Author Topic: LGBTQ?  (Read 28072 times)

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
Re: LGBTQ?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 12:47:45 pm »
Well, it always worked so well for Jaxom...  :P

um, on topic... Jaxom is not gay.

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 12:56:43 pm »
Heck no, but there was that moment when he expected Ruth to rise for the green.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 09:54:56 pm »
That's so true about Todd McCaffrey. And on topic... that's one of the best things about rping pern, you have have a bi/gay character and there will still be plenty of chances for romance for that character. Almost any other rp I've been in had been almost strictly streight.

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 04:15:04 am »
What, no Goblin gayness +10 skills in D&D?
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 06:56:51 pm »
Can we make a distinction here between gay and lesbian fiction and fiction written by someone who also happens to be gay or lesbian? I'm thinking of Wen Spencer who does not write lesbian fiction but has some lesbian characters who happen to be lesbians but that fact doesn't drive the plot per se. In her series about Ukiah Oregon, Ukiah's adoptive mothers are lesbians but I never thought of that as being nearly important as the fact that they were human asn he was...well something else.

Ben, are you wanting a section for Gay/Lesbian authors and wanting to put Wen Spencer in it? Or were you just pointing out that the Ukiah series has some lesbian characters in it and that it should be added to the "non-main" list as well as adding a gay/lesbian authors list? Sorry if that was confusing, but to (kinda) clarify: was your paragraph one though or two?

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 10:03:13 am »
And on top of that...I kinda feel like A Brother's Price by Wen Spencer should go in here somewhere. But I'm not sure where...any suggestions?

Nozomi

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 03:20:39 pm »
I've read plenty of books that mention LGBTQ characters, but they aren't the main protagonists. I do want to read this book about a T called Luna by Julie Anne Peters.
--Nozomi.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 04:02:39 pm »
The God Eaters by Jesse Hajicek Is a fantasy novel with gay protagonists.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 04:42:25 pm »
Ukiah Oregon's older brother is in a gay relationship, in that Wen Spencer series.
Oh, and Daja had one in "The Will of the Empress" by Tamora Pierce.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 05:05:10 pm »
Kel's maid and her friend were also gay and they were both lovers. I remember Tamora mentioning that in a post on her old message board, if you reread the series again you can see hints but its not overt.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 05:11:27 pm »
It sure isn't; it hadn't occurred to me.  Poor Lalasa; that and men pawing her all the time.
Kel was very accepting of the idea; I remember when Joren & co were harassing her in the stables and she had the talk about it with Neal.  And there was the fellow at Haven who stole off to meet his male lover, before the Scanrans attacked the camp.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 05:15:26 pm »
Ukiah Oregon's older brother is in a gay relationship, in that Wen Spencer series.
Why, yes he is! I hadn't really thought about that at all. Strange.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2009, 05:20:40 pm »
It sure isn't; it hadn't occurred to me.  Poor Lalasa; that and men pawing her all the time.
Kel was very accepting of the idea; I remember when Joren & co were harassing her in the stables and she had the talk about it with Neal.  And there was the fellow at Haven who stole off to meet his male lover, before the Scanrans attacked the camp.
Yep!
I forgot to say that in Elizabeth Vaughan's Warprize trilogy- Keir's right hand man Marcus is gay and his lover is a another warlord - its pretty sad because of Marcus' scars and his culture (other firelanders regard him as broken and not whole because he has lost one of his eyes and ear) He feels that he isnt worthy and breaks his bond with Liam.
I hope Elizabeth Vaughan goes back to write about this series. I felt that there was more to this story and I am hopeful Marcus and Liam can work things out.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

ladylynx

• Mechanic
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 06:58:02 pm »
I always wonder if having a lesbian or gay character as the main character of a book helps or hurts the story. Cause in some people's minds they can't relate or don't want to relate to the main character.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 07:08:40 pm »
I think it depends on the story.