Author Topic: LGBTQ?  (Read 15108 times)

wizardbear

• Mechanic
Re: LGBTQ?
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2011, 08:45:58 am »
Lois McMaster Bujold has a book featuring a planet of men only. "Ethan of Athos"

Venus Plus X is a science fiction novel written by Theodore Sturgeon, featuring a single-sex, androgynous human race.

John Varley has a fictional universe with quick, easy sex-change - the novel "Steel Beach" has the  main character go from man to woman. His "Eight Worlds" series features a ficitonal universe in which instant sex changes are considered a matter of fashion, rather than gender-identity, and many long-standing human sexual taboos no longer exist.

The Wanting Seed is a dystopian novel by the English author Anthony Burgess. There is active discrimination against heterosexuals, homosexuality being encouraged as a measure against overpopulation.

Haldeman's "Forver War" uses the same theme. To control population hetro has been nearly stamped out on Earth.

Joanna Russ's The Female Man (1975) and the award winning story "When It Changed", showing a female-only lesbian society that flourished without men.

James Tiptree Jr.'s award-winning "Houston, Houston, Do You Read?", which presents a female-only society after the extinction of men from disease.

Ursula K. Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness (1969) depicts trans-species sexuality, in which individuals are neither "male" nor "female" but can have both male and female sexual organs and reproductive abilities, making them in some senses bisexual.

Elizabeth Lynn is an openly lesbian science fiction and fantasy writer who has written numerous works featuring positive gay protagonists.Her Chronicles of Tornor novels (1979–80), the first of which won the World Fantasy Award, were among the first fantasy novels to have gay relationships as an unremarkable part of the cultural background, and included explicit and sympathetic depictions of same-sex love.

There is a Wiki page on this topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaylactic_Spectrum_Award_winners_and_nominees_for_best_novel#Hall_of_Fame_novels

Janilee

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2011, 11:07:56 am »
Melissa Scott would fit in this line.  :D

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2011, 11:33:07 am »
Yes, she does.  I actually mentioned her, as did some others, back at the beginning of this thread.  ;D
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Janilee

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2011, 11:36:42 am »
 :-[ That's what I get for not going back to look!

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2011, 11:40:08 am »
Actually, it's worth going back.  Staplegun put up a list that you might want to check out.  :)
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
*witty placeholder here*

wolvin.mm

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
    • My blog (in Dutch)
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2015, 11:53:31 pm »
Not our usual genre, but I thought of it because of Patti's post.
http://www.feel-good-families.com/
Children's book about a Dutch gay couple adopting a girl from the US. Written by one of the daddies, I know them from church.

pondhawk

• Pack Member
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2015, 05:19:22 am »
You know, here in the US we hear all the time about Americans adopting kids from other countries. This is the first time I've ever heard about someone from another country adopting American kids. The joy on that child's face is priceless. And it was interesting to note the approving blurb from Isaiah Washington.

pondhawk

• Pack Member
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2015, 07:36:30 am »
I went through the thread and was surprised that no one mentioned Sara Monette's series that starts with The Virtu. The main character is gay, with a constellation of sexual orientations in the supporting characters.

Also, in historical fiction, Mary Renault was lesbian, and wrote of - as one of my Catholic high school classmates said in a hushed voice - "the time in Greece when a man could love another man!" Those books are set in a period and culture when bisexuality was the norm. I didn't really pay a lot of attention to it, as there is no explicit sex, and the stories are great reads on their own.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:42:05 am by pondhawk »

Varg

• Senior Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2015, 07:44:02 am »
Huh?! Nobody mentioned those? Strange.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

pondhawk

• Pack Member
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2015, 07:48:05 am »
IKR? Most of Renault's have fictional main characters interacting with real historical figures. In her Alexander the Great trilogy, almost all the characters are real. And there are a few with possibly real mythological heroes.

mellinatre

• Mechanic
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2015, 11:03:01 am »
We have our own publishers that have only LGBT books, I being lesbian read mostly lesbian books so I know more lesbian publishers here some links if you are interested

and good for me that there are very good paranormals, because that is my fav genre also if in reality I read everything

all this sites contains books wrote by homosexual authors and have in it homosexual protagonists

http://www.bellabooks.com

http://www.boldstrokesbooks.com

http://www.regalcrest.biz/index.php

http://www.ylva-publishing.com/books/

http://www.lgbtbookshop.com

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2017, 05:59:21 pm »
http://riptidepublishing.com/titles/twice-in-a-lifetime
 When widow Talia Wasserman applies for a job with the local police department, she’s shocked to discover she’ll be working for Lieutenant Eve Poe, an officer she’d met—and been attracted to—during a long-ago citizen’s police academy workshop. Fifteen years later, the spark is still there, and no one’s currently in Talia’s life or in her bed. But there’s just one teeny, tiny problem. Eve is her boss, so she’s completely off-limits.

Eve feels a sizzling connection with Talia from the very first, but Talia works for her, and that’s just a bad idea. Besides, Eve needs to focus on the person sending disturbing emails to her office, and not on the woman who quickly makes herself invaluable to the department. It’s too bad her heart doesn’t agree with her.

Then Eve is badly injured in the line of duty, and Talia’s worst fears are realized. She may lose her chance at happiness with the woman she’s come to love, and she can’t survive that kind of loss twice in a lifetime.
*witty placeholder here*

Rob

• lovebird
  • Mechanic
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2017, 05:32:57 pm »
Bridget Essex  - I've read and enjoyed "A Knight to Remember" & "Date Knight", but her other works have lesbian leads.

Alexis Hall - I've read and love his Kate Kane books (paranormal detective), with the lead character being a lesbian.  His other works seem to all have gay leads, but they none of those have paranormal/supernatural elements, so I haven't looked at them.

Erik Schubach - His books could do with professional editing, but he tells a good story and he has a large body of work that ranges from pure romance to fantasy to sci-fi - all of them with lesbian leads.
Proud member of the Maulers Union Local #182.

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • Not quite love
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2017, 10:29:11 am »
Bridget Essex  - I've read and enjoyed "A Knight to Remember" & "Date Knight", but her other works have lesbian leads.

Just checked out her her Amazon page after seeing her mentioned in a post by Niamh Murphy, she does a lot of Werewolf stuff from the looks of it. :-LOVE
“I can only speak for myself,” I said. “But there are none that I have ever loved who I no longer love.”
- Sam