Author Topic: Holly Lisle  (Read 4470 times)

Staplegun

• Mechanic
Holly Lisle
« on: November 29, 2008, 11:06:25 pm »
Books(That I've read of hers)
Talyn
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Memory of Fire
The Wreck of Heaven
Gods Old and Dark

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vincalis the Agitator*
Diplomacy of Wolves
Vengeance of Dragons
Courage of Falcons

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fire in the Mist
Bones of the Past
Mind of the Magic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Minerva Wakes
Hunting the Corrigan's Blood
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sympathy for the Devil
The Devil & Dan Cooley
Hell on High**

*Set in the same world but at a different time. Does not necessarily have to be read first or last or in any order with the other three (which are a trilogy)
**I haven't read these, but they are in a series that I have read one book of

I've enjoyed every book I've ever read by her...except Minerva Wakes and that's only because I haven't really read it yet...it's just been sitting in the back of my bookshelf for a couple years Oo. I should probably get on that. ;P

I don't think I can really pick a series of hers that I like the best. They all have something really cool or awesome about them. I do have to say that the Diplomacy of Wolves trilogy is the most worn of hers that I have...and I bought them new.

The "Devil" series are probably the most urban of hers if you prefer urban fantasies. The others are more or less traditional fantasies.

Talyn is very very interesting, but I'm not sure if I could read it again.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Re: Holly Lisle
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 08:32:25 am »
I've Talyn and a few of her paranormal romances - I think I agree about your feelings about Talyn.

Note: For a few years I thought Holly Lisle was S.L Viehl and had the other pennames. But it is totally wrong and it was only recently I found out and I forgot to make a note on this on this thread. Holly Lisle has only written under this penname. Apologies for any misleading mistakes!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:05:20 am by Has »
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 11:33:55 am »
Would her stuff be classified as paranormal romance or paranormal fantasy, or what? Kind of curious, as she's not one I've heard of.

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 12:11:40 pm »
Note: My mistake below is not Holly's books - but its a separate author but I highly rec her anyway!

S.L Viehl- is mainly for her StarDoc series
Holly Lisle is for fantasy and paranormal romance
Lynn Viehl is for urban fantasy - vampire series.

Whats good - each series has its own voice and tone so its definitely something different :D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:07:12 am by Has »
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 01:09:33 pm »
huh, good to know. Thanks, Has. As usual, you've contributed to my Amazon wish list. :D

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 02:51:31 pm »
Holly Lisle- is pretty broad- she basically writes in most genres but she uses sever pseudonyms,

Whats good - each series has its own voice and tone so its definitely something different :D

huh...I knew S.L. and Lynn were the same person, but I didn't know that Holly Lisle was them as well...I'd never heard that.

Guess you do learn something new every day. ^^

wizardbear

• Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 07:53:21 am »
Holly Lisle- is pretty broad- she basically writes in most genres but she uses sever pseudonyms,

huh...I knew S.L. and Lynn were the same person, but I didn't know that Holly Lisle was them as well...I'd never heard that.

Guess you do learn something new every day. ^^

Here's a bit more:

"Sheila Kelly is an American writer. She writes mostly novels in a variety of genres and under several pseudonyms. Among them are science fiction (as S. L. Viehl), romantic fiction (as Lynn Viehl, Gena Hale, and Jessica Hall), and Christian fiction (as Rebecca Kelly)."

more information available here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._L._Viehl

also a blog here:

http://pbackwriter.blogspot.com/

some of her works are available for free download here:

http://pbackwriter.blogspot.com/p/freebies.html

and here:

http://www.baen.com/library/hlisle.htm

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 07:10:03 am »
I made a mistake that Holly wrote those books under those pennames but its totally wrong. I forgot to update this thread when I was corrected a few months back but def rec S.L Viehl etc.. as well!