Author Topic: How does Vampirism work in the Mercyverse?  (Read 5920 times)

Venus

• writers
  • Mechanic
How does Vampirism work in the Mercyverse?
« on: November 07, 2008, 04:53:54 pm »
I just realized, after reading a few different authors over the last week or so that I dont really know exactly how vampirism works on Mercy's world.

Mainly, does the blood have to come from a living victim or could a vampire, if they chose to, drink blood that was taken from a body and transported to them? Like blood donors I have seen in some books, or could they drink synthetic blood as I have seen in others.

Just curious exactly how vampires work.

Also, how are vampires made?

If someone knows the answer it doesnt need to be Patty who answers. I scanned the books and looked through the mercys world compilation on the site and didn't really see the exact answers but I could have missed em.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 08:55:00 pm by Elle »

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
Re: Vampires
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 03:17:06 pm »
Vampires are very difficult to make in Mercy's world (because they are so very, very tough).  There has to be an exchange of blood over a long period of time (this varies from vampire to vampire, and from fledgling to fledgling) and the change is (mostly) gradual from human to vampire.

Mercy doesn't know if they have to drink blood from someone living (every vampire she's seen feed does) or if they can use blood bank blood/synthetic blood.  (And what Mercy doesn't know/or what hasn't appeared in print -- is all subject to change <grin>)  I actually don't know if we (in the real world) have a synthetic replacement for blood (as is used by Charlaine Harris's terrific series) . . . I don't think so, but I can ask my sister the doctor (she knows everything). 

Best,
Patty

Venus

• writers
  • Mechanic
Re: Vampires
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 03:32:02 pm »
Thanks for the answer Patty.

I have read some on the fake blood. They do have a powder now that they can mix up to make blood out of but I can't remember why it is not in mass use yet. Either needed more testing or certification. Don't recall. I can't remember the details but it might be based on human blood somewhere along the line so it wouldn't be entirely synthetic.