Author Topic: Older Child and Younger Teen Stories  (Read 23434 times)

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
Older Child and Younger Teen Stories
« on: October 27, 2008, 11:33:40 am »
Does anyone know good stories for young teens? I have a couple sisters who keep trying to read my stories, which are just a little too old for them ::). Any ideas? They are both girls but ideas for boys would be cool too.

Sorry if there is a thread for this already, but I could not find it.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
Re: Older Child and Younger Teen Stories
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 12:29:31 pm »
Garath Nix's Abhorsen Trilogy maybe depending on their age.  Roald Dahl, Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series,

I will add more when I get home and can access my spreadsheet. 

ok...everyone beat me to them  ;D I will have to dig deeper

edited to explain why no further authors added
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 07:42:07 am by e_booklover »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 12:39:55 pm »
Diane Duane's "Young Wizards" series, Diana Wynne Jones, Tamora Pierce, Terry Pratchett's Diskworld novels for younger readers, "The Wee Free Men", A Hatful of Sky, etc.  Actually, the ones in the adult section from him would be fine, too.
David Eddings Belgariad, Mallorean, & the 2 trilogies about Sparhawk & co.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 02:25:17 pm »
Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series.  The Dragonsong trilogy by Anne McCaffrey.  Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain (starts with The Book of Three), actually anything by him is good for young readers.  Those Christopher Paolini books about a dragon and her boy.  Anything by Patricia Wrede.  Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising sequence.  Rick Riordan's Olympians series.  The Spiderwick Chronicles.  The Narnia books.  A Wrinkle in TimeThe Doll PeopleThe City of Ember and its subsequent books.  Zenna Henderson's books about The People, but anything by her is good (although hard to find sometimes; on the other hand, they might be more likely to be in the library).  The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.  Don't laugh, but the Oz books.  The Sisters Grimm Series by Michael Buckley.  We're trying out Inkheart, but haven't read enough to say if it's good or not yet.  The first book of the Ranger's Apprentice series, The Ruins of Gorlan, was good (thanks to Gryphon for the recommendation  :D ). 

Not fantasy/sf: A book called George Washington, Spymaster.  History, but my niece loved it.  If they like animals, anything by Albert Payson Terhune (dogs); Misty of Chincoteague and the rest of those.  Edith Hamilton's MythologyLittle House on the Prairie books. 

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head. 
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 03:42:28 pm »
As usaual Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan and The Cherub Series By Robert Muchamore.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 04:47:17 pm »
anything Redwall is great.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 05:19:51 pm »
I can't agree, Gryphon.  For some people, yes.  I can't get into them myself.  Maybe I came into them too old, but they're too twee for me.  On the other hand, while I like the 75+ year old 'Freddie the Pig' books, he's interacting with humans, and I can't stand Wind in the Willows, either.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 05:42:30 pm »
I never got into red wall either, and I tried them off and on from the time I was 10 to about 16. I would recomend the first of Erin Hunter's cat series, but I can't remember the name of it. Black Beauty.

Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Rider's of Pern, Jane Yolen's Pit Dragon Trilogy, Piers Anthony's Xanth series. Three sereis I was obsessed with in middle school. That's also about when I first Lackey's Valdimar series for the first time, but that one has a bit more violence/sex then the others, but no inappropiate in my opinion. Hmm, Tamora Peirce. Chicken Soup for the whatever soul, (really great if they like real stories too). Animorphs, were good too. Goddess of Yesterday was good too, can't remember author though.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 05:47:47 pm by Zealith »

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 05:45:51 pm »
Can't believe I forgot these ones, Earthsea, can't remeber the author's name, but their other books were good too.  Witch world by Andre norton. Actually, I loved all her books.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 05:47:00 pm »
Can't believe I forgot these ones, Earthsea, can't remeber the author's name, but their other books were good too.  Witch world by Andre norton. Actually, I loved all her books.

What she said.  I can't believe I forgot them, either.
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 06:09:13 pm »
Ursula K. LeGuin.
And many another good story by her.  Robert Heinlein's juveniles.

Zealith, you know Norton!  So, how Nortonish did you feel Brycht's tale was in the challenge?  PM me, so we're not off topic here, or else go to the challenge discussion thread.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 07:07:38 pm »
Thanks guys! Y'all reminded me of authors I forgot and listed many new new ones! Please keep the thoughts coming. Both my sisters read voraciously.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 07:13:59 am »
I'm going to second Tamora Pierce (Her Song of the Lioness Quartet, Kel quartet, the new Beka Cooper series, Daine's quartet, etc.). And also add Patricia Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles and mairelon the magician, Gail Carson Levine's Ella Enchanted (who hasn't heard of that one though?) and Two Princesses of Bamarre or Meg Cabot's Mediator series. My favorite books when I was younger were The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare and The Giver by Lois Lowry. I'm sure I'll think of some more later. I unfortunately didn't read too many ya books. I skipped straight from children to regular sci-fi fantasy. If they're looking for something fun to read, Piers Anthony's Xanth series isn't bad for that age and the first about 5 are really fun (and a select few after that).

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 02:26:49 pm »
I can't believe I forgot this one too, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 08:34:53 am »
David Grossman, Someone to run with.

Gregory Galloway, As simple as snow.

Philip Pullman's Sally Lockhart trilogy (The ruby in the smoke, The shadow in the north, The tiger in the well).

Mikhail Bulgakov, The Master and Margarita.

Jorge Amado, Dona Flor and her two husbands.

That's all for the time being. ;)

Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.