Author Topic: Fantasy that is NOT in English?  (Read 19335 times)

lacrima

• Tool Wrangler
  • Sleep is overrated anyway. Where's my coffee ?
Re: Fantasy that is NOT in English?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 05:05:51 am »
I recommend also Wolfgang Hohlbein, especially "Flut". I liked it better than the "Märchenmond"-Books. Still, he's one of my favorite german authors.

And if you want to read something in Russian language, why not "Nochnoi dozor" by Sergej Lukianenko? There are some great books in russian, but most of them are a little too creepy for me. ;D

oh, and I forgot Christian von Aster and Walter Moers. They're also german writers, and I love them both. If you like dwarfs, you'll like von Aster. Walter Moers writing style is somewhat comparable to Terry Pratchett. :)

please excuse any grammar errors, I not that good in English, especially not in writing it... ;)

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 12:27:07 pm by lacrima »

"Give me an opportunity to fail. I promise that my corpse won't interrupt your 'I told you so' speech."

Louve_des_bois

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 11:25:45 am »
Alors en français :  ;)

- Les rivières pourpres
- le cercle des loups
- le concile de pierre

All by Jean-Chistophe Grangé. Some of his books have been made into films. They start like a "normal" thriller but always with a fantasy twist.

Also :
Les fourmis by Bernard Werber

Books by Daniel Pennac, they are not Sci Fi or fantasy, but they are off-the-wall, and with a very dark humour.

There are others French Classic Sci Fi books, but I cannot remember, I will ask around.

Happy reading  :D

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 11:27:44 am »
Alors en français :  ;)

- Les rivières pourpres
- le cercle des loups
- le concile de pierre

All by Jean-Chistophe Grangé. Some of his books have been made into films. They start like a "normal" thriller but always with a fantasy twist.

Fudge!! I had completely forgotten about him!! :o Loved Les rivières pourpres, the movie wasn't bad either, even though the end is completely different from the book. :)
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 11:39:15 am »
Thanks, Louve_des_bois!

Je suis heureuse que le forum ait ceux qui parlent francais maintenant.

Welcome!

J'essayerai les trouver. We'll see how that goes Oo

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 09:07:29 am »
BUMP
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Olenka

• Mechanic
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 05:31:44 pm »
Pourquoi vous n'essaiez pas les livres de temps anciens? Pour instance, "Tristan et Isaud" par Berault? On peut y trouver les elements de magique avec la romance.

(Please excuse any errors in  my French, it has been a while since I've tried to write, as opposed to read, in it!)

Sofy

• Tinker
  • I'm a lurker.
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 02:33:17 am »
French fantasy books, I can help you with that  ;)

- Henri Loevenbruck : 2 series mixing, celtisme, druidism, magic and wolves
  - La Moira (trilogie)
  - Gallica (trilogie)

- Pierre Pevel : magic, dragons..during the 17th century in France
  - Les Lames du Cardinal
  - L'Alchimiste des Ombres (sequel of the first)
First Worshipper of the Goddess Caffeine !!!!

Addicted Gamer

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 12:53:24 am »
I live in The Netherlands since I was 6, so I have read many, many Dutch books and some books that were translated into Dutch.

1) French writer Jean-Paul Sartre - Les Jeux sont faits
    Dutch translation: De teerling is geworpen (I read this one)

2) Dutch writer Thea Beckman - she wrote many, many historical children's books
    Kruistocht in Spijkerbroek - Crusade in Jeans (the main character was sent back to the past by his father by mistake)

The trilogy Kinderen van Moeder Aarde a futuristic novel set ten centuries after World War III, describing the struggle between utopian
    Thule (Greenland, after a climate change made it prosperous) and Baden (militaristic European nation)
    1) Kinderen van Moeder Aarde (Children of Mother Earth)
    2) Het helse paradijs (Hellish Paradise)
    3) Het Gulden Vlies van Thule (The Golden Fleece of Thule)

3) Dutch writer Tais Teng
    400 graden celsius in the schaduw - for a description of this book please go to the "Your first" thread

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 07:03:37 am »
Isabelle Allende - she's got some regular fiction and non-fiction, but also a YA trilogy that was pretty good: City of the Beasts, Forest of the Pygmies, and Kingdom of the Golden Dragon.  I believe she writes in Spanish, although I've only read the English versions (I'm Spanish-challenged...)

Salarika

• Tinker
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2010, 01:53:36 am »
Ansen Dibell's Kantmorie series was an odd one; the first three were published in English, but the last two only came out in French and Dutch. I had to really hunt to find those. Fortunately my French isn't too rusty.

Pursuit of the Screamer/Le Chasse d'Hurleur
Circle, Crescent, Star/Cercle, Lune, Etoile
Summerfair/La Fete d'Ete
Tidestorm Limit/Aux Confins de l'Ouragon
The Sun of Return/Le Soleil du Grand Retour

They're older, but worth it, with great world-building and characters.
Beyond the farthest shore
Beyond the land
My people are dancing
On the wind.
-Ursula K. LeGuin

Pfefferminztee

• Mechanic
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 05:16:59 am »
A great German author is Markus Heitz. He writes very classical fantasy (dwarfs, elves, etc..), but very nicely.
 Especially 'Zorn der Albae' is such a fantastic book. It is written about 'die Albae', the nemesis of all other races and cultures in those books. And they rock. I love the bad guys.

My favorite Hohlbein book is 'Midgard'.

Ah, and 'Momo' really is much better than 'Die unendliche Geschichte'. Michael Ende is a genius.

Btw Ottfried Preußler, the author of 'Krabat', was German, though he was born in what is Czech Republic today. Krabat is a great book. Very dark and romantic.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 07:05:02 am »
Momo :-LOVE

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

lacrima

• Tool Wrangler
  • Sleep is overrated anyway. Where's my coffee ?
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 03:16:36 am »
I recently finished "Grim: Das Siegel des Feuers" by Gesa Schwartz. It´s a doorstopper of a fantasy book, but I really liked it. It´s probably considered YA.

"Give me an opportunity to fail. I promise that my corpse won't interrupt your 'I told you so' speech."

Olenka

• Mechanic
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2010, 06:32:23 pm »
No one's mentioned the Polish author Andrej Sapkowski. He writes classic fantasy in a VERY dark setting.

Krew elfów  - "Blood of Elves" - has been published in English, as has a collection of short stories: "The Last Wish" (Ostatnie życzenie).

Olenka

• Mechanic
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010, 06:44:32 pm »
By the way, what are the Russian fantasy novels that you mentioned as "too creepy", Lacrima?

The only other Russian fantasy I've read is Svyashchennaya Kniga Oborotnya - translated in the English edition as "The Sacred Book of the Werewolf" by Viktor Pelevin. It's a very off-beat take on both the werewolf and the Oriental werefox mythos, set in modern Russia. However, it defies categorisation - it could be called urban fantasy, but it's got mystic philosophy, Buddhism, milleniarism and political satire all thrown into the mix - simply brilliant!

I'm now reading his "Myth of the Minotaur" - set entirely in a very wierd chatroom...