Author Topic: Love the Movie, Hate the Book  (Read 3268 times)

gryphon340

• Mechanic
Love the Movie, Hate the Book
« on: October 26, 2012, 05:09:49 pm »
For me it's "The Princess Bride". I tried reading the book four times.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: Love the Movie, Hate the Book
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 10:06:12 pm »
I've read the book once, and it only made me dislike Wesley. The movie is far better.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 10:43:13 pm »
If you'd read the book first, then seen the movie, you might have a different opinion, but what the heck.  That's not what happened.  I love all the 'framing' stuff in the book that can't be in a movie of it.  Like the side story about how Goldman came to "edit the good parts version" and how TPB GPV laid the groundwork, but a friend's mom, who was a psychologist brought home to him the lesson of "life's not fair" and how it changed the way he saw TPB GPV after that.

The one I can think of where I liked the movie but hate the book is "The Postman".
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 04:50:17 am »
"Desert Hearts", brilliant, romantic movie from a terrible (well, highly disappointing at least) book (Desert of the Heart).

I did try reading "The last Unicorn", but I really have problems finding the same poetic beauty the movie has for me in the novel. Wouldn't say I hate it, though, but Beagle's writing doesn't do much for me.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 08:35:04 pm »
I would agree. I really only enjoyed the book because it explained some things the movie left out.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 12:41:10 pm »
David Brin ‏@DavidBrin1 (tweeted)

The Postman: My take on the book vs the movie http://youtu.be/IgWH0BTaOMg
Retweeted by Diane Duane

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 02:46:43 pm »
Beautiful Creatures. Definitely! I saw the movie first and then read the book, but the book was full of some racial stereotypes and the plot was all over the place with very slow pace. I think the movie people did a much better job at making it less racially sensitive, upping the action, and streamlining the plot.

I also have to admit that I do prefer the LOTR movies over the books - and yes, I read the books first when I was a child/teen.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 07:27:01 pm »
I prefer the LOTR movies as well, though I also enjoy the books.  But there's portions of the books that I find tedious, and for the most part they're left out of the movies.  I couldn't get into the trilogy when I first tried reading it, though I really loved the Hobbit, but once I saw the first movie, I devoured all three books. 

Baum Diggity

• Mechanic
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 05:10:19 am »
That's why I'm so glad they slipped in the Silmarillion into the Hobbit. I read Hobbit and the trilogy, but I didn't get far into the Silmarillion before trying to pronounce names in my head, and track the plot at the same time became too much for me. When I struggle to read names in my head, I feel sad, so I had to stop. :(
Zoologist. Artist. Athlete.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 08:02:54 pm »
Bump?