Author Topic: Kristin Cashore  (Read 13710 times)

Taphien

• Grease Monkey
Kristin Cashore
« on: November 19, 2008, 02:10:10 am »
One of the best first novels I read in a while in Kristin Cashore's Graceling - the "coming of age story" of Katsa, a girl with a magically enhanced skill. Her "grace" enables her to successfully fight and kill grown men and so she gets exploited by her uncle, King Randa, as enforcer of his will.

In the beginning of the story Katsa is just starting to detach herself from her uncles influence when she meets Prince Po, another graceling with a fighting grace. With his help she manages to escape her uncle and together they go on a quest to rescue one of Po's relatives...

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Re: Kristin Cashore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 10:12:58 am »
This caught my eye while I was browsing amazon and I have this on wishlist- The UK edition wont be out until January and the US one is unavailable but I cant get it in any case because I am on a book fast :(
But I will definitely add this on my January book splurge :D
I also hear that Kristin is working on a prequel called Fire.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Taphien

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 12:31:01 pm »
The prequel is actually already written and will come out in autumn 2009, but she is currently working on a sequel  ;D

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 06:04:45 pm »
I just read this.  It's really good.  I love Katsa and Po.   :)
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 06:09:38 pm »
Title please or ibsn
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 07:40:38 am »
Graceling is the title.
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Dusk

• Tinker
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 04:20:26 am »
so loving this book....it is definatly worth the read...best book i have read in a while  :D
I'm 90% Angel & 10% Devil  O) ....... or is that the other way around ;) :P

Dusk

• Tinker
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 01:50:31 am »
Has anyone read her new book Fire??? Was looking at it on the weekend and it looked promising  :D

Sofy

• Tinker
  • I'm a lurker.
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 01:29:11 am »
I really enjoyed Graceling  :)

and Fire is on my TBR pile.....but as it's with about 40 others....I don't know when I'll read it  LOL
First Worshipper of the Goddess Caffeine !!!!

lilliana

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 09:24:28 am »
I have added Graceling and Fire to my wish list... sounds like a good read.  :)

Shipa

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 06:02:34 am »
I love love love these books. Both books are fantastic and Kristin's writing gets better with each book.

GRACELING - first book
FIRE - prequel/companion to Graceling
BITTERBLUE - sequel to Graceling, being written right now (Yay!!)
The time to stop talking is when the other person nods his head affirmatively but says nothing.
--Henry S. Haskins (1875-1957)

mystify

• Mechanic
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 03:38:11 pm »
I finished Fire last week. I do believe I liked it better than Graceling.  I don't want to post any spoilers but while I really liked Katsa and Po, I loved Fire and Brigan. I just realized the name may be a spoiler. :)   Fire is different from Katsa and I loved how she came to terms with herself. She may seem weak at first, but she's really not. There was one little thing that bugged me a bit, but I got over it. Anyway, great book. I didn't know if I wanted to buy Fire so I borrowed it from my library but now I think I'm going to have to find a copy.

lilliana

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 08:17:52 am »
I finished Fire last week. I do believe I liked it better than Graceling.  I don't want to post any spoilers but while I really liked Katsa and Po, I loved Fire and Brigan. I just realized the name may be a spoiler. :)   Fire is different from Katsa and I loved how she came to terms with herself. She may seem weak at first, but she's really not. There was one little thing that bugged me a bit, but I got over it. Anyway, great book. I didn't know if I wanted to buy Fire so I borrowed it from my library but now I think I'm going to have to find a copy.

Oh I'm glad to hear that Fire is better than Graceling. I was really unsure how I felt about Graceling when it was over. I enjoyed the story but not sure if I really cared for the heroine, Katsa. Anyway, I have Fire in my TBR pile and have been putting it off - but now I think I will read it next week.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 07:30:42 pm »
These look interesting! I'll have to check them out.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Dusk

• Tinker
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 02:08:25 pm »
Loved this book!!!! Was a bit unsure at first when i read the prequal but i soon got over it. Loved Fire as a character and she grew so much through the book.  :D
I wouldn't mind reading another Fire novel if she ever does one  ;D
I finished Fire last week. I do believe I liked it better than Graceling.  I don't want to post any spoilers but while I really liked Katsa and Po, I loved Fire and Brigan. I just realized the name may be a spoiler. :)   Fire is different from Katsa and I loved how she came to terms with herself. She may seem weak at first, but she's really not. There was one little thing that bugged me a bit, but I got over it.
Have to agree with you i really liked this match up and i think she has done amazing with this book as her second.