Author Topic: Laura Anne Gilman  (Read 5080 times)

mdauben

• Tinker
  • Sheep in Wolf's Clothing
Laura Anne Gilman
« on: October 08, 2008, 04:39:28 am »
Another author with no thread yet!?  ???

I just started reading the author's Retrivers series.  Its about a woman named Wren who used her magic abilites to "retrieve" stollen or lost item with the help of her buisness partner, Sergei.  The first book (Staying Dead) was pretty good, with some mystery, action, secret societies, and a bit of tension between the two main characters in a world of undercover magic and supernatural creatures.  The series is currently five books long. 

The first book is pretty good, and I'll be reading the others in the series next.   :)
Mike

"To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful."

Staplegun

• Mechanic
Re: Laura Anne Gilman
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 06:29:33 am »
I really loved the first three in the series, but someone gave me a bad review for Burning Bridges, so I have yet to pick it up. I have problems spending the money for a trade-size on something I may not like. I do want to get it, though, they said the only problem with it was that it was not a lot of action. It was mostly politics. (I can't say whether or not this is true as I have yet to read it) I do love the first three though with wren and sergei. :) I would recommend them.

Interesting world, interesting characters, interesting plot. I like it :)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 09:28:53 am »
I like this series as well- Although I havent read Burning Bridges yet although I have the 5th book as well-

Laura is also writing a paranormal romance series which will debut next year.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Venus

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 02:16:48 pm »
I just finished burning bridges last night. It took me two days TWO DAYS to read it. I can usually complete a novel in 4 hours if I want. The book just slowed me down.

I loved the first books in the series. Truly. I have all of them and was very excited to sit down with burning bridges. But...I really had a hard time finishing it. The plot was good. The characters were still the same goodness. The problem was it felt like it needed edited just one more time. It slips from one persons head to another in allot of places leaving me wondering who's head I am in. And dialogue goes from one person to another without mentioning who is talking, it supposed to be implied and usually makes sense once your into the next paragraph but it does slow you down when you keep having to back track to see what is going on.

It was very repetitive in reference to the other books. I saw atleast twice where she referenced a situation from her other books the same situation in different scenes. She kept going over the same details as though she added it and forgot she added it in the other books.

There are also places where things are mentioned you think are relevant then at the end of the book seems to have not had any relevance at all. Over all I think the book could have been edited down to about half its length if you removed the pointless and the repetitive.

I think the book could have been awesome if she just spent the time to do one more edit. Really after reading her last books I think it may have been a fluke? Or I hope it was. I would still suggest the other books in the series and plan to at least look at the next one to see if it is better before putting aside the author for good.

Spoiler: At the end I found the strangest thing to be that all the characters she carefully introduced through the book...just die at the end. She doesn't even make emotional or interesting scenes for them. Just tells us at the end that most of them died. None of the truly memorable characters died, just the ones created in, and it seems for, that book.

OTenshi

• Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 09:20:19 pm »
Burning Bridges did go slower than her other books, but I really enjoyed all of her work to date.
I think I'm allergic to seriousness.  I seem to break out in hives every time I try it out.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 03:23:45 pm »
She has posted a teaser from the next Wren book at http://cosanostradamus.blogspot.com/
Enjoy.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 03:25:32 pm »
Ohhh thank you!!!!!!

I forgot there was a book coming out soon!
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 03:26:20 pm »
I can't wait!  I still have unanswered questions from the last one.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 03:41:06 pm »
She has posted a very amusing filk about literary agents to the tune of "I'm Tired"  Enjoy :)
http://suricattus.livejournal.com/1025701.html?#cutid1

wizardbear

• Mechanic
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 01:31:47 pm »
She is also published as Anna Leonard. Works include:
Dreamcatcher, Nocturne e-book (August 2008)
The Night Serpent, Nocturne (September 2008)
The Hunted, Nocturne (April, 2010)

Janilee

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 02:29:03 am »
Book Giveaway For
Tricks of the Trade (Paranormal Scene Investigations #3)
by Laura Anne Gilman

http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/16096

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.