Author Topic: Patrick Pothfuss & Heifer international  (Read 3398 times)

Talisman Maker

• Tool Wrangler
Patrick Pothfuss & Heifer international
« on: November 19, 2008, 04:27:16 am »
1st off, I am in no way affiliated with Patrick Rothfuss in any way.  I just really like his book The name of the wind, and have been reading his blog for a little while.

He is having a donation contest in which he will match all donations to the dollar if you donate through his link to Heifer international.  He has a LOT of prizes that he is giving away, signed copies of his in print book, signed copies of his to be released book, maps, etc etc.  Anyway, he is also collecting things from other scifi/fantasy authors.  He has a few books so far in the mix but I'm sure he could always use more.  I was just wondering if you had any copies of any of your books (mercy's world or not) that you might want to sign and  donate.  His information is here  http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/blog/2008/11/heifer-international-details.html.  Even if you just want to donate, I'm sure he would love to get some help from other authors in the field. 

He's raised over $15000 already in a little over a week (and that's not counting his matching funds).  Even if you didn't want to donate to his, imagine how much money you could donate to a similar cause just by asking?  I mean, he's only published one book so far, you've published over a dozen!  Imagine the larger fan base that you would have compared to his. 

Thanks for listening, I'll get off my soapbox now.

(by the way, this is the first time I donated to Heifer intl.  MY pet project is Operation Migration - reintroducing Whooping cranes to a new migration route).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 10:27:32 pm by Elle »
Negativity is not healthy.  Eat some Phish Food and smile!

dkusnetzky

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Patrick Pothfuss & Heifer international
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 01:24:28 pm »
We've often used donations to Heifer International as gifts to friends who would appreciate the thought. I was impressed by what they're doing when I read their newsletter. I really enjoyed the idea of being able to give a family a livelihood for a few dollars.
Dan K in ROC

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
Re: Patrick Pothfuss & Heifer international
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 08:33:05 pm »
I'm going to go ahead and answer this one for Patty, because she wasn't sure how to respond without offending anyone.  We donate fairly generously to various charities, but always anonymously.  Other than occasionally giving some shirts or books to a convention to raffle off, we don't advertise our donations, or donate materials that would (for lack of a better word) implicate us.   

This is a part of our lives we don't share with the public, so I'm going to ask, as politely as possible, if we can just consider this topic closed.  Thanks for your understanding.   :)

By the way, it's not that I have ANYTHING against Heifer International, it sounds like a fabulous charity, and I'm glad you told us about it.
Where's my super-suit?