Author Topic: Catherine Asaro  (Read 5757 times)

Staplegun

• Mechanic
Catherine Asaro
« on: November 30, 2008, 12:33:55 am »
Books!
The Charmed Sphere
The Misted Cliffs
The Dawn Star
The Fire Opal
The Night Bird

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alpha
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Schism
Moon's Shadow
The Quantum Rose
Catch the Lightening

*I left out quite a few that I haven't read yet

Okay, the first series listed is the Lost Continent series. It is fantasy about a world where there are mages whose power is determined by the colors they can use and the shapes they can use them through. They have a pretty strong romantic element too.

Alpha's just kinda interesting. It's about this android chick and some super-criminal who keeps making copies of himself and this general trying to stop him. I picked it up one day because I liked the Lost Continent series. I'm glad I did because it led me also to her sci-fi series...

The third group of books listed would be part of her sci-fi series. They are primarily about this family who are Ruby psions (think super-psychic) and are therefore nobles in the Skolian empire. Each story tells part of one of the family members' lives. They are interconnected but don't have to be read in order. (Some may ruin the surprise of others if you read them out of order though :/)

mystify

• Mechanic
Re: Catherine Asaro
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 05:17:49 pm »
I picked up The Misted Cliffs about a month ago at a library book sale. I haven't read it yet. I didn't realize it was number 2 in a series. Do they need to be read in order?
The only book I have read from her is The Veiled Web and it was ok. Ok enough that I was willing to give her another try which is why I picked the other book up at the book sale. :)

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 05:58:17 pm »
They don't *have* to be read in order. She puts a good bit of back-story to it in the book itself, but The Misted Cliffs is about the children of some of the characters in The Charmed Sphere. Some of the politics and background from The Charmed Sphere leaks into The Misted Cliffs so you might want to check out the first one at some point. Pretty much all the books in that series relate back to the first book in some way or another. :/

(To be honest, I didn't like The Charmed Sphere as much as I liked The Misted Cliffs. You can find a shorter (but less complete) version in the anthology Charmed Destinies. I'm pretty sure she wrote it to be a short story, but people liked it so she turned it into a book and then a series. That anthology is the reason I started reading her.)

Hurrah anthologies!

Linnea

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 09:38:14 pm »
I read The Charmed Sphere and The Misted Cliffs.  I liked the first book, but didn't care for the second.  I'm not really into stories with cold hard men.  I'm more for the lamb love!   :-*   ;)

~Linnea

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 10:08:14 pm »
To each her own.

You might try The Dawn Star the next book. It's about Drummer (he's not really a cold, hard, man :P); however, it does continue Mel's story, so if you don't want to read about her any more, I would suggest not reading it. :) But otherwise yes ^^

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 01:46:50 pm »
I liked her Skolian empire books. I think Asaro was one of the - if not the - first to do a true scifi/romance merge. Most of the other books prior to this series were romance authors trying to write science fiction, but she really managed to do both well.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 09:56:02 pm »
Reviving an old topic :o

Just found out that Luna hasn't contracted C. Asaro to write any more Lost Continent books. Super sad right now. :(That was probably my favorite Luna series.