of the wards to risk everything in a desperate quest to regain the secrets of the past.

Arlen will pay any price, embrace any sacrifice, for freedom. His grim journey will take him beyond the bounds of human power.

Crippled by the demons that killed his parents, Rojer seeks solace in music–only to discover that music can be a weapon as well as a refuge.

Beautiful Leesha, who has suffered at the hands of men as well as demons, becomes an expert healer. But what cures can also harm. . . .

Together, they will stand against the night.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 11:19:50 am by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
Re: Peter V. Brett
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 01:17:37 pm »
That looks interesting, Elle.  * dramatic sigh *  Just what I need: more books to desire...  ;)
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 10:45:07 pm »
I couldn't wait for this book so Has hooked me up with great UK book seller, the book depository.com and I ordered it from there. No shipping cost and came in less than a week. Sweet!

I finished this book today. I really enjoyed it a lot. It was incredibly readable...there was great world building and lots of information but in no way did it interfere or bog down the story. This first book spans fourteen years. I'm dying for the next one. I know it will be at least a year for the next one. Gah. So good! Highly recommended.

I'm sending this book to Ellyll and she's sending it to charmed when she's done with it. We have our own mini non-Masques book circle started. :D
Hurog Means Dragon.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 11:56:02 pm »
Now I have to think of a word beginning with M that - ah, Mass.  The Mod Mass, to go with the Masques tours and the EuroPack.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 12:11:07 am »
There's only the three of us so I don't think we need our own thread. :D Such a great book though. I can't wait until they read it so I have someone to discuss it with.
Hurog Means Dragon.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 09:20:51 am »
Mod Mass, hee hee. I like it.

**sits and waitsd impatiently for her turn with teh book**
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 10:43:05 am »
I like Mod Mass, too, Patti.  Although, I'm not a mod, so it might not work.  :D

* joins charmed in impatient book waiting * 

Elle, I'll be posting as soon as I get it and read it, and then we can talk.  :D

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 06:29:02 pm »
Ellyll, the book is winging it's way to you as I type. Enjoy!
Hurog Means Dragon.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 10:20:47 am »
It came, it came!  * scurries off to bury herself in book *

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 11:08:05 am »
The book has an alternate UK title The Painted Man and I guess it's already out there? Has been since September if I'm reading it right. A bit confusing. I'm always curious as to why they'd change a title for a different regional market.
My guess would be that they fear that the Native American society could get it down the wrong throat and decided to change the title preemptively.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 07:56:14 pm »
Hi Gerd, I guess I'm not understanding the reasoning why you think someone would be upset by the title The Painted Man.  :-\ Could you clarify for me? I know I'm missing something.

Just an aside. He's never referred to in the book as the warded man. They do use wards but he's several times called the painted man in the text.  :)
Hurog Means Dragon.

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 03:41:00 am »
It's like the second law of PC'ness:
Everything that poses the perceived potential that anybody could take offense to it has to be changed regardless of facts.

Political Correctness run amok. :P

I guess the title The Painted Man evoked pictures of stark raving natives in full war painting. :D
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 08:27:31 am »
I found an interview with PVB that explains the title change a bit more:

Your first novel is titled The Warded Man in North America and The Painted Man through the rest of the world. The Painted Man is clearly a way cooler title. Why the name change?

The Painted Man was my original title. Del Rey books, who were the first to purchase the manuscript, felt the title wouldn’t play well with American audiences. I sent them a large list of alternate titles, but they had not made a final decision by the time Voyager in the UK was ready to go into production. My editor at Voyager asked if it would be all right to use my original title, and I agreed happily, as I had always liked it best.

Having the title change between markets was a little frustrating, mainly because I was afraid that any positive buzz from one market wouldn’t carry as easily to the other, and that some person might buy both versions thinking they were two different books. Neither seems to have turned out to be the case, though. Perhaps because I have been very diligent on the web about using both names and pointing out that they are the same book.

Interesting but I wonder the reasoning behind Del Rey thinking The Warded Man would fly better.

Next book is The Desert Spear "fall in the UK, and December here in the US"
Last of the trilogy is The Daylight War.

Hurog Means Dragon.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 08:30:57 am »
You know, the first Harry Potter book had different titles in the UK and in the US (one was HP and the Sorceror's Stone, the other HP and the Philosopher's Stone).  It could be that they thought the Warded Man sounded a bit more fantastical/magical than the Painted Man.  It's an interesting question.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 12:16:22 pm »
I passed the book on to charmed yesterday.  :)  After ConBust (happy, happy days).  Elle, Patty had lovely things to say about you.  She really appreciates all the great things you do for her; it was really sweet.  (Just thought I'd mention.)

And I have to second the enthusiastic recommendation.  It's a great story, and an original premise, and I can't wait to see what happens next.  There's a whole lot of possibilities out there.