Author Topic: Older Child and Younger Teen Stories  (Read 20225 times)

sumalmamus

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Older Child and Younger Teen Stories
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2011, 06:41:41 pm »

And Joan Aiken, who also wrote for older teen to adult under Joan Aiken Hodges
There's a rather amusing looking website here:  http://joanaiken.com/pages/books.html

I couldn't let this pass me by. Joan Aiken and JANE Aiken Hodge are sisters, they have an author brother named John and their father was the poet Conrad Aiken. Joan Aiken first book was The Wolves of Willoughby Chase with very witty humor that I still remember the matter of fact way they ride in a sleigh and the servants bonk the wolves on the head when they get too close. She developed this into an alternative history series, she wrote many children's books often with supernatural or mythic themes but also thrillers and droll historical romances with a lot of feminist themes. She also wrote a series of "sequels" to Jane Austen's books.

Her sister Jane fully shared her wit and irony, although she is primarily known for writing ironic regency/historical romances such as Maulever Hall (from goodreads.com "It is the perfect gothic: heroine with amnesia, dark, brooding hero, nameless villain, child in jeopardy, forbidding dwelling...")which is truly as much of a send up as Joan's Wolves series of the tropes of popular fiction. I also read and reread The Adventurers and Watch the Wall My Darling. Over the years she started writing more and more grim historical based novels so her earliest novels (romps) were definitely my faves. She wrote amazing biographies of Georgette Heyer and Jane Austen. Jane never wrote for children.

sumalmamus

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2011, 06:47:04 pm »
I also would add Sally Watson and her Witch of the Glens and her Egypt books. Not really fantasy except that everyone around her believes orphaned Kelpie is a witch. I think she wrote some Oz books also but never read those.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2019, 10:21:18 am »
I also would add Sally Watson and her Witch of the Glens and her Egypt books. Not really fantasy except that everyone around her believes orphaned Kelpie is a witch. I think she wrote some Oz books also but never read those.

I am just astonished that anyone remembers Sally Watson besides me. She was my absolute favorite for years, and you never hear of her.

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2019, 10:29:33 am »
https://www.tor.com/2019/07/11/heinlein-juveniles-vs-andre-norton-young-adult-novels/

Something to think about.

I was very into Heinlein as a teen, but the older I got, the creepier he seemed wrt women. Norton was, I think, the first YA/SF writer I read who included characters who were not white as protagonists rather than supporting characters. Her writing can sound a little archaic, but I can't even read Heinlein anymore without feeling a little queasy.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2019, 02:21:18 pm »
When I think of Heinlein I remember he did it first. Others have done it better since. 8)