Author Topic: Fantasy that is NOT in English?  (Read 19380 times)

Jabulani

• Mechanic
  • Life is waaayyy too short to be grumpy...
Re: Fantasy that is NOT in English?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2010, 09:34:49 am »
Okay, this is about a sci-fi novel I read as a child, not fantasy, but I hope no one minds. It was in Afrikaans, but I do not know whether it had been translated from English. Nor can I remember the title or the author's name. It was a long time ago...

Essentially, the plot goes like this. Mankind has reached the point where our pollution and overpopulation of the planet threatens to cause the utter devastation of the planet, as well as the extinction of almost every other species.

Then a mysterious plant starts growing all over the world. Ten meters tall, fleshy, and unstoppable. It even grows on the continental shelf in the sea. Millions upon millions of humans die, but most other animal species seem to thrive, because the plant is edible by Terran herbivores, and as their numbers increase (whilst human numbers decrease), the carnivores also thrive.

Eventually, the human scientists realize that the plant does not live off minerals in the ground, but actually feed of all the pollutants in the air and water. Everyone thinks it is a mutation of some fungus or moss, but then a number of people get abducted by aliens and taken to one of Jupiter's moons where there is a huge observation post manned by any number of alien species.

It turns out that the plant was seeded on Earth by those aliens, in order to prevent the extinction of so many animal species. Their philosophy is that the individual counts for nothing, except as a member of a species. The species is all-important, because ANY species can evolve to become sentient. And if a species that might have become sentient becomes extinct because of another species' actions, then that is a crime and demands some kind of punitive action. That philosophy justifies the punishment of the criminal species with the death sentence (essentially, being completely exterminated), but the aliens have been merciful, and allowed us a second chance, in order to prove that we can learn from our mistakes.

At that point, the abductees are returned to Earth, where they learn that the plant had started to die off, as they had cleaned the air and water of the planet of pollutants. And wherever they die, the rotting plant serves to refertilize the soil.
I'd rather enjoy life...besides, it costs nothing to smile!!!

Jabulani

• Mechanic
  • Life is waaayyy too short to be grumpy...
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2011, 01:19:48 am »
Here is a synopsis of another sci-fi novel I read as a child, titled 'Die Rooi Planeet' (or 'the red planet'). It was written in Afrikaans, and has since then been translated into a number of languages, but under a different title.

Essentially, it involves a South African space mission to Mars, that consists of ten astronauts - both male and female. Halfway there all radio transmissions from Earth stop, after a final transmission that tells of the outbreak of a major nuclear war. The astronauts conclude that all human life had been wiped out, leaving them as the only survivors of the species, and that they would have to somehow survive on Mars.

Arriving on Mars, they opt to land in one of the canals, where they proceed to construct a dug-in base in the side of the canal. The canal's are the eroded canyons of ancient rivers, and in the Martian summer the water resurface. And as soon as that happens, a plant starts growing on the river banks, which releases oxygen into the atmosphere. However, because the Martian atmosphere is so light, the oxygen tends to stay at the bottom of the canals, enabling the humans to eventually become used to the low pressure and low level of oxygen and walk around outside without artifical aids or suits.

Then, after a full Martian year, they suddenly receive a transmission from Earth, and learn that their ordeal was an experiment by NASA and the South African Space Agency to see whether humans could successfully colonize Mars. They are told that they were left under the impression that they could never return to Earth in order to give them extra motivation to succeed in their colonization effort. At first they are livid, but then one of the women gives birth to the first Mars-born baby and they all realize that none of them actually want to return to Earth. Thus humankind's first permanent off-planet colony is formally founded.
I'd rather enjoy life...besides, it costs nothing to smile!!!

kimiwaju

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 02:44:26 am »
Hi another great german author is Richard Schwartz. He writes fantasy and publishes at least 2-3 books a year..which is great...if anyone wants to know more please say sooo...

greetings JU