Author Topic: Old snowshoes.  (Read 4020 times)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Old snowshoes.
« on: December 21, 2008, 09:24:43 pm »
Beavertails and bearclaws?

I never would have thought the evolution of the snowshoe would have had animal parts in the lineup, but reading it makes it seem perfectly logical. Any other weird and wonderful things you ran across in the research for Cry Wolf?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 08:43:15 pm by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
Re: Old snowshoes.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 02:48:06 pm »
I have a pair of bearclaws in Apt. with rawhide lashings.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
Re: Old snowshoes.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 11:11:52 pm »
Actually Mike did a lot of running around on old snowshoes in his younger days <grin>.  When I asked him the best way to run around the Cabinets in the winter -- snowshoes was the answer (snowmobiles being forbidden, the snow is Very deep, and it is too steep to cross country ski).  We were both happy when it turned out that in the last twenty years, snowshoes have come A Long way.  The snowshoes I have (and ran around in -- since they were unexpectedly useful for feeding horses after a heavy snowfall) are much easier to run around in.

The old snowshoes still look cooler -- Mike's folks have the ones he used to use up on the walls as decoration.

Freeze dried food is not that bad -- except that the ice cream is still as weird as I remember it being.  Weird and oddly addicting.

Be careful when eating freeze-dried fruit without rehydrating it.  The fruit will rehydrate in your stomach.  And that bag of peach halves that you ate will take up the same room as if you had eaten a dozen or so peaches.  Not so good <grin>.   (Something that happened to a friend of Mike's -- not a research thing, but fun).
Patty