Author Topic: Werewolves with existing defects  (Read 11491 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Werewolves with existing defects
« on: November 06, 2008, 07:34:05 pm »
Hello, good lady!

The mention of the werewolf whose mate was blind, but could see if he was in the same room made me wonder:

What happens when someone who has some imperfection is Changed?  Would, for instance, someone who was colorblind or tone deaf now be able to see colors and hear the differences in tones?  What about someone with a born club foot?  Someone who had had something amputated?

Thank you!
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: Werewolves with existing defects
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 08:24:56 pm »
Just my two cents, but I think becoming a werewolf wouldn't remove genetic defects. However, if you were born with something but it wasn't related to genes, I think that would be fixed.

bingomzan

• Grease Monkey
  • Wolf link is the ultimate werewolf!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 08:26:54 pm »
my guess, is that everything would be fixed, even genetic defects. (magic > genetics > injuries) type setup.
***BONE CROSSED IS AMAZING!***   ***MY FAVORITE CHARACTER IS THE FAE WALKING STICK!!!***

Important Event Log
***Patty's books are ANTIQUES***

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 09:30:22 pm »
The did change Walter? (sorry if I got the name wrong...the vet from the first Mercy book) to cure his disease (cancer, yes?), so I would assume that it would cure any non-genetic disease/injury.

Gah I need to go back and re-read the first book.

However, I think if the genetic defect was too serious, they probably wouldn't survive the change.

Just some random thoughts: it would seem like your dna would have to change to accommodate changing into a wolf at least once a month, so it might override your genetic defects during that time. Another thought: maybe genetic defects (possibly unknown of at the time of change) cause people not to survive the change

/2cents

Cole

• Grease Monkey
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 06:07:56 pm »
i think amputees stay amputees

There is no place like /~

Reu

• Tinker
  • Draco invictus!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 11:47:29 pm »
Isn't surviving the change more about will than physical ability?  It seems that those who survive are strong in will and spirit.  The good doctor in the first book, IMO, shows us that. In that regards, I think pre-existing conditions are cured - diabetes, heart problems, cancer - are cured.  Werewolves, after all, are in peak physical condition.  However, amputations are forever, IMHO.  We know were wolves heal fast, but they don't seem to spontaneously regenerate severed body parts.

But what of genetic problems? Interesting question.  Things like color blindness, I think, they are stuck with. It's not that the magic can fix it, but if they don't have that genetic ability, how can the 'magic' fix something that they don't have. If the 'magic' could fix color blindness, you think it would have found a way for the females to carry a fetus to full term. (Although, that might be more due to the nature of it being a curse/virus in a way.  If the females can carry a werecub to full term, there would be no need for the magic/curse/virus to spread via near death maulings. Hmm. Discussion for another time, I think.)
Back to the genetics - if you are color blind you are missing the genes that allow you to see in color. It's part of the genetic make-up. I don't see that being 'fixed' by changing.  The flip side - if you have extra fingers, I don't see how becoming a werewolf would 'fix' your genetic make-up to cause those extra fingers to stop being there.  I do see it stopping genetic tendencies towards diseases, mainly because the magic/curse/virus keeps the werewolf/human in peak physical condition. It fixes the body before the disease can take hold.

So, I don't see Bran suffering from Alzheimer, nor do I see Adam suffering from Huntington's. But I can see Honey being color blind. ;)

To sum up my very, very long winded ideas:
Common diseases - cured through changing
Loss of limbs/genetically related problems - probably not
Genetically related diseases - it may not cure, it just keeps them from being able to occur
Don't let the muggles get you down.
-Ron Weasley

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 04:18:00 am »
Now that you mention it, I don't see why amputations wouldn't heal, just as other wounds do. 
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 07:49:46 pm »
To sum up my very, very long winded ideas:
Common diseases - cured through changing
Loss of limbs/genetically related problems - probably not
Genetically related diseases - it may not cure, it just keeps them from being able to occur

Like the age associated ones wouldn't happen.

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 02:32:04 pm »
I'm with Reu on this mostly.  Genetic defects that start out good and get worse over time (like my poor eyesight for instance or maybe a weak heart) would fix themselves.   So if it was once good and is getting worse . . . then it would go back to being good (cancer/heart disease/MS/arthritis for example).  If you were born with a club foot  or fallen arches . . . you'd still have it -- but it wouldn't both you as much because any pain/damage you did to it would heal quickly.

Old scars stay around -- unless you do something drastic like cut them off, in which case they'd heal like any other wound.  Amputations, I think would be like scars.  One of LKH's werewolves (the nurse, but I can't think of her name off hand) who'd had an amputated limb before she was changed.  The wolf who changed her, cut more of her limb off -- and then it regrew. I think that story is in Blue Moon  -- it seemed pretty logical to me.  (however, I don't have anything about this in print, so I reserve the right to change my mind <grin>). 

I expect I'll handle this on a case by case basis and choose what seems most logical to me.
Best,
Patty

Blade

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 12:27:06 pm »
One of LKH's werewolves (the nurse, but I can't think of her name off hand) who'd had an amputated limb before she was changed.  The wolf who changed her, cut more of her limb off -- and then it regrew. I think that story is in Blue Moon  -- it seemed pretty logical to me.  (however, I don't have anything about this in print, so I reserve the right to change my mind <grin>). 

The nurse is Cherry, and she's a wereleopard. There are a couple of more ... um ... salacious examples in LKH's books where weres take advantage of their regenerative abilities or others with same.